Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

straws... for the summer

Wil Tam

Practically Family
IMG_0804.jpg
IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg

Dobbs Milano .. Raffia Stingy .. Paja Toquilla Panama .. Scala Plantation

done shopping!
----------------
Now playing: Echo & the Bunnymen - Lips Like Sugar
via FoxyTunes

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
And, in that Plantation, a remake of that Un-cola 7-up commercial. Too cool for school that one is WT.

Nothing like a real brim for summer. I'm thinking of a plantation or gambler myself.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Nice straws

Wil Tam,

To me the Paja toquilla Panama has the best proportions from all the straws you own and fits you very well. The navy ribbon looks also cool. Enjoy.

Tom

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Wil Tam said:
needs some shaping ... maybe a little rakish attitude before I wear it out... right now it looks like a sombrero on me noggin [huh]

Ahhh, yes... rakish attitudes with hats to match have served us well so far, Will, - go for it!

Well, I guess rakish attitudes have served some folks well but not so much for the rider in this hat...

jeb-stuart-hat.jpg

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I concur

HungaryTom said:
Wil Tam,

To me the Paja toquilla Panama has the best proportions from all the straws you own and fits you very well. The navy ribbon looks also cool. Enjoy.

Tom

Thanks, I totally agree ... it is the best proportioned straw I own... plus it was the least expensive! it was loose on my head and I had to use the foam strips that arrived with my Fed IV D ... it's still a little loose, but it does fit better.

Now I know what to look for while shopping online as far as proportions go [it is much less expensive that way & I don't have to deal with pushy sales people :D ]

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Wil,

You see it is not that I am pushing always towards the most expensive - this panama hat is 'less fine' still it is a great hat since it will give you:
1. a cool look- a real bingo in terms of proportions
2. a cool head - the looser weave will ventillate
3. relaxed wear it since this hat won't bear the psychical burden of balancing a monthly salary on your head.

Best:

Tom

Wil Tam

Practically Family
yup, I think so

Panamabob said:
Looking good!

I see a real Panamanian (paja toquilla strips) and a real Ecuadorian (paja toquilla woven) among them, right?

IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0807.jpg
IMG_0810.jpg
IMG_0811.jpg

the Scala Panama Plantation is Paja Toquilla woven in Ecuador
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg
IMG_0816.jpg

No maker marks on the Paja Toquilla strips Panama heres the description though the great feature of both these hats is the exchangeable ribbon, so all I need to do is get a few in different colors to change the look of the hat ... the Dobbs Milano has one also ... the old raffia beater has a grosgrain which I'm not too fond of that I'm planning on replacing with one of these silk puggaree band, when I get them.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
HungaryTom said:
Wil,

You see it is not that I am pushing always towards the most expensive - this panama hat is 'less fine' still it is a great hat since it will give you:
1. a cool look- a real bingo in terms of proportions
2. a cool head - the looser weave will ventillate
3. relaxed wear it since this hat won't bear the psychical burden of balancing a monthly salary on your head.

Best:

Tom

I totally agree with that ... my lids doesn't have to be a MONTECRISTI Museum FEDORA Panama Dress Hat 7 1/8 for $1200 for me to love and wear it proudly, hell, I'm an avid DIYer just to save a few bucks, plus it's an interesting & fun hobby for me to refurbish a hat :D

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Thanks Fellas!

thanks for all the input & support, I can always count on you guys for an honest opinion! :eusa_clap

I think I can get away with just these 4 straws for the summer ... since I can obtain a few silk puggaree bands from Aaron to easily change the look ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy