Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stinky suitcases

leaette

A-List Customer
I have 5 suitcases from the 40's. And they stink! Musty type smell. And every time that I use them, whatever I put in them smells like the suitcases. It's an offensive smell to me and it grosses me out.

I've cleaned them with soap and water. Febreeze. Baking soda (the ones you put in your fridge). Old newspapers crumpled up (I read somewhere that the paper soaks up odors), I've aired them out for several days in the sun on my backporch. And maybe some other things that I can't think of right now. They are clean (I mean like not dirty) but that smell just won't go away.

Am I destined to have stinky suitcases?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
leaette said:
I have 5 suitcases from the 40's. And they stink! Musty type smell. And every time that I use them, whatever I put in them smells like the suitcases. It's an offensive smell to me and it grosses me out.

I've cleaned them with soap and water. Febreeze. Baking soda (the ones you put in your fridge). Old newspapers crumpled up (I read somewhere that the paper soaks up odors), I've aired them out for several days in the sun on my backporch. And maybe some other things that I can't think of right now. They are clean (I mean like not dirty) but that smell just won't go away.

Am I destined to have stinky suitcases?

I don't know how it will do for musty stinky smell, but this stuff works like no one's business on cat urine. I know for a fact, I had the "Seinfeld" car, due to a little accident the cat had on a long trip. I tried every kind of smell-be-gone there is out there. After all of it, this one worked like the miracle I had been praying for. I used it once. That was all it took. It may be worth a try!

here is the link: www.scoe10x.com

Miss Brill

One Too Many
This is why I sniff things before I buy--if is has the faintest odor, I pass on it. I have only come across 4 pieces of luggage that don't smell. I bought a Starline train case awhile back & it smells like crayons. [huh] I only paid $2.00, and I mostly bought it as decor, but I do like using luggage as storage.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, ~*Red*~, I ordered a bottle, as I have some funky thrift store clothes that are too beautiful to throw away and I can't even abide the smell to trace a pattern from them.
leaette, when my dad had a trunk from the 1940s that reeked he put a lot of cat litter in it, for about a week. It worked.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I have also tried cat litter(odor absorbing) in a paper bag and leave it there for a week or so. It soaks up the smell - though it does smell slightly of cat litter for a while then. Which is less offensive - I'll leave you to be the judge.

drjones

A-List Customer
not to change the subject...but....

This seems like the forum for this so...here goes. Excuse me in advance if I am wrong.

I have a vintage suitcase from my grandfather. He got it in Japan to bring back all the trinkets he had bought for my mom and her sisters while overseas. Its solid metal (think aircraft skin ) on the outside and dark blue silk inside. I was thinking of posting a picture or two....anyone interested in seeing?

DRJONES

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They might have mold deep in places where you can't see or get at. You've done the things my wife usually tries and that normally work. Even with cat pee on suitcases, which we've had, your routine should work. I'm thinking from some of the older 1940s suitcases my parents once had that there are layers in the construction of the sides and that is where "something" is hiding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn