Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texas Hatters

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have any experience with this hat maker out of Lockhart Tx? Just had a nice and helpful conversation with the owner Joella re: hat cleaning tips and products.

Renault

One Too Many
They have two of my hats right now. They are Only about 30 miles from my place. I believe Joella was Manny Gammage's daughter.

Manny made me a hat back about 1977 when they were still on S. Lamar in Austin.

They are a bit slow but top notch.

parispal

Familiar Face
SASS: The Single Action Shooting Society

NCOWS: National Congress Of Old West Shootists

google is my friend ;)
http://www.ncows.org/home/about.html

Since its founding NCOWS has grown slowly but steadily, gradually gaining recognition from the shooting fraternity as a viable and significant organization. Early on there was some misunderstanding on the part of some members at least of The Single Action Shooting Society (SASS ) who believed that NCOWS had been founded in opposition to SASS . NCOWS' original aim was to operate parallel to SASS, doing what we could to promote the growth and development of cowboy/western action shooting which, after all, had been invented by SASS . Although we present NCOWS as an alternative organization to those who desire a greater level of historical authenticity and member involvement in governance than SASS provides, we encourage all of our members to support SASS as well as every other shooting organization.

Since its inception NCOWS has been a Charter organization of the National Rifle Association, and strongly recommends that every NCOWS member also be a member of the NRA. Our liability insurance is provided through the NRA

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
OT: Mike Moore (Buckaroo Hatters, TN) is another SASS-shooter. I believe that along with reenacting - and associated need for hats - initially was, what brought him to hatting :)

TPD166

One Too Many
I have been doing business with them for several years - great folks, great service, and great products - plus it gives me an excuse to go to Lockhart (the BBQ Capitol of Texas). Texas Hatters has done custom work, repairs, refurbishes, etc. for me - even remaking several tired vintage hats into fantastic new ones. And I have closely examined other hats they've made in the shop and they are very impressive.

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
Manny was known to pull a fast one or two back in the early 80s. I was in a service fraternity then at UT, and we were required to wear a white shirt, jeans, boots, chaps, and a black hat. The hat would remain in a telescope crown until you completed your probationary period, then you could crease it as you wished. We bought in bulk every year from Texas Hatters. My first rainy football game, my date said "something's wrong with your hat." I looked down, and found that the black dye was running out of it, all over my white shirt. Most of the other new guys had the same look by the end of the day, some finding out that their hats were dark navy under all that dye. It turned out to be a good marketing strategy, as several of us decided we needed Manny to make us newer, more expensive custom cowboy hats. Still have mine, thirty years later. I think maybe he sold us dyed wool the first go-round, as I remember getting rained on and a friend waking up next to the campfire, finding that the wet hat had dried nicely, but in the size of a small child's hat. The customs were always top notch. Frank.

RJR

Manny was known to pull a fast one or two back in the early 80s. I was in a service fraternity then at UT, and we were required to wear a white shirt, jeans, boots, chaps, and a black hat. The hat would remain in a telescope crown until you completed your probationary period, then you could crease it as you wished. We bought in bulk every year from Texas Hatters. My first rainy football game, my date said "something's wrong with your hat." I looked down, and found that the black dye was running out of it, all over my white shirt. Most of the other new guys had the same look by the end of the day, some finding out that their hats were dark navy under all that dye. It turned out to be a good marketing strategy, as several of us decided we needed Manny to make us newer, more expensive custom cowboy hats. Still have mine, thirty years later. I think maybe he sold us dyed wool the first go-round, as I remember getting rained on and a friend waking up next to the campfire, finding that the wet hat had dried nicely, but in the size of a small child's hat. The customs were always top notch. Frank.
Great story!

This arrived just now. Needs a brushing and some reshaping. I'll wear it in Norma's honor.

595999096dea0f2842ad260cb7c0ea70.jpg

1a2a82258913904f91878c3bf046b1b5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran