Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit pants fit for larger guys?

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
My dad is getting married in November and he asked me to help him shop for a suit. Now, I have plenty of experience in ogling at suits for myself and what kind of sizing to look for to get the fit that I like (close to the body and form fitting) for my slimmer frame. My dad, however, is larger than myself. His belly doesn't bulge out or anything like that, but his torso is certainly bulkier.

What is they best way to fit the pants, is my main question? Should they sit below the belly roll and have the shirt follow the curve? Or should the waist of the pants rise over the belly to create a smoother transition between the legs and torso?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My dad is getting married in November and he asked me to help him shop for a suit. Now, I have plenty of experience in ogling at suits for myself and what kind of sizing to look for to get the fit that I like (close to the body and form fitting) for my slimmer frame. My dad, however, is larger than myself. His belly doesn't bulge out or anything like that, but his torso is certainly bulkier.

What is they best way to fit the pants, is my main question? Should they sit below the belly roll and have the shirt follow the curve? Or should the waist of the pants rise over the belly to create a smoother transition between the legs and torso?
Just my opinion, just get him what he would normally wear size wise and let it fit him "naturally". I am sure when he is wearing the suit and all, it will all come together for him and he will look sharp as a razor!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab

No trousers should sit below the belly. It's much more flattering for the trousers to sit at the natural waist, and that applies to all men no matter their shape.

budrichard

Familiar Face
The normal 'drop' for a suit is 6" but as one ages the belly becomes more prominent and the normal fit over the belly is not comfortable and suspenders become the answer. Suspenders require an increase in both girth and length that a normal suit drop may not accord.
In that case a custom suit becomes the answer.-Dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy