Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits with lighter trousers

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Undertow said:
Guttersnipe, just wondering if you could expand on those trousers: are they repros, actual period articles, etc? And approx. what year are they from?

They are museum quality reproductions made by one of the most respected firms in the game. Anything they manufacture is backed-up by ample amounts of research; the amount of knowledge some folks have about period tailoring and the like is truly impressive. They almost always use yardage loomed 19th century machines recreates patters/colors on surviving artifacts (there is actually a cottage industry of companies that specialize manufacturing yardage using vegetable or other period dye processes, as well as using period looming techniques). The plaid trouser are patterned in the style of the 1840's, the bib front still being common then. The green pair with the fly front are more in the style of the mid 1850's or early 1860's.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I guess there is a semantic issue here. If it is not matching, is it a suit, or separates. The early costume show that men often wore mismatched. I doubt they went to the tailor for a new suit of mismatched clothes. Rather, they bought trousers and jackets and wore together. the whole concept of the suit was made out of matching fabrics. then, in the twenties or so, men started wearing mismatched suit jacket and pants as a way to make their suit look more casual and sporty. this is why it is called sportcoat. But they generally did not do it with patterns. They wore simple cream, gray, or tan slacks with generally blue, but also gray, white and tan jackets.

This is why the classic look of gray or tan or white slacks with a blue blazer or double breasted suit jacket is a classic, such as in nautical wear.

then there is the other sportcoat look of the tweed jacket over slacks.

So, is it a suit, or just separates?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeps said:
Are you talking about stuff like this?

1920_morning_suit_b.jpg

hrapril1936champagneshijo5.jpg
I think this is called the morning dress. It has to be worn this way. It's not like odd seperates, it's formal day wear.

Look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_dress
or search the lounge for more information. There are rules and all that stuff. I never cared for it because I don't need to dress up in the morning and have no use for it. I don't want to marr

Okay I searched for you:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48344
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12353
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12284

and here you can see how our member boushi mania put all this together to a perfect ensemble...the whole story from the start. I think it's amazing:eusa_clap
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=46980

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
reetpleat said:
I guess there is a semantic issue here. If it is not matching, is it a suit, or separates. The early costume show that men often wore mismatched. I doubt they went to the tailor for a new suit of mismatched clothes. Rather, they bought trousers and jackets and wore together. the whole concept of the suit was made out of matching fabrics. then, in the twenties or so, men started wearing mismatched suit jacket and pants as a way to make their suit look more casual and sporty. this is why it is called sportcoat. But they generally did not do it with patterns. They wore simple cream, gray, or tan slacks with generally blue, but also gray, white and tan jackets.

This is why the classic look of gray or tan or white slacks with a blue blazer or double breasted suit jacket is a classic, such as in nautical wear.

then there is the other sportcoat look of the tweed jacket over slacks.

So, is it a suit, or just separates?
Okay. Good questions here. I also wanted to ak about pattern/no pattern of the pants in such a sport combination.

Mind if we occupy this thread for the question or should we make a new one? I would post some pictures of "odd jacket" combinations...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Flat Foot Floey said:
Mind if we occupate this thread for the question or should we make a new one? I would post some pictures of "odd jacket" combinations...
I vote to start a new thread. :)

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Without pics here is what I had in mind...

I thought a good look would be a black jacket and a pair of charcaol grey trouser with a very light window pane combination. It would look similar to a modernized morning dress but also qualify as a odd jacket/trouser combo.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Flat Foot Floey said:
I think this is called the morning dress. It has to be worn this way. It's not like odd seperates, it's formal day wear.

If I am not mistaken, that picture demonstrated the morning suit and the stroller very well.

The valet is wearing a morning suit, while the gentleman is sporting the stroller.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
That's it then...

Yeps said:
If I am not mistaken, that picture demonstrated the morning suit and the stroller very well.

The valet is wearing a morning suit, while the gentleman is sporting the stroller.

I just went back to look at the trousers and jacket. Together they look just like the gentleman wearing the Stroller. So, I guess I've found the answer to my question. Thank you for all you're help gentlemen.

This all being said, Do ya'll think it would be an acceptable look today without looking like a costume.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think it could work really well. You just ha ve to wear it with confidence and find a nice, sharp jacket, and some gray slacks, and you are in business. A waiscoat really helps too.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
That was my thought...

I have I DARK grey vest and I was thinkingit would work well with the combo.
Thanks again.
Jerry

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Flat Foot Floey said:
A black or grey homburg maybe?

I second that. The right fedora might not look bad either. Definitely something with wide ribbon and a bound edge, and most definitely city not country.

Although, it could easily slip into a more western look with a wider brimmed hat.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
I guess there is a semantic issue here . . . is it a suit, or just separates?

You are absolutely right about there being a semantic issue. In the 19th century they used the term suit, as in "a suit of clothes," (e.g. a collection of items that makes one's outfit, similar to the term "a soldiers kit"), later the term suit took on the meaning as we understand it today.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Guttersnipe said:
You are absolutely right about there being a semantic issue. In the 19th century they used the term suit, as in "a suit of clothes," (e.g. a collection of items that makes one's outfit, similar to the term "a soldiers kit"), later the term suit took on the meaning as we understand it today.

Is that anything like a suite of rooms:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112