Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching It By Far

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
In today's gas prices, I've thought of alternative ways to combat the high cost of fuel. First thought, maybe I'd just bike to work. Hey, it's only 20 miles one way. Twice would make it 40. No big deal, it'd just take me roughly 2 hrs. one way and it's good exercise. I could cancel my gym membership for that matter. ;)
Ahh, but it's the highway with cars and semi's travelling @ 75 mph or more!! Too dangerous even if I consider to do it on the shoulder :eek:

So another thought was to keep my car and just set the cruise @ 50 mph. No more than that! (Tach reading dramatically reduced to less than 2500 rpm as oppossed to 4000 rpm before). You'll notice immediately how many people you have annoyed as they pass you up! But hey, it works! I've been using a full tank on 2 weeks straight now without refilling (vs. one week before)!

Thought you all would benefit from this gas saving tip :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cruise control is great. NOTE: do NOT use cruise control in the rain or on wet roads. It is *extremely* dangerous!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Makes you stop and think about how it was handled in wartime -- the national speed limit was *35.* And it was strictly enforced -- you made your three gallons a week last, or else.
Me, then, I would've worked at the neighborhood library and walked there and not even kept a car at all. Now, I don't want to live and work in the same neighborhood even when I had the chance to switch branches, it's too unsafe.
If my husband or dad hadn't given me the use of a car, I'd take the bus everywhere.
Tires and roads are much better now, though, aren't they?

DerMann

Practically Family
I haven't driven a car in over two months!

Of course, it helps that I'm in college and my campus is less than ten blocks square and the town I live in is tiny...

Before I left for college, I drove a Geo Metro. Say what you like, I loved the thing.

When driving purely city (to school and back, to friends houses, stores, etc...) I got no less than 36MPG (with rather heavy use of acceleration and braking).

One thing that annoys me about car manufacturers is that they hardly make any vehicles with manual transmissions. A manual transmission is more fuel efficient than an automatic (nine times out of ten) and twice as fun to drive.

Another thing that the American people as a whole can't seem to understand is that horsepower is not a necessity for day to day driving. With my 54HP engine (probably a lot lower because of wear and age), I was able to get up to 45MPH from a stop in about 400 feet.

Lastly vehicle size and configuration is unnecessary and inefficient. SUVs have less usable space than most mini-vans and some full sized sedans. Station wagons have been, for the most part, dropped by most car manufacturers. While diesel engines are more common in the rest of the world , they still remain a rarity outside of large trucks in the US.

Just my thoughts.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
DerMann said:
While diesel engines are more common in the rest of the world , they still remain a rarity outside of large trucks in the US.

depends on where ya' live...out here in rural america maybe 8 out of 10 pickups are diesel, give or take...rarely see diesel mercedes anymore...i wish they would bring the vauxhalls and peugeots with the 1.5litre diesels over here so we can get 50mpg or more...

DerMann

Practically Family
SamMarlowPI said:
depends on where ya' live...out here in rural america maybe 8 out of 10 pickups are diesel, give or take...rarely see diesel mercedes anymore...i wish they would bring the vauxhalls and peugeots with the 1.5litre diesels over here so we can get 50mpg or more...

What I mean by big are the larger Dodges, Fords and Chevys. As you said, the smaller European compacts would be nice, as they're fairly cheap and reliable, and yet they have the power and efficiency of a diesel engine.

Gilbey said:
Ahh, but it's the highway with cars and semi's travelling @ 75 mph or more!! Too dangerous even if I consider to do it on the shoulder :eek:

I'd be stunned if there are no minor roads that will do the job of the highway without the danger. I remember in Indiana there were always smaller "rural" roads that ran essentially parallel to the highways for a good number of miles. farmers need to get to their fields! Highways are not the only option …

Good advice fro other members about downsizing the car.

bk

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
DerMann said:
Another thing that the American people as a whole can't seem to understand is that horsepower is not a necessity for day to day driving. With my 54HP engine (probably a lot lower because of wear and age), I was able to get up to 45MPH from a stop in about 400 feet.

Lastly vehicle size and configuration is unnecessary and inefficient. SUVs have less usable space than most mini-vans and some full sized sedans. Station wagons have been, for the most part, dropped by most car manufacturers. While diesel engines are more common in the rest of the world , they still remain a rarity outside of large trucks in the US.

Just my thoughts.

Horsepower needs vary with the individual and terrain. It can come in handy where there's mountains and the speed limit on the nearby plains is 75.

I agree that a family sized sedan is probably more practical than an SUV for a couple and their 2.1 kids, though. The sedan has a smoother ride (being built on a car suspension, not a pickup suspension), gets better mileage, has less space to heat and cool, is less likely to tip over, is easier to get in and out of, and you can store your valuables in the trunk. Unless you have a lot of stuff to haul around regularly, I don't see the point of a station wagon. And I never did get the SUV craze...one of many things of our time I don't get.

Another thing I don't get is why so many people choose to live 20 or 30 miles from work. I know you can't always get a job close to home, and that you can't necessarily afford a house or apartment near your job. But a lot of professionals choose to live an hour's drive from work.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Gilbey said:
In today's gas prices, I've thought of alternative ways to combat the high cost of fuel. First thought, maybe I'd just bike to work. Hey, it's only 20 miles one way. Twice would make it 40. No big deal, it'd just take me roughly 2 hrs. one way and it's good exercise. I could cancel my gym membership for that matter. ;)

So another thought was to keep my car and just set the cruise @ 50 mph. No more than that! (Tach reading dramatically reduced to less than 2500 rpm as oppossed to 4000 rpm before). You'll notice immediately how many people you have annoyed as they pass you up! But hey, it works! I've been using a full tank on 2 weeks straight now without refilling (vs. one week before)!

Thought you all would benefit from this gas saving tip :)

A few more tips:

• Keep your tires fully inflated.
  • Make sure your air filter is clean.
  • Get your car serviced regularly (spark plugs, filters, oil changes, etc.).
  • Don't use your car as a mini-storage unit. It takes more fuel to haul that weight around.
  • Start early so you don't have to speed.
  • Don't drive like a jack rabbit and don't weave through traffic. Speed up and slow down gently, and try to maintain an even speed. Slowing down and speeding up take more fuel.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
DerMann said:
What I mean by big are the larger Dodges, Fords and Chevys. As you said, the smaller European compacts would be nice, as they're fairly cheap and reliable, and yet they have the power and efficiency of a diesel engine.

my mistake...:)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Timeless

ww1645-54-725613.jpg

DerMann

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Horsepower needs vary with the individual and terrain. It can come in handy where there's mountains and the speed limit on the nearby plains is 75.

I agree that a family sized sedan is probably more practical than an SUV for a couple and their 2.1 kids, though. The sedan has a smoother ride (being built on a car suspension, not a pickup suspension), gets better mileage, has less space to heat and cool, is less likely to tip over, is easier to get in and out of, and you can store your valuables in the trunk. Unless you have a lot of stuff to haul around regularly, I don't see the point of a station wagon. And I never did get the SUV craze...one of many things of our time I don't get.

Another thing I don't get is why so many people choose to live 20 or 30 miles from work. I know you can't always get a job close to home, and that you can't necessarily afford a house or apartment near your job. But a lot of professionals choose to live an hour's drive from work.

Fair enough, but I'm willing to assert that most Americans will never need an engine over 150 HP for regular commuting and daily activities. Even the good ol' Willys Jeep had only a slightly larger engine than my puny Geo Metro (60HP) and that little blighter could almost climb walls. What I'm trying to get at is that cars are heavier than they ought to be. With modern alloys and synthetics, there is no reason why a 75-100HP engine should not be more than adequate to power a standard sedan or light truck.

Station wagons are the perfect family vehicle. Smaller than a minivan, but can still hold more than a standard SUV. From 1994-1997, my family lived in Guam, and we had a white station wagon, and I bally loved the thing. The front and back seat were fairly standard (two bucket seats, and a bench type seat in the back), but the trunk is what made it a joy (at least a child). There was at space at least 4 feet long and 3 feet wide which was flat, which was ideal for napping. OR there were two seats that would fold in to the floor with seat belts and everything.

Oh the memories...

The suburbs relegated the large cities to the ultra wealthy and ultra poor. The middle class moved out to the affordable and splendid suburbs, and cars became a necessity. When men drove in lieu of walking, the hat lost its necessity.

SamMarlowPI said:
my mistake...:)

Oh not at all, I was being vague, old sport.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
SamMarlowPI said:

• like someone said above, learn to drive a stick...they're cheaper and get better gas mileage...

I'd have to agree with this as well. Both vehicles I've had so far have been stick shifts. I enjoy having better control over the vehicle, and it is a lot more fun. I'm disappointed to hear that stick shifts are really dying out, and that it's getting harder to find vehicles that are made with stick shifts. Still, I guess it only makes sense that a company wouldn't spend the money to tool their factories to make a transmission so little of the population buys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner