Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions on a source for barkcloth

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Not really clothing / 'acoutrements' related, but I couldn't think of another place to put it...

Anyone have a source for not necessarily vintage barkcloth but accurate or very close reproduction prints? I really want to put up some curtains in the new apartment...miniblinds are cold and institutional looking.

Thanks in advance!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Great links! Thanks, both of you...

Now, a question or two: Seeing what was written on the top of the first site posted is barkcloth more of a '50s pattern, or would it be something seen in the '30s as well?

I really like this pattern:

White iris and palm fronds on burgundy

Obviously, barkcloth is more of a casual / 'recreational' pattern. I'd like a print or pattened fabric that would go along with streamline / deco / waterfall furniture and my classic red & white kitchen that I'm trying to put together. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm open. Keep in mind the kitchen is right next to the living area and there's no divider. I've got a red / white checked table cloth and numerous red knicknacks / appliances / hardware, and the living area will have my floor model Airline radio, hopefully a highbacked chair or deco armchair of some sort, and a coordinating couch if I ever find one. Stainless steel tochieres and a tinclad green & black steamer trunk are in the mix, as well.

Suggest away! Help me decorate...

SGB

One of the Regulars
The Wingnut said:
Great links! Thanks, both of you...

Now, a question or two: Seeing what was written on the top of the first site posted is barkcloth more of a '50s pattern, or would it be something seen in the '30s as well?

I really like this pattern:

White iris and palm fronds on burgundy

Obviously, barkcloth is more of a casual / 'recreational' pattern. I'd like a print or pattened fabric that would go along with streamline / deco / waterfall furniture and my classic red & white kitchen that I'm trying to put together. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm open. Keep in mind the kitchen is right next to the living area and there's no divider. I've got a red / white checked table cloth and numerous red knicknacks / appliances / hardware, and the living area will have my floor model Airline radio, hopefully a highbacked chair or deco armchair of some sort, and a coordinating couch if I ever find one. Stainless steel tochieres and a tinclad green & black steamer trunk are in the mix, as well.

Suggest away! Help me decorate...

How's my Airline radio working?

SGB

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Marvelously!

Okay, gratuitous post...

day_1.jpg

Got her up and running late last year to the tune of $50. Need to pull her out of storage and find a cheap AM rebroadcaster so I can listen to all of my CDs through her.

That cateye really works! Kinda ghostly...

decodoll

Practically Family
I generally think of Barkcloth as being popular starting about the mid-1940's (after the war, when GI's wanted to bring a bit of the exotic lands they'd seen home with them) through the 1950's.

Great lookin' radio, Wingnut!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Hrm. Well, considering I'm looking for a definite prewar look to go along with the radio and other pieces I've got, anyone have suggestions for drape material that would be typically '30s? I'll keep the barkcloth as an option...

Caledonia

Practically Family
What is barkcloth?

Hi. Just got a 40s barkcloth tie, and I don't know what it means. Pattern? Fabric? Or the maker? And is it a reasonable find? Haven't received it yet so can't post a picture till sometime next week, if anybody's interested.

Thanks in anticipation. :)

decodoll

Practically Family
Caledonia said:
Hi. Just got a 40s barkcloth tie, and I don't know what it means. Pattern? Fabric? Or the maker? And is it a reasonable find? Haven't received it yet so can't post a picture till sometime next week, if anybody's interested.

Thanks in anticipation. :)

Barkcloth is the weave of fabric. It has a slightly nubbley texture and is most commonly used in upholstery.

Wingnut, I think a cut velvet upholstery fabric in a geometric pattern would be great for an Art Deco look.

DF100%20in%20Brick%20Velvet%20F14368%20Fantasio.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Oooo. I like the velvet! Any idea where I can find that?

..I found some killer heavy brocade premade curtains last night at - of all places - Burlington Coat Factory. They're inexpensive and look the part, but they might be overkill as they're floor length. Contemplating cutting and hemming them at the halfway point and using the scrap for another window, but that might look even more out of place.

(edit)...OOOF! Never mind, I followed that image back to its source. $210 per yard!? Are they out of their minds? Wow.

decodoll

Practically Family
Um...yeah....that's why I didn't bother to post a link, but I'm sure you can find something similar for much less. The Fabric Outlet here on Mission Street has something similar but with art deco style faces on it in a few colours, and I'm sure it's no where near $210 a yard. :) You're not back in the Bay Area now though, I would assume? You missed Joe yesterday at the pre-Gatsby Fashion Fair modeling a suit coat in just his boxers and sock garters. :rolleyes: I think he may have had a bit too much champagne! lol

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'm back. Getting re-settled in my new apartment and pulling everything out of storage. I probably won't be officially back 'in the loop' for a while. Drill weekends, debt to pay off, car to fix, another car to transfer / insure(maybe), moving in, organizing, etc. Lots to do.

Joe, snockered? Never! I'm sure he bore it with dignity.

decodoll

Practically Family
That's good to hear. :) In that case, there's a big upholstery fabric shop on Potrero that you might want to check out as well...Sal Berresi, I believe is the name. Do you think you'll be making it to Gatsby?

Well...apparently, Laurie asked him to just try on the suit jacket....so he did. lol

The Wingnut

One Too Many
No Gatsby this year, unfortunately. I'll be playing with KC-135s in Marysville. Duty calls.

Definitely have to get into S.F. soon...maybe the Clothing Expo next month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran