Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surprise!!!

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Pleasantly surprised to tell you that my cheap eBay "Champ" hat is actually a ...

(drum roll please)

Royal Deluxe Stetson Open Road in a Champ box! 7 1/2 LO!

Whew ... and the seller never answered an e-mail. I was getting paranoid that it wasn't going to ship.

Pics once I clean it up a bit.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Tried to get some "outside but in the shade" shots for best color ...

2404343480_444f152578.jpg

2404343390_d000c1d865.jpg

2404343310_4fba36bac0.jpg

2404343236_bb1ec4ee31.jpg

2403515403_50f6e7047d.jpg

2403515831_4cff1bb701.jpg

Any thoughts on age would be appreciated ...
It has the brown sweat (which I know is older) and peach colored liner (which I have no idea the meaning of). No wind trolley

Thanks everyone!

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Not sure why it posted the links and not the photos ... that's a bit annoying.:rage:

Anyway, the crease it had was crooked, so I've already played with it a bit. May tweak more, but I sure like it so far!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Way to go, champ.

2404343310_4fba36bac0.jpg

2404343390_d000c1d865.jpg

2404343480_444f152578.jpg

To get those images to show up here you need to remove the "?v=0" at the end of each URL so that it ends with ".jpg".

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
AlanC said:
To get those images to show up here you need to remove the "?v=0" at the end of each URL so that it ends with ".jpg".

Thanks, Alan, I knew it had to be something like that, as posting pics had worked for me plenty of times before :eek:

And many thanks to everyone for the kind words!

Spellflower

Practically Family
I just feel bad for the poor guy who got bought a Stetson and opened the box to find a Champ! But good for you just the same.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
lol

Here's my theory in progress ... I am starting to believe that a lot of people aquaint the name "Stetson" with a style and not a company. I mentioned to a friend about a month ago that I was on Ebay looking at hats and that a particular Stetson looked good, but I knew it'd go out of my price range. He answered, "But a Stetson is not your style, is it?"

I had to explain to him that while the Stetson name is big in cowboy circles, the company is well respected for making all kinds of hats, not just what he thought of as "Stetsons."

And the seller in this auction actually did mention the name Stetson. In the answer to the inevitable size question (since it, of course, was not given up front), the seller answered " 7 1/2 long oval stetson "

The Auction

Honestly, I had a hunch about it. I never said anything because I was afraid to jinx it, but in my gut I recognized the those fuzzy pictures never were of a Champ hat. ;)

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Drawing from above and beyond

HamletJSD said:
Here's my theory in progress ... I am starting to believe that a lot of people aquaint the name "Stetson" with a style and not a company. I mentioned to a friend about a month ago that I was on Ebay looking at hats and that a particular Stetson looked good, but I knew it'd go out of my price range. He answered, "But a Stetson is not your style, is it?"

It is certainly a plausible theory. Particularly iconic brand names often become identified with a particular item, viz. band-aid for 'adhesive medical strip' or, more impressively, coke for 'soft drink' in many parts of the America South. I recall that a a few years ago my grandfather referred to my hat, then a cheap, center-dented and front pinched black crushable wool felt fedora, as a, "stetson."

Spellflower

Practically Family
I guess in this age of ball caps, there are many who lump all hats with 360 brims into one category. So why not name that category for the most famous brand to make such hats? Maybe MK should rename this place The stetson Lounge (small s to avoid lawsuits).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran