1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Buco Horsehide Pants Restoration Project: seeking advice

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Motorbass, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Motorbass

Motorbass New in Town

I recently got this wonderful pair of vintage Buco racing pants in horsehide. Does anyone recognize the specific model? I have not seen this model that has legs like a pair of jeans, but is padded like Bucos racing breeches. The pair came even with the original Buco belt. They have certainly seen better days. To my disappointment RAM Cleaners in Detroit refused to repair and clean them for reasons I don't know. Yes, they smell like they were doused in gasoline, they arrived in my place smelling like that. Now, it's a restoration project. The main question I have is how to get rid of the gasoline smell. I read things like storing them in an airtight bag with baking soda. Any other ideas? What about cleaning? Saddle soap? Then Pecard? Any advise is highly welcome. Thanks[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

So33, Michael A, Gamma68 and 2 others like this.
  2. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

When stuff smells I put it outside and leave it there until it doesn't smell. That is the most effective technique I have used or know. I've had jackets take months to loose ordor, but it did work. I have not tried any of the techniques you mentioned.

Motorbass likes this.
  3. Carlos840

Carlos840 One Too Many

Fully agreed, i don't have as much experience with old jackets as Terry does, but i have noticed that even after washing some jackets still have that old attic smell.
    In that case, leaving them hanging outside for sometimes as long as a couple weeks was the things that worked best for me.

Motorbass likes this.
  4. Motorbass

Motorbass New in Town

Thanks. Worked! It still has a hint of gas, but maybe that should be called character..:))

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

5. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Gasoline does evaporate, so in theory, the longer you leave it out, the more the odor will fade. (Just don’t light a match while wearing them until that gas odor is gone!) ;)

6. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Yup...leave it outdoors and let nature take care of it.......