Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Television Mom & Dad?

Big Man said:
Although my "childhood years" were behind me when the show came on, John and Olivia Walton (as well as Grandma and Grandpa Walton) reminded me most of the type of family I had.

The older I get, the more I realize just how truly blessed I was to have the kind of family I had.

Big Man
Me too. The Walton Family closely resembled my family,also. After Grandpa died,Grandma moved in with my parents and I. Prepared those old fashion homecooked meals until after I graduated from High School. She passed away a few years after that when I returned home from the Army. Some of the best years of my life.:)
HD

panamag8or

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
My mom was (and, alas, still is) a sort of bizarre amalgamation of Archie and Edith Bunker. I understood the falsity of TV families very early on....

As did I. I never looked up to any parents on TV. I knew they wren't real. I wanted parents like the Huxtables, or the Cunninghams.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
panamag8or said:
As did I. I never looked up to any parents on TV. I knew they wren't real. I wanted parents like the Huxtables, or the Cunninghams.

But at least the unreal role models were teaching kids real values and behaviors worth emulating.

panamag8or

Practically Family
PrettySquareGal said:
But at least the unreal role models were teaching kids real values and behaviors worth emulating.

True, but I knew there weren't really a bunch of parents like that running around, and I grew up Mormon!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
They did, I think. That's why I enjoyed watching,(and still do) all those shows like "Bachelor Father", "The Dick VanDyke Show", "Father Knows Best", "The Donna Reed Show", and many others.
Sefton reminded me earlier of my most important role model. Gomez Adams. :D The ultimate eccentric, the guy I always wanted to be like when I grew up. lol

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
I was always partial to Chester & Peg Riley from the 1950's TV show, "The Life of Riley."

39409589_o.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Sefton reminded me earlier of my most important role model. Gomez Adams. :D The ultimate eccentric, the guy I always wanted to be like when I grew up. lol

And Gomez and Morticia seemed to have a pretty nice marriage, and Morticia never schlumped around in track pants! :D

-Viola

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Twitch said:
Oh yeah, the Little House On The Prarie parents had reasonable family values too....

I never forgave them for wrecking up the books I had already read and loved. I was a bitter and pedantic nine-year-old. Also, TV Pa Ingalls is a sissy who Book Pa Ingalls would totally beat up. :)

-Viola

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:
Oh yeah, the Little House On The Prarie parents had reasonable family values too....

How can I forget them?? As an only child, Laura and Mary were my TV sisters.

(Yes, as a latchkey kid I watched a lot of TV growing up.)

Doh!

One Too Many
Parallel Guy said:
OK, maybe they weren't the best parents, but Laura and Rob Petrie provided a great family. Growing up around Buddy and Sally, can't beat it.

How is it they weren't good parents? Just because one lousy woodpecker attacked Richie for a few days??

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I'd have to say that my favorite TV Mom & Dad couple would probably be the Cleavers...

While the couple that most resembles my parents would be the Munsters (its true! Its a running family joke!)...

But my favorite TV mom of all time will forever be Claire Huxtable!

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
My favorite television couple would have to be Red and Kitty Foreman from That 70s Show. They genuinely tried to do a good job with their children while remaining realistic (in both good and bad ways.) I sincerely loved that show though I didn't necessarily agree with everything the characters did, especially that loathesome eighth season *yeesh*.

I also liked the Pryor family on American Dreams. I still get a little saddened when I think of how the show was switched around so much they had to choice but to cancel it. Darn NBC.

L_H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou