Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suspender buttons outside or in?

zen15

New in Town
A question for all and opionions please,
I want to wear moleskin trousers with braces, I live in the countryside,and shoot regularly and am fed up looking like "rambo" was aiming more towards "mellors " from " Lady Chatterly's Lover " games keeper, have some incredible Le Chameau"boots and" Barbour" jacket but a belt ruins the look of the trousers , so was going to get trousre altered for braces , so buttons on outside or in? and does it change for suits, have a tux and want to wear black leather braces with it , Thanks for your assistance
zen

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's just a question of what you think looks best. Work wear usually always looks better with the suspender buttons on the outside since it's a little more rugged to the eye. But if you go that route with workwear it's good to get tough looking buttons, even metal ones.

Dress trousers on the other hand... well they have been done both ways in the past. It's common to see trousers with the suspender buttons on the outside through the 20s 30s and 40s though in the 50's I think it looked a bit like too much was going on for the look, so most are on the inside if you even find them. Remember, it was James Bond Elvis era... belts or even adjustable waistbands with no need for any extra support were king, check out Cary Grant in North by Northwest.

With my suits I recommend putting the buttons on the outside in the back and inside in the front to avoid feeling the buttons against your back though keeping them hidden in front in case you wear a belt.

I've seen some pretty cool pics of Gary Cooper (awesome dresser) with striped pants on from a suit with his watch chain wrapped around his outside suspender button.

Yet with a tuxedo, to go with the formality of the clean look, and also to keep any extras you might wear (like a cummerbund if you wear one) from catching n the buttons, I suggest inside for all.

So... It is more traditional in the past to have them on the outside if you choose, in any arrangement. Today inside is standard. But when it comes to what you think looks best, it's up to you. I did them all on the outside for my last client.

anon`

One Too Many
External buttons used to be par for the course, back when a waistcoat was de rigueur for men. As the waistcoat began to fade out of existence, the buttons gradually migrated to the inside of the waistband. For my part, I have one suit whose rear pair of buttons are on the outside of the waistband, while the front four are on the inside. Not sure why.
My tuxedo, custom made for one Mr K Frisbee in 1940, has all six outside the waistband.

Really, it's personal preference. My preference here goes along with what appears to be that of an entire generation of men: on the inside for a suit, unless it includes a waistcoat (or cummberund, in the case of some black-tie ensembles). I rather like the eternal buttons otherwise.

I also say "suit" because I quite like the look of more casual trousers when the buttons are on the outside. No idea why, I just do. Blame Nathan Fillion, I guess ;)

zen15

New in Town
thanks matt /anon

matt , thats an excellent idea putting them on the outside at back and inside on front , obvious when it's said , but never thought of myself,
thanks

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I recommend that you follow my example and have the buttons for the braces on the outside of the trousers at the front and on the inside at the back. If, like me, you remove your jacket when driving, you will find that this arrangement spares the leather seat of your Royce.Bowns Bespoke

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Yeah... but it just doesn't look as good when you have a split back that has buttons on the inside. If he has buttons that cut through Bentley upholstery... well those must be some buttons.

I find it better just to replace the upholstery anyway... or the car.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I'll agree that both work, but with the understanding that I prefer outside, for a number of reasons...

1.) the buttons can start to dig into the skin if you have a semi-active schedule, even in a pair of bespoke slacks.

2.) if the suspenders are seen momentarily, well, they're suspenders; buttons in or out make little difference at that point, unless you use jingle bells for buttons. Normally, a vest or the suit coat/sport coat will keep them covered.

Third, if you invest in Thurstons, the king of braces, part of the charm of Thurston's is to have a bit of box cloth tail hanging below the waistline, an inch or two. What does button placement matter at that point?

Finally, attaching a replacement button to the outside is easier, I find.

Take into account your daily activities, like leather seats in the car, the office chair, lunch, that sort of thing. Decide what you like - all out, all in, half out, what have you.
That's my two cents.

GBR

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
I recommend that you follow my example and have the buttons for the braces on the outside of the trousers at the front and on the inside at the back. If, like me, you remove your jacket when driving, you will find that this arrangement spares the leather seat of your Royce.Bowns Bespoke

I would take little or no notice of Bown and his affectations - given that he does not even admit that he gets the garments he reviews for nothing on the strength of the advertising value of his site he devalues all he rants about.

Geesie

Practically Family
GBR said:
I would take little or no notice of Bown and his affectations - given that he does not even admit that he gets the garments he reviews for nothing on the strength of the advertising value of his site he devalues all he rants about.

And besides, I'm not about to take seriously a man who has to drive his own Rolls. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats