Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strike-anywhere matches

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I looked around here and there on the 'net, but still wasn't sure about some points. Maybe those of you who know can enlighten me:

- Are there differences between "strike-really-anywhere" and "strike-on-any-rough-surfice" matches?

- How do you keep them, so they don't torch you trousers, jacket, wallet…? Metal match boxes look like they can get quite hot, but maybe the matches don't ignite there in the first place?

- Do they impart a bad taste to tobacco? That's rather for pipes and cigars, where you taste it if you used a petrol lighter ("white gas").

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Matches...

Good luck finding true "Strike Anywhere" matches, they are used in Meth so retailers have been asked to curb their sales.
They can be found just not as readable as they use to be.

The strike on surface type separate out the chemical so they are easier to find but you must use the enclosed striker.

Like Nick said keep them in a Match Safe and if there is too much room pack with cotton...you don’t want the matches to move freely in the Safe.

My Uncle hand rolled his own cigarettes for years and swore by a match...hated the smell of Butane. The trick is to let it burn the initial flare effect then use the remaining flame.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
just let it burn about 2 seconds and then light.
raiderrescuer said:
The trick is to let it burn the initial flare effect then use the remaining flame.

Thanks, that's what I'm doing with safety matches, too.

I think I'll just go and ask in outdoor equipment store when I come by one, and try them.

JDCrockett

New in Town
Try Sears Hardware

I found Ohio Blue Diamond strike anywhere matches in my local Sears
Hardware store here in New Jersey of all places (we're not even allowed to
buy sparklers in this state!). If all the stores haven't closed due to the merger with K-mart they still may have them,
usually with the barbecue supplies. I bought several neat match safes off of Ebay for reasonable
prices, just beware of sizes, all won't fit the kitchen sized matches commonly found.
I did buy a 10 pack of the small strike-anywheres several years ago
but I don't think they are as common.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
BellyTank said:
I can get them here in Copenhagen.
These ones are strike absolutely anywhere- yer shoe, a glass, the wall...

An esential filler for the silver Vesta case.

B
T

Right you are. And the chance of one striking up in your pocket accidentally is slim enough to be of no concern. They need considerable friction to ignite. I keep an old match holder full of them by the fireplace. Put them in a fancy match safe in your pocket and strike with drama.

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Vesta Case

I think that one classy option is to hang a vesta case off a pocketwatch chain. They're all over eBay and pretty cheap, methinks, owing to their relative lack of modern utility.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
They seem to be available locally where I live.

You can keep them in a vintage style bistro table striker.
striker.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Right you are. And the chance of one striking up in your pocket accidentally is slim enough to be of no concern. They need considerable friction to ignite. I keep an old match holder full of them by the fireplace. Put them in a fancy match safe in your pocket and strike with drama.

We used to just hold them in one hand and flick the tip with our thumb nails to light them. Very dramatic! lol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Or on the leg seam of your jeans.

Of course Major Nick, you remember the stooges striking up a blaze on some unsuspecting guy's razor stubble!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
my experiences

I have never been able to light matches on dungarees or stubble but I have succeeded in using my thumbnail. One time I even had a flaming bit go under my nail. Sensuous!:confused:

Sincerely,
The Wolf

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Not strike anywhere, but these are the same style of matches used in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade to light the oil in the catacombs. Evidently these are waterproof!

CL-M400-windproof.c.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
The Wingnut said:
Not strike anywhere, but these are the same style of matches used in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade to light the oil in the catacombs. Evidently these are waterproof!

I'm not vat Bripish. I take my pipe out of my mouf when I'm under ve fower.
pipe-smilie-2.gif

matei

One Too Many
I'd like to find some but here in London I've not thus far been successful.

I use matches everyday, to light our gas cooker. The zippo works a treat for the hob, but it won't work when it comes to lighting the oven!

Speedster

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
I can get them here in Copenhagen.
These ones are strike absolutely anywhere- yer shoe, a glass, the wall...

An esential filler for the silver Vesta case.

B
T

Please enlighten me BellyTank. Where in Copenhagen can you get them? I've never been able to find them.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I gather, at www.ebay.dk, as soon as they've set it up. Then you'll get it under "foreign sellers".

But seriously, BT, are you talking about an older one from an antiques store (or from grampa), or are there new ones worth mentioning?

Speedster

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I gather, at www.ebay.dk, as soon as they've set it up. Then you'll get it under "foreign sellers".

But seriously, BT, are you talking about an older one from an antiques store (or from grampa), or are there new ones worth mentioning?

lol I guess i will have to wait for a while before they get that up and running. It would be easier to order it directly from the foreign seller here: http://www.riverjunction.com/

They have strike anywhere matches both in a big box of 250 matches and in small boxes of 32 matches for the vest pocket as well as match safes and match strikers: http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/saloon/matches.html

Or from these: http://store.everestgear.com/eqdia101.html

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran