Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweat! (Not Sweet)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'm kind of bummed, but I got sweat stains on a hat ribbon that is not replacable. :eek: It was just one of those really hot days, and the hat saved my noggin from the sun, no doubt, but not without injury. My sweat soaked clean through! :(
Any home-remedies that don't involve removing the ribbon? The hat is straw by the way.
NB

duggap

Banned
NB, check a little futher down the page, there is a listing on ribbon stains. Dinerman said he used spit with good luck. I would have referenced the thread for you but didn't figure out how to.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unless you had something on your head that would naturally leave a stain on any other item (motor oil, coffee, etc.), you're probably just dealing with a little salt, urea and water. Nothing too bad.

I think the above suggestion of dabbing with a wet cloth should work. I wouldn't submerge the hat in water, but really get that cloth soaked before dabbing. Let air dry and that should be it.

If it's just sweat. Anything else, no clue.

big kahuna

Familiar Face
I feel your pain...

Being a BIG guy, I sweat anytime the mercury gets above 68 :eek: (BTW...that's why I live in the SF area). I have some staining above the ribbon on my 600 wpi panama, and have learned to carry a cloth hankie to dry the leather band frequently on hot days, to turn the band down at night to allow to dry, and to use water and a rag to clean the salt and crud off of the band and inside of the hat nightly.

I think of it as required daily maintenance, like cleaning a gun after a day at the range, or polishing yer shoes...:D

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Undertow said:
Unless you had something on your head that would naturally leave a stain on any other item, you're probably just dealing with a little salt, urea and water.

It's just sweat, straight up, no twist.

big kahuna said:
I have some staining above the ribbon on my 600 wpi panama, and have learned to carry a cloth hankie to dry the leather band frequently on hot days...

I carry a hankie for that, too... but it soaks through just as well. The summers are brutal on me, and my hats.

Well, I try a few things as mentioned and let you know what happens.
NB

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use a spray bottle to wet down the ribbon thoroughly to dilute the sweat. That usually takes care of the border of the stain to make it less noticeable.

I'd like to find a source for those corrugated plastic thingies that Borsalino puts between the sweatband and the hat body. That seems to protect the ribbon.

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Blot it or spray it with distilled water, let it dry, then brush it out with a dry tooth brush, a fingernail or a clothes brush. Worked like a charm on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic