Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunbody Hats wants to know...

coble

A-List Customer
Good day,

Here at Sunbody Hats we have been working on getting some new styles out for the new year. We want to know if you all would be interested in a palm fedora, homburg, derby, and even western hat in black. I have been in discussion with the owner and we have been working hard on bringing a black palm sunbody hat to you all, thats right you heard it correct we have found a way to make our palm hats black. So please let me know if you are interested, we would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Sunbody Hats

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think I personally would go for black straw fedora. I had a dark grey panama that I sold on because I couldn't make it fit with my other clothing.

To me straw hats are summer hats and black isn't the best summer color as it attracts the sun. It's also a bit formal to fit with most summer clothing.

The derby might be interesting just because derbies are so hard to find that, if done well, it could be used outside of summer.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Jacob,
I had a stingy black Panama straw derby by Bailey that I sold a long time ago. It kept cool enough, but I just didn't see it getting that much head time. I've seen photos of some Milan derbies that have interested me, but I preferred the brown to black. I agree with Alan-- a prototype would be good to view.

I found an old pic of the Bailey:

baileystrawderby.jpg

Come to think of it, that black hoodie disappeared too.

Last edited:
I'd probably find use for black palm hat, but I'm with Ed in questioning just how much of a market there is for such a thing outside of the Western hat world. If I'd offer any advice (which is worth about as much as it costs), it would be to avoid a glossy black finish (as is often seen on black straw Western hats) on a "dress" hat.

But just watch -- they'll make a glossy black homburg and it'll sell like ice cream on the Fourth of July. And I'll have to send my crystal ball back in for repairs.

Edward

Bartender
I'd like a black one for the variation.... Long time ago I spent my first proper hat wearing Summer with just one panama for a brimmed hat and I was sick of the sight of it by the end of that season. lol

What would especially appeal to me would be a black straw homberg style for Summer season black tie wear. I'd like t see prototypes.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I have no crystal ball, but I have a couple of points: 1. Straw hats are GENERALLY for summer when it's HOT; 2. Black absorbs heat; leading us to the conclusion that black straw hats would only be worn at night at best.

How about expanding the oak colored range?

Just my $0.02 and worth every penny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails