Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

Just Jim

A-List Customer
34119745_2574367779255431_4872691146645569536_n.jpg

When was the last time you referred to someone as a battle ax?
Had to stop and think. Haven't had to talk with my ex-mother-in-law or ex-step-mother-in-law since my divorce was final, so just before noon on 2/16/98.

I don’t think I could not do it. It’s one of those things that just feels right so I keep doing it. Besides I think both grandpas and my dad can still somehow reach down and slap the back of my head should I forget “how I was raised”
I can't not say please and thank you.
I'm the same way. Aside from having been raised that way, it's simply easier to be polite and courteous to people and show them that level of respect than it is to be a self-important jackass.

"Give him the air," "give him the gate," or "hand him the mitten" all describe what you should do when you realize that the guy trying to make time with you is a drip, a dope, or a louse.

Not quite the same in meaning, but one that comes up in old movies often is "take a powder," which seems to mean something like "take a hike" or "get lost."

The other day in a post, I used the word "swoon" to describe the effect that Clark Gable had on women when he smiled at them (they nearly passed out from passion for him). "Swoon" isn't really used anymore, is it?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Nobody ever calls anything a "hum-dinger" anymore, a word that was permanently impressed on my consciousness as a child because the local ice cream stand used to sell its fraps in cups so labeled.

big-lot-sweetheart-its-a-humdinger-paper-drink_1_9266e1fb5c9d252f77ffff4bf11658ca.jpg

So I grew up thinking of a "hum-dinger" as "a soupy half-melted solution of milk and cheap Sealtest ice cream that leaves indelible stains on your clothes when the dumb paper straw falls apart halfway thru drinking it."

3fingers

One Too Many
Nobody ever calls anything a "hum-dinger" anymore, a word that was permanently impressed on my consciousness as a child because the local ice cream stand used to sell its fraps in cups so labeled.

big-lot-sweetheart-its-a-humdinger-paper-drink_1_9266e1fb5c9d252f77ffff4bf11658ca.jpg
That must have been some type of franchise/brand in that time frame.
We did not have fraps in the midwest, but I remember that name on ice cream cups and bowls somewhere along the line. My father was a connoisseur of ice cream so we stopped at quite a few places.

That must have been some type of franchise/brand in that time frame.
We did not have fraps in the midwest, but I remember that name on ice cream cups and bowls somewhere along the line. My father was a connoisseur of ice cream so we stopped at quite a few places.

See bolded line above: my dad and yours would have gotten along. Sometimes you couldn't squeeze a nickel out of the old man to save your life, but things always freed up a bit when ice-cream was involved.

3fingers

One Too Many
Outside of New England these were known as "milkshakes", so I'm confident that these were sold in the mid-west. With the rise of "alternative" ingredients, the term has been abbreviated to "shake"
Yes, and I have consumed many of them. I have gathered though that if you ask for a milkshake in certain parts of the country they either would not know what you want or would tag you as an outsider, just as if you asked for a frap from one of our ice cream stands. Although the chain places that claim to serve shakes may have changed that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo