Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff in your PURSE

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
A companion thread to stuff in your pockets for men.

Here's a few images from Glamour of Hollywood magazine from July 1939 on pages 22 and 23 to start us off. According to them, even the stars share their personality by what's in their purses. What's in yours? For the evening? For the day?
glamour02.jpg

glamour01.jpg

decodoll

Practically Family
Well...my day to day purse has so much junk in it, it's embarassing! When I go out and have one of my tiny evening purses, it's vintage compact (modern ones won't fit!), money, keys, lipstick (this is where the tiny Besame ones really come in handy!) and driver's license.

The other night standing in line at a club, the woman in front of us was trying to convince her date that her little evening purse would look so much better if he would just carry her (modern sized) lipstick for her! :)

Mimi Thomas

New in Town
My daily purse, which I refer to as a "pocketbook," has the following:
*compact
*lipstick
*handkerchief
*calling cards
*fountain pen
*keys
*driver's license/debit card/not much cash

My evening bag will have the same, generally, but in smaller sizes and with a fancier hanky.

I do carry a cellphone, as I am frequently alone and with the children, my husband thinks it's an essential item. I am not the woman who is driving while talking, talking from the market, or otherwise making a nuisance of the cellphone.

However, I am the woman who is applying lipstick at a redlight, and often missing the green left turn arrow...

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
My handbag has the following:

Card case with driver's license, credit cards, photos....
Lipstick
Gloves
Sunglasses
Keys
Cell phone
Coin purse

When I carry an evening bag, just cards, lipstick and compact.

Lizzie

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
The vintage lady's must haves.

Hey Ladies!

I was going through the other night trying to organise my handbag for my sister's birthday outing tonight, and trying to decide what all I'd need for my pretty wrap shirt and pencil skirt ensemble, which got me wonderin' what do you lovely ladies keep on regular rotation, for special occasion or other.

I know that red lipstick is a must for reapps later in the day, and I'm starting to learn to keep my nail polish close at hand too, but what else?

Please do tell what's in your daily arsenal that helps keep you fabulous, and why?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm still hunting for the perfect compact to keep my Coty powder in, so unfortunately, until then, I can't keep that in my bag.

I always, however, keep 2 varities of red lipstick, some mini-makeup compacts (mostly for the mirrors -- I hardly every wear eye makeup), and sometimes blush and mascara, just in case.

Oh, and of course, bobby pins! Thousands and thousands of bobby pins! You never know when your hairdo will start to fall apart, or when you need to switch it up entirely. Those come in handy often with me.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
pretty much the necessary red lipstick, a lil powder for touch ups, black eyeliner (when I wear it on the bottom it doesnt smudge so much as just disappear lol), of course tons of bobby pins, and if the purse permits I usually throw in a little travelsize bottle of hairspray you find at the pharmacy. you never know when you need to tame some flyaways.

Naama

Practically Family
I only take my lipstick with me..... I would like to have my powder with me, but most of the time I forgett to take it with me :/

Naama

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I have a small case that I can put a tube of lipstick in that also has a built in mirror. Quite handy to have. I also carry some mints with me. Sunglasses. Handkerchief (usually one of my grandmothers with lace crocheted around it). Notebook and pen. Coinpurse (it has cowgirl pinups on it!). Metal business card case with i.d., bank card, etc in it.

If my purse is larger, I carry a bit more. Those are the bare minimum for me.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
oooohh mints is a good idea! I ususally run out of gum mid week, and its not the best for your jaw musculature I hear.
Currently I have four different reds plus a balm, in my purse, and when I start wearing seams regularly, clear polish is getting added and an extra pairlol

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
for vintage dressing and purse size use is

http://www.chowards.com/

The Lemon are very very nice.

I would however advise that the Scented Gum is an aquired taste....

These all have great packaging that really keeps your purse interior in the 1930's or so.....much nicer then tic tacs or whatever...

What is the gum scented with? I am thinking of getting the violet "mints" - fun!

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
for vintage dressing and purse size use is

http://www.chowards.com/

The Lemon are very very nice.

I would however advise that the Scented Gum is an aquired taste....

These all have great packaging that really keeps your purse interior in the 1930's or so.....much nicer then tic tacs or whatever...

Thank you so much for the tip...anything to add to the vintage feel is really good!

Shellie

marquise

Familiar Face
I love CHowards' lemon & violet mints, and have certainly acquired the taste for the gum. Just so wonderful to see a product keep its original packaging.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a little case that I can just move from bag to bag, filled with necessities. I always have a tube of red lipstick or pink, depending on the palette of the night. Face powder in a compact with a mirror. Gum. A cartier mini diablo fountain pen, it's so small and pretty, perfect for even tiny bags. Bobby pins, a folding comb, tiny bottle of eye drops for dry contacts, a small bottle of anti-bacterial hand sanitizer, black or brown eye liner, Bath and Body Works lip gloss in mango.
This all really depends on the size of the bag, I'll bring more or less accordingly. When traveling in Europe last month I knew I'd be out for many hours at a time. It sort of became a funny joke because any time Hem or I needed something I would just reach into the messenger bag I was carrying and take it out. He couldn't believe how much stuff I had with me, but I just wanted to make sure we had everything we needed. Lucky for him, we certainly did.

Folly

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
Oh, and of course, bobby pins! Thousands and thousands of bobby pins! You never know when your hairdo will start to fall apart, or when you need to switch it up entirely. Those come in handy often with me.

I don't think there's a bag I own or a room in my house that hasn't at least one bobby pin in it!

I always take a bottle of clear nail polish with me to stop a run in stockings, red lipstick and face powder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot