Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitcase usage?

Geesie

Practically Family
I've been using this old Towncraft (JC Penny store brand) suitcase for a while, used to be my father's. I'm not terribly concerned with how "vintage" it is or anything - it's a nice tan hard-sided suitcase and that's what matters to me.

What I'd like to know is what the things inside were meant for:
4134392500_4c1f88063c_o.jpg

The bottom compartment has the strap with snaps, the top compartment is separated by that panel with snaps. On the panel is a thin pocket and that brass band with an elastic band below it. How were these things on the case meant to be used?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
It's meant for clothes. :p :eusa_doh:

Just kiddin', the straps from what I have learned would hold in place shirts or maybe pants, the pockets could hold socks or small accessories i.e. tie bars, collar bars, cuff links... ya know. The brass bar with the elastic strap is for ties.

I'm not sure of what exactly those little pockets and everything were originally designed for, but use your imagination and these cases seemed to keep things much more organized. As to vintage of the case I'd say 40s or 50s.

Enjoy it!

storman113

Familiar Face
You just answered a question I had. I picked up a Hartmann 26" case last week. It has the bar across the top and a snap strap below. I couldn't figure out what it was designed for, ties crossed my mind, but not for long!

I'll get some pic's of it this week and post up.

storman113

Familiar Face
Here's some pic's of the Hartmann I picked up. I plan to use it in a couple weeks for a business trip where I will have to have some ties along. Now that I know how to pack em, they should be in better shape than stuffed in a shoe!

Case_ext1.jpg

Case_int_1.jpg

Case_int_2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Ah, for the days when I could have travelled with a case like that.... alas, with not being likely ever to be able to afford to fly first class, and the way baggage handlers treat suitcases nowadays.... :rolleyes:

Beautiful cases.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edward said:
and the way baggage handlers treat suitcases nowadays.... :rolleyes:
Really, you Do Not want to check anything better than ballistic nylon. I've learned. :(

storman113

Familiar Face
You can't lock suitcases anymore in the US for air travel. And the way baggage gets tossed around I would be afraid that the hard case would pop open. I don't want to get a nylon strap that would look cheesy with the leather case, but a leather strap. Have been unable to find one long enough, 58" plus, does anyone have any ideas where I could find one?

Foofoogal

Banned
I cannot find the other suitcase thread.

I found a ( about fainted) full set of white Samsonite suitcases today and they are in near excellent condition. Then with them a red Suitcase with beautiful inside as well.

Yeah me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot