Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
warbird said:
Are you talking one or two tats, or these people covered up in them?

Let's say a considerable number, like seven, but utterly invisible when he wore a suit, which was all the time.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maj.Nick Danger said:
No, wouldn't. I know several people with varying amounts of tattoos, and it doesn't really bother me. I just don't get the reasoning behind wanting them in the first place, being permanent and all. [huh] But that's just me. Then there are people such as the Maoris from New Zealand that quite honestly look rather interesting with the patterns they tattoo on their faces. It's been part of their culture for perhaps thousands of years.
At the risk of appearing "Politically Incorrect", I would however draw the line at someone with tattoos on their face. If it were someone from this country, and a gang member of the criminal underground such as the individual that was pictured in that other thread, he had best be prepared to run. Maybe people from other countries fail to realize that we have these people over here that spend most of their lives in prison, because of their criminal activities? And that the tattoos they wear are all gang related?
I looked into the story behind that pic and found that this person had murdered a cop. :mad: Also another picture of him showed the tattoo of hitler on his chest, as well as the childish and stupid looking scrawls all over his carcass. :rage:

But I JUST SAID he was a gentleman in every way, a PhD in a respectable subject, admirable, .... so no, not a criminal in jail or Yakuza.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Doran said:
This is the real question. This is the question for all the cantankerous yet lovable tattoo haters. WOULD YOU BE UPSET IF YOUR DAUGHTER MARRIED A TATTOOED MAN. This, my dears, is where the rubber hits thr road, where the bullet hits the bone, etc.
Let's say the man was 30, your daughter 27. He was unobjectionable, in fact admirable in every way. He was an impeccable dresser, a perfect gentleman in double breasted suits. A PhD in a respectable subject.

BUT HE HAD TATTOOS.
Would this upset you?

This is the question and I want answers. Not from the tattooed people but from the non-tattooed people. Be truthful.
(Don't worry, I, who fit this description pretty closely, am already taken.)

As long as he could hold a job, it wouldn't bother me a bit. And I say this as someone whose only tattoo was a lick-and-stick of Pete Rose's face that I applied to the back of my hand when I was eight.

Although the PhD thing might give me pause. Some of those guys stick so close to the Fountain of Knowledge they get waterlogged.

Edward

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
Although the PhD thing might give me pause. Some of those guys stick so close to the Fountain of Knowledge they get waterlogged.

You mean he might be one of those types that stay in education to keep out of the real world? Ha ha.... I often think one reason I'm an academic is cause i wouldn't last five minutes out there .... that and (back in the day) the free email access. lol

Woland

One of the Regulars
I got my first tattoo at the age of 19.
Home made stuff, ugly as h***, (vintage punk :rage:).

I am now 47 years old, have fathered four girls, am properly educated, and got my own successful business.

I have a couple of tattoos, (quite a few in fact).
I do not regret a single one of them.

As I see it; tattoos are a fixation point in time.
When pressed I usually compare them with stickers on a suitcase.
They are simply me, at some point in my life...
A ritualistic action through which I mark turning points in my life.

My right arm is entirely covered, a so called sleeve.
My left arm will be to.
I am also planning a backpiece, covering my back from shoulders down to my bum.

I would never get a tattoo in a location which can not be covered.
Many tattooists actually refuse to do facials or hands.

Here is one of my tats in the making.
A pufferfish done in old-school Japanese style.

Outline:

biocellatus1.jpg

Shading:

biocellatus2.jpg

End product:

biocellatus3.jpg

My dream is to get my backpiece done by the Japanese Tattoo-artist Shige.
I met him at the London Tattoo Convention last year.
It will mean a month or two in Yokohama, but that wouldn't hurt, (as much as the needles or my wallet).

The Artwork of Shige can be seen here.

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
What the?!

I searched for a tattoo thread last night and got nothing....

Well I posted this in the powder room but I finally have a decent picture to post of mine. I got a tattoo the second I turned 18 and I HATED it, so just recently I got it covered
Before:
l_8b632ad6ac94bab5018762dec14257a1.jpg

Now:
l_4e5d367ab68d43e5934875baa75c1827.jpg

S

Samsa

Over the last few months I've been seriously thinking about getting a tattoo, but remain uncertain as to what I would get.

I'd be curious to hear from members here who have gotten tattoos over the years - how long did it take you to decide on getting a tattoo, and how did you settle on what you wanted?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Shige

Woland said:
I got my first tattoo at the age of 19.
Home made stuff, ugly as h***, (vintage punk :rage:).

I am now 47 years old, have fathered four girls, am properly educated, and got my own successful business.

I have a couple of tattoos, (quite a few in fact).
I do not regret a single one of them.

As I see it; tattoos are a fixation point in time.
When pressed I usually compare them with stickers on a suitcase.
They are simply me, at some point in my life...
A ritualistic action through which I mark turning points in my life.

My right arm is entirely covered, a so called sleeve.
My left arm will be to.
I am also planning a backpiece, covering my back from shoulders down to my bum.

I would never get a tattoo in a location which can not be covered.
Many tattooists actually refuse to do facials or hands.

Here is one of my tats in the making.
A pufferfish done in old-school Japanese style.

Outline:

biocellatus1.jpg

Shading:

biocellatus2.jpg

End product:

biocellatus3.jpg

My dream is to get my backpiece done by the Japanese Tattoo-artist Shige.
I met him at the London Tattoo Convention last year.
It will mean a month or two in Yokohama, but that wouldn't hurt, (as much as the needles or my wallet).

The Artwork of Shige can be seen here.

That Shige ink art is amazing it makes Rod Steiger look like a graffiti artist.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Samsa said:
Over the last few months I've been seriously thinking about getting a tattoo, but remain uncertain as to what I would get...

The general rule is no names, and usually no animals (although I really like Woland's Green Puffers). Symbols outside your own ethnic group are sometimes frowned upon too, so a lot of people avoid celtic/hindu patterns, and the trend for Japanese text is seen by some as a little passe, not to mention dangerous (unless you are fluent enough in the language in question to be sure the tattooist isn't writing something mean about you lol).

Samsa said:
I'd be curious to hear from members here who have gotten tattoos over the years - how long did it take you to decide on getting a tattoo...

The desire to get one had been in my mind for several years, but once I settled on something I felt suited the medium, the decision to get it done was fairly quick - less than a year. In the end, having talked about it for some time, while I was visiting my friend in Baltimore, she took me to the Tattoo Museum, and I booked myself in there and then. Had she not given me the nudge, I probably wouldn't have gone, but I am very glad I did.

Samsa said:
...and how did you settle on what you wanted?

To those who know me, my final choice was a fairly obvious one, but it also appealed to me for many other reasons. I like the fact that the tattoo means different things to different people, and depending on what they know about where it originates dictates whether or not they take it at face value.

My next tattoo - currently in design - is on a similar theme, but very different. I can't wait to get it done.

Samsa, if you ever get one done, you should be prepared for the fact that you will probably get others. When I had mine done, I had no plans to get another. I told the guy this, and he gave a knowing smile, and replied "you'll be back". Even at the time I didn't think he was right, but he was. Since then, the desire to have another done has gradually escalated.

The entire experience is addictive in a slow-burn sort of way.

Jovan

Suspended
ValerieAmelia said:
I searched for a tattoo thread last night and got nothing....

Well I posted this in the powder room but I finally have a decent picture to post of mine. I got a tattoo the second I turned 18 and I HATED it, so just recently I got it covered
Before:
l_8b632ad6ac94bab5018762dec14257a1.jpg

Now:
l_4e5d367ab68d43e5934875baa75c1827.jpg
The first one was pretty cute, really, but what matters is how you like it of course. The second is pretty nice.

I've occasionally given thought to getting a band around the bicep... but I don't nearly have muscles enough to pull it off, plus it reminds me too much of a certain jerk I no longer associate with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy