Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stogie mag hunt

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Call me timid, but I have really been interested in lighting something on fire and sticking it in my mouth. Yet due to my fire breathing friends here, I became interested when I saw Cigar Aficionado magazine in the airport a couple of weeks ago. I picked it up and began looking through the pages. I found the layout and art direction appealing. Unfortunately my flight was called and I had to go.

Since that time I have been trying to find a copy. I have stopped into many a store and magazine stand. All out. Gone. Why has this publication been so hard to find?

Today I found a copy in Gelson's grocery store. I think the problem has been that Francis Ford Coppala is on the cover. I am getting ready to set down and peruse it's pages. I give a review after.

CA-Sept-Oct.03-Coppola.jpg

I am no closer to lighting something on fire and sticking it in my mouth, but the culture that goes with cigars is alluring.

Jsoftz

New in Town
I've never smoked a cigar (or anything) before, but on my 18th birthday I do plan to try and light up a cigar. However.. I have no idea where to buy one or what the rituals of smoking one are. Plus my parents won't be crazy about it, haha.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
I do not drink. I do not take drugs. I do not smoke. I have never had the desire to any of these things. However, for some reason the cigar smoking has become ever more interesting to me. Twice this year I have "attempted" to smoke a cigar. I say attempted because I really had no idea what the heck I was doing. I spent most of my time fumbling about trying to keep the damn things lit! Yes, I have a smoking disability. However, for some reason I can still see myself enjoying a cigar every now and then. For someone who is very anti-smoking this is very strange.

Sergei

Gone Home
Edge,
That was my feeling when I got started. I never smoked cigarettes. I just never had the desire. My parents never smoked and I never thought to light up. Never thought it was cool.

The way cigar smoking started for me was in college. It was a perfect way to end a meal. Back in the days, when I went to school, you could light up anywhere, anytime. So the bunch of guys, I went to school with, either smoke a cigarette, a pipe or smoked a cigar. Later, when I went into business and traveling to Europe, they especially lit up a fine Cuban cigar after a fine meal. I was hooked. It was a perfect night cap. Or even better, when you are under stress and need that quiet time. The cigar is your quiet friend that gives you those 45 minutes of downtime. In this stressful world, you need the time to relax. And there is now way it's addicting. You don't inhale. Also the nicotine in a cigar is almost non-existent. The tobacco is way different from cigarette tobacco. Also the manufacturing process of the cigar, ferments out most of the nicotine.

Just my .02.....

-Sergei

Dalexs

Practically Family
I think part of the interest comes, as MK stated, the allure of the culture. But also, unlike cigarettes, cigar smoking can be quite enjoyable and relaxing when done right.
Ask Runquist How NOT to do it... (I seem to recall). ;)

I grew up with a dad that smoked 3-4 packs of cigs a day for almost 50 years (and he's still alive...go figure...).
I have never felt the need to pick up that habit.

But I DO enjoy a cigar every so often, mostly because when I do smoke them, its usually with good friends or my brother in law who smokes very fine cigars.

In fact. that reminds me. I have a fine import from vacation just waiting to be fired up!

Dalexs

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Sergei And there is now way it's addicting. You don't inhale. Just my .02.....

-Sergei [/B]

See, that's what I don't get. How do you not inhale. I've heard that said before but the concept still alludes me.

Sergei

Gone Home
Well if you inhale, you quickly realize that you will turn green. I have seen cigarette smokers try to inhale, and they quickly realize you don't do it. You just puff, and exhale.

The taste sensors in your mouth take over from there. There are no taste sensors in your lungs. The cigarette crowd inhales to get the nicotine quickly absorbed into the blood stream, hence the rush.

There is no concept of that with cigar smoking (getting a rush). It's like sipping a fine brandy, a single malt scotch, etc. You sip it, not slug it down. You slowly sip it or in cigars, draw it in your mouth to savor the flavor. You have a slow, lazy draw into your mouth and slowly puff the smoke out. From there you will notice that there are different flavors depending on the tobacco wrapper, the binder and the filler part of the cigar. They can range from nutty, pepper, coffee, coco bean, chocolate, vanilla, etc.

The goal is to get you to relax and mellow out. Or in some cases, you celebrate a job well done.

-Sergei

Sergei

Gone Home
Originally posted by MK
... Why has this publication been so hard to find?

... but the culture that goes with cigars is alluring.

My guess is, the magazine is being bitten by this new world of being "politically correct". Ever since Rob Reiner won with his famous proposition, the crowd (the sheep) turned negative on the cigar smokers. Rob, single handedly, put out of business the many "mom and pop" cigar shops in California that have been in business for generations. The sin tax, made it too expensive to buy smokes locally in California. You used to smoke cigars anywhere outside, or in bars. Not anymore. Our civil liberties have been taken away. I buy most of my smokes, out of state. The savings is huge.

In my previous jobs, I would often entertain out of town guests like the Japanese and French, who smoke like steel smoke stacks. I had the unfortunate duty of telling them that they can no longer smoke after dinner at the restaurant or at the bar. They would make the comment that they thought this was the "land of liberty".

Anyway, I digressed. Cigar Afficianado was really popular when it first came out in the early 90's. It created the big cigar boom. That was really bad for me as a cigar smoker. Why? Because, that created a new market of newbies that caused a problem with supply and demand. Prices quickly went up. But not only prices, but my favorite smokes, that I would often get, would be commonly on backlog for months.

The cigar boom ended when the PC movement was starting to rear it's ugly head. In a way, that made me happier, since prices went down and the supply situation is no longer so accute. But I have noticed the Cigar Afficianado magazine harder and harder to find. It's another casualty of the PC movement.

And to Rob Reiner.... I am so glad that our taxes are going somewhere. I am hoping this audit that Arnold is about to start, will examine where all the sin tax money went. I would guess, that a mere percentage went to the children, but rather to the massive state beauracy. Good job, Rob.

Colt

Familiar Face
MK, You can pick up a CA at Barnes and Noble, Borders, tower records bbok store has them aslo and just about any cigar shop. I decided just to subscribe well worth the $20 a year so I don't have to travel all over to try and find one.

I started Cigars about 5 yrs ago. Took a little break and just started again about 6 months ago. As Sergi has stated Don't inhale. Here is site that has alot of info and I also enjoy the forums. www.cigaraficionado.com

I think we need to have a get together of poker and cigars! :D

Sergei

Gone Home
Well what about this idea?

Rent a cabin. Poker, cigars, shooting, etc. While the DVD is continiously running in the background, playing.... you know what?

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Re: Re: Stogie mag hunt

Originally posted by Sergei
I buy most of my smokes, out of state. The savings is huge.

Sergei,
Do you buy them online or do you pick them up when travelling? I have kicked the idea of buying a humidor around for awhile now and keeping cigars on hand. Right now I usually buy then for special occasions and there are always a few that go unsmoked and get ruined. Now that I have more friends that take part, I think I'm finally going to get one. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sergei

Gone Home
www.jrcigars.com

Or you can call them: 800-jr-cigar

The best prices anywhere, because he is the biggest retailer (Lew Rothman). He has always taken care of the little guy. Especially during the cigar boom years, where gouging was popular. He didn't do that, so with that he get's my loyalty.

-S

Colt

Familiar Face
Originally posted by Sergei
Well what about this idea?

Rent a cabin. Poker, cigars, shooting, etc. While the DVD is continiously running in the background, playing.... you know what?

That sounds so sweet!!

As for online cigar buying goes JR's is excellent. Sergei have you tried Cigar bid! take a look www.cigarbid.com

Sergei

Gone Home
No I haven't heard of cigarbid.com. I just took a look. Both cigars I was interested in, were already at the price I typically pay at JR. Maybe, I just picked the wrong two. But I imagine the potential is there to get some good deals. Right?

-Sergei

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Having just enjoyed a Montecristo Platinum, I think this is the perfect thread! The best bet MK is just to subscribe, the subscription price is very reasonable and the publication is well well worth it. All I did to get the Coppola issue is to come home one day and find it on the counter, simple as that, lol. At Queen Mary this year I am looking forward to enjoying some all day everyday of the event. I am gonna stock up as much as I can before I come, which means a good size order from JR's Walt, lol.:cool2:

Sergei

Gone Home
Originally posted by Bogie1943
H....
At Queen Mary this year I am looking forward to enjoying some all day everyday of the event. I am gonna stock up as much as I can before I come, which means a good size order from JR's Walt, lol.:cool2:

Well let's have so much cigar smoke, that they will have to put us in the funnels! It's been a long time since the funnels have had any smoke come out of them. Let's see, 1967 was when she made her final berth at Long Beach, so that's 36 years. I'd say she is overdue. It would add some realism. :)

-S

QM%203.jpg

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I have certain rules by which I lead my life. While these rules may kill you....they sustain me...
Rule #1-- I never smoke when I am asleep....and never refrain when I am not.
I have no further restrictions.......
Regards,
Forrestal

(with apologies to Sam Clemens)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails