Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Tapping for Health & Fitness"

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I'm considering learning to "Tap Dance" I do walk an awful lot but need to get my heart rate up a tad, does anyone tap?, how easy is it to learn?

Tommy_Tune.gif

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Binks, I started learning tap as an adult. I didn't find it difficult but then I've danced all my life doing ballet anyway, so??????? [huh]

I did a couple of years/grades and only stopped as I moved the UK and couldn't find any classes locally.

It was great fun. Be nice to take it up again if I wasn't so darned busy already.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
It's never too late!

Dear Binkie,
More of an anecdote than an answer...but I hope it will encourage you.

I was...always a strange lad, with strange interests: like--well, all THIS stuff--and, as a young teenager had more friends above 60 than under 20. One of them, Jim Boyle (God rest his soul!) was a hard-handed working man; his father had been the town blacksmith, and like many Irish/Irish-American families at the time, had a "family band." Jim wanted desperately to play piano...but piano was already covered by one of his sisters, so he was forced to play fiddle, which he stopped as soon as he could get away with it. A true man of his time, he also adored the big movie musicals and wanted to learn to tap-dance...but, as I said: he was a working stiff, and had neither time nor money.

When he retired at 65....God bless him, he went and learned to do both. I'm not going to tell you that you would have mistaken him for either Fred Astaire nor Liberace...but he played (I'm a professional musician, and enjoyed playing with him)...and danced. It was really quite something to see: he participated in all the dance recitals of our little local dance school. There were the 4 year olds; and the 8 year olds; and the 12 year olds; and the 16 year olds....and then there was Jim. He had more fun in those last years of his life than in all the rest I think, and (unlike many of us) he actually pursued not one, but two, boyhood dreams.

If Jim Boyle could do it at 65 and up, I'm sure you can, as well...if you want to, and if you're prepared to ENJOY whatever you can do, and not sweat the fact that you probably won't be mistaken for Fred Astaire, either.

And, Heaven knows....it IS good exercise. I bet you'll surprise yourself, and I for one hope you'll give it a whirl.

Sincerely,
"Skeet"

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Thanks Miss Sis and Skeet. for your encouragement , I really think I will, I watched the Directors cut of Ken Russel's "The Boyfriend" over the weekend, some wonderful routines. there was talk at the time that Twiggy and Tommy tune would make a follow up set on a 1930's ocean liner!!!!!

And what a delight Barbara Windsor is She even "taps!" there is also a wonderful "Najinsky" fantasy balet scene that i didn't remember from the movie release in 1971

1157835968.bmp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWUWDqXc0ZI 1971 movie trailer!!!!!!!!!

http://www.learmedia.ca/product_info.php/cPath/14/products_id/1589

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
Thanks Miss Sis and Skeet. for your encouragement , I really think I will

Good one yez, Binkie! Make sure, when you get a bit along, you post some video of one of your routines...and until then, let us know how you get along.

"Skeet"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You'll need shoes.

"Closeup of dancer Fred Astaire's hands holding his tap shoes while displaying the standard toe & heel plates with the addition of a loosely imbedded steel washer which clinks however lightly the heel is dropped on the floor. (Photo by Bob Landry//Time Life Pictures/Getty Images)"

50693236.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
When I took tap in junior college and when the kids did when they were younger, they never had washers imbedded. I think perhaps this was something unique that Fred did, or maybe they only used to do that many many years ago. Normally its just heel and toe taps.

BinkieB, you'd probably have a GREAT time taking tap!! Also consider taking Ballroom Dance lessons too- we're all ballroom dancers here, and its great for exercise. I'm sure you've seen the Baz Luhrman film "Strictly Ballroom"...

Tomasso said:
"Closeup of dancer Fred Astaire's hands holding his tap shoes while displaying the standard toe & heel plates with the addition of a loosely imbedded steel washer which clinks however lightly the heel is dropped on the floor. (Photo by Bob Landry//Time Life Pictures/Getty Images)"

50693236.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Miss Sis said:
'Jingle' Taps, as those above are often called are seen as 'cheating'
He also filed his taps. :eek:

"Actor/dancer Fred Astaire filing smooth the metal of tap on a dance shoe as he sits next to a pile of 34 of his 84 paris of dancing shoes at home. "

50693233.jpg

(Photo by Bob Landry//Time Life Pictures/Getty Images)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Tap was one of the parts of dance I had in high school, I loved it. Hmm, wonder if I can find a class out here that caters to all ages. something to do with the youngins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael