Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terrorism in the "Golden Era"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
If you read Barbara Tuchman's "The Proud Tower", about Europe in the years leading up to WW I, you'll see how those quaint "bomb throwing anarchists" that we think of as so cute today, were the direct forebears of today's terrorists. And in the long run, like modern terrorists, they had virtually no effect on the flow of world events.

Chas

One Too Many
This thread was born "teetering on the edge". One man's terrorist is another man's patriot; and politics being taboo, I'm sure the mods will step in pretty quick here.

Gavrilo Princip was certainly be regarded by many as a terrorist, but to the Serbs as a national hero.

So it goes.

Professor

A-List Customer
Chas said:
This thread was born "teetering on the edge". One man's terrorist is another man's patriot; and politics being taboo, I'm sure the mods will step in pretty quick here.
Pardon, where do you see a political slant? It's an historic account of an event at the World's Fair.

Mav

A-List Customer
Chas said:

Indeed. Until that time, though, let us engage in a political and moral debate that is rarely acceptable in this neo- post- modern world. Particularly in a setting where the scoring of great suits on ebay is the pinnacle of intellectual discussion.
Cries of "one man's terrorist is another man's patriot" is codswallop, and is roughly equivalent to "all opinions are equally valid."
There is a huge line between the killing of innocents and legit guerrilla action. And "legit" is emphatically not in the eye of the beholder, unless we wish to plunge to the dark depths of moral relativism.

Chas

One Too Many
Pirates and Emperors, gentlemen. State-sponsored terrorism or urban guerillas? When anyone other than a "friendly" state does what Israel does, we call it an outrage. If someone like, say, the Serbs shell, bomb and mortar civilians, NATO gets involved. Israel, on the other hand, gets a blank check.

What the Israelis are doing to the people in Gaza is pure terrorism. If you weigh the loss of life in Israel to a few homemade rockets against what the Israeli military has done, how does that escape mention as terrorism?

This man did what he did because "the good guys" didn't leave him any other choice.

munich+olympicciatjj05.jpg

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l8_8773TUmA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l8_8773TUmA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Creeping Past

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
were the direct forebears of today's terrorists. And in the long run, like modern terrorists, they had virtually no effect on the flow of world events.

I'd like to dispute both these assertions, but I can't due to forum rules... :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
Mav said:
Particularly in a setting where the scoring of great suits on ebay is the pinnacle of intellectual discussion.

Actually the pinnacle of intellectual discussion is more what makes a great suit rather the scoring of a suit..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR