Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit advice

Taggert

Familiar Face
Hey all,
I will be soon in the market for a new suit, and i was hoping for some advice form the fine gents on here.
I will be going to the mens wearhouse only because I need a suit somewhat fast and within a smaller budget.

Im short, 5'6" about 205 lbs, have a pretty wide chest (over 46") and a fairly large neck (17.5" +) so i need advice on what type of suit to shoot for. I know I want Grey or Blue pin stripe perhaps even brown,as black is really for funerals. My question what would look right on a shorter wider guy without looking odd. I don't want to commit any suit no no's so please lemme know of things to avoid.

If anyone has any other suggestions perhaps even vintage suggestions (I really like suspenders and a high waist pant would help hide my extra pounds till I lose them..lol). If new is my only option for now what would look closest to vintage without breaking the bank, and look good with a fedora or porkpie =)

Thanks all, if you need any more info please feel free to ask I will answer with the best of my knowledge. I also can get exact measurements if needed.

Taggert

P.S. i included a pic to give ya idea of how I'm built:
davedress1-1.jpg

DerMann

Practically Family
You're in the right direction with pin stripes, as they emphasise your height, thus drawing attention away from your width (I'm a big guy too).

I wouldn't throw the idea of black pin stripe out because black is for funerals. Black is always a good standard colour, especially for business dress. Second to black, I would suggest a good navy or olive pin stripped suit. However, stay away from brown, unless you intend on wearing it in the countryside (general faux pas that most people ignore, one does not wear brown around town).

One thing to look for is a double breasted jacket, as it helps to create a more vertical figure, so as to hide any extra baggage. Same colours apply.

When you get the pants hemmed, make sure to wear them as high up on your waist as possible when you are getting measured.

As for a hat, I believe porkpies, along with bowlers, do not help pudgy people out a lot. Stick with a fedora with as high a crown as you can get, perhaps even a trilby (essentially a British fedora, usually has a very small brim - similar to the one in your picture).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR