Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching fairisle jumpers?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
It will loosen with wear... wear it a few days on top of layers or a jacket to stretch it a bit more than what your actual size would be. At least that's what I did with snug jumpers.
What material is it made from?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I agree with the other poster and I've stretched wool jumpers like that. For a quicker fix you can wash it in cool water, then dry it between towels and place it flat and gently pull it out and weight it like that to dry. It will dry in the shape it's been stretched to.

JMac

New in Town
Ok so I have this nice fairisle jumper that fits ok but is a little snug ...can I stretch it a little?

If it's pure wool, you will have to reshape when it is wet, grab it at the four corners, yes you'll need someone to hold it with you then wriggle it to the size you want before laying it to dry..

nihil

One of the Regulars
I go the opposite problem, I got a fairisle sweater that is one size too big. I've tried to wash it at 60 degrees Celsius, and tumble dried it at 80 degrees Celsius. But so far, Ive only managed about one size down (it started out two sizes too big, despite being labelled my size - medium). Any suggestions to get it to shrink some more?
It's 75% wool and 25% acrylic (yuk, but I didnt know that until after I had purchased it - and the price was good)

JMac

New in Town
then you need to wet it, get someone to grab the top at shoulder clenching the top part of the jumper and then you do the same for the bottom part you each take it in turn to pull or wriggle, you will notice a difference in length... You could also try steaming...

JMac

New in Town
if it's got acrylic in it then I would say you are stretching it more by putting in a hot wash, IMHO I don't think that acrylic shrinks, it get loser with washing..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles