Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surprise Finds at Local Drug Store

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just came from the local outlet of a drug store chain where I found:
Burma Shave shaving soap
Three varieties of Pinaud/Club Man (Bay Rum, Lilac Vegital)
AND
Wildroot.
Had no idea Wildroot was even a real product!

There were several other older brands of verious items - all quite surprising.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wildroot?

Hey Wildroot, do you actually use Wildroot? I too just saw it today at CVS, and it looked too thin for my hair. How well does it work?
flat-top

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Mr. 'H' said:
Go figure, I thought the girls actually like this stuff....

Some do! I use the Clubman Bay Rum, though not in my hair. My wife loves the scent on me more than any other modern fragrance.

Brad

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, Mr. Bowers... it seems....

It seems that you're right. Bay Rum was a Father's Day gift for me today. My wife did it to humor me, and is now crazy about the fragrance.
:)

Michaelson

One Too Many
The Burma Shave mug was part of the 'reintroduction' of the product about 5 years ago, and when it came out, you could buy the mug and soap in one 'kit'. I bought a mug when they came out, and it's been used as a recepicle for my old straight razors and unused blade handles.

The Pinaud and Wildroot has been a staple of our local stores for as long as I can remember, but now adays they come in plastic bottles, rather than the hard marked glass. Still good products, but something got lost with the bottling change.

Regards! Michaelson

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Nice to be right once in a while! To me, Bay Rum smells so much more homey and natural than those artificial, chemically-smelling things.

The plastic bottle does make a difference, and not in a good way. Kind of like the difference in drinking Coca-Cola in a glass bottle as opposed to a plastic one.

Brad

Biltmore Bob said:
James, I don't think you can try the Bay Rum before you buy it. If I'm not mistaken it is sealed with wax at the neck of the bottle.

I meant that I would try it after I bought it and before I got it home. :p
The local Walgreens doesn't carry it here. I looked all over the store. The security guard followed me all over the store too. You would think that he had never seen a guy in a hawaiian shirt with a panama on searching all the shelves. :kick: I was going to buy some pomade there but I had enough with the guard and left. You would think that he would realize that a thief would wear something a little less conspicuous.
I suppose I will try a few other stores.

Regards to all,

J

Biltmore Bob said:
I used to wear aan old ratty pea coat and black watch cap shopping. It used to drive the managers and security crazy.

Well, that actually makes sense. Black and a large coat to stick things usually sets off alarms but a loud Hawaiian shirt and a panama? :p I wasn't wearing a jacket of any kind either. Makes you wonder where they thought I was going to hide stuff. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Just in Ocean City this past week, and dropped into an Eckards Drugs for some benadryl. Saw some Bay Rum on the shelf for $5! Had to get it. It was in a sad little plastic bottle. Not at all like the pictures I had seen on the net. But it was the Clubman Bay Rum. So I got it anyway. First time I had ever smelled it. Its great and I now wear it everyday. I do find that the scent fades after a period of time. Anyone else notice this?

Chad

Michaelson

One Too Many
I've had one of the lilac vegetal glass bottles for well over 25 years, sealed and unopened, on my shelf with my other shaving stuff. Wonder if it's still good? [huh] Regard! Michaelson

Chad Sanborn said:
Just in Ocean City this past week, and dropped into an Eckards Drugs for some benadryl. Saw some Bay Rum on the shelf for $5! Had to get it. It was in a sad little plastic bottle. Not at all like the pictures I had seen on the net. But it was the Clubman Bay Rum. So I got it anyway. First time I had ever smelled it. Its great and I now wear it everyday. I do find that the scent fades after a period of time. Anyone else notice this?

it does fade after a while but when it is fresh the scent really travels. ;)
I paid more for mine darn it. :kick:
The plastic bottle isn't so bad if you ignore it. :p
I use it everyday now as well after I shave.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot