Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superman's House in Cleveland

Rufus

Practically Family
I hope this is the right section, so please forgive me if I've put it in the wrong place...

This pertains to the origins of Superman, the first superhero, and of course, star of countless movies...

In 1938 two Cleveland teenagers created the very first superhero, Superman. Today the home in which Jerry Siegel dreamed of leaping over buildings in a single bound has fallen into disrepair. Writer Brad Meltzer (Identity Crisis) became aware of this dilemma while researching his latest novel, The Book of Lies, and decided to start a campaign to save the birthplace of the Man of Steel. In this video you can watch Meltzer's appeal for help as well seeing the deplorable condition of the Siegel House. Several comic creators have donated items that will be available on eBay in the coming weeks, including CAF members Frank Cho, Dave Johnson, David Mandel, Michael Bair, and Ernie Chan, whose contribution is up for auction right now.

This building should be preserved as a national landmark and certainly no home should be allowed to remain in such a dilapidated state. The city of Cleveland has not seen fit to even affix a plaque denoting the historic value of the site, so it falls onto those of us who recognize the significance it bears in American culture to step forward. Please check out their website and give what you can.

http://www.ordinarypeoplechangetheworld.com/

It'd be a terrible shame to see another piece of history lost to indifference..
The house represents what 2 kids can do, when you use your imagination.

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
What a terrible shame! Superman is such an American icon! It's such a disgrace to see things like this happen. I'd definitely consider this a good cause. Oh, but god forbid the house where Google got it's start falls into disrepair. Talk about a National crisis.

Rufus

Practically Family
Thanks Madeleine,

I thought it bizarre the house Google was started in is considered important enough to save.. but not the Siegel's old homestead..

Money talks...

It's be nice to see DC/Warners Bros reach into their deep coffers and make this a museum for kids... An Imaginarium of some sort..

I'm sure it'd be a big attraction for the city..

Great avatar photo by the way!

:) r

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's a good thing he's bulletproof

Glenville is a really, really dangerous neighborhood. It's in an old area of Cleveland that is an odd mix of new and rich and old and poor. Case Western Reserve University (just below ivy league), the Cleveland Clinic (world class in every respect), the Cleveland Art Museum (easily in the top 10 in the country), Severance Hall (home to the world renown Cleveland Orchestra), and numerous other museums and cultural institutions are within a mile or two of Glenville. Of course, the Glenville and Hough (do the Hough Riots ring a bell?) neighborhoods have been some of the most dangerous and crime ridden places in Ohio for decades. This isn't like the Christmas Story House in Tremont, where the neighborhood wasn't/isn't that great, but has had a long history of people trying to improve the area.

Good luck to anyone who wants to preserve and even attract tourists to Glenville, because, absent a fire that burns down every other building within a mile, I'm not going there.

If you don't believe me, type the words Glenville, Cleveland, and dangerous into Google and see what you get.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
I lived in Cleveland for a while. My parents still live there. I was back there recently for a visit. The University Circle is about the only area in town that is moving forward, most of the rest of the city is falling into a sad and angry state.
Thanks, Rufus, for bringing this to light. The video was superb and the cause is worthy.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
University Circle is thriving, but that's due in large part to the Cleveland Clinic, which is putting up a new building every week or so now. Tremont is really improving, as is the warehouse district of downtown. The eastern end of Lakewood, on Cleveland's near west side, is experiencing a re-birth like nothing I've ever seen in the Northern Ohio region.

Economic factors, however, keep most of Cleveland down. Here it is, tied for 6th on a not-too-great list.

Rufus

Practically Family
That's very sad to hear... Perhaps all the more reason to save it.

Places can change, and it'd be terrible to lose what little heritage a place may have.

There's many areas of London which were no go areas, and which have now been reclaimed as neighbourhoods. Some have retained character and history, others were mercilessly bulldozed.

Same in Belfast and Derry... the economic turnaround has gone hand in hand with reconciliation (Give or take admittedly).

I take part in art festivals in Derry, where 10 years ago i couldn't have found ANYONE willing to visit the place.

It sounds like some massive investments in Cleveland need to take happen, but you've got to start somewhere...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner