Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 50s halfbelt has landed (but too short?)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Loungers, after a long wait (ordered in November last year) my Aero 50s HB (pic here) has arrived. It's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, as Aeros with rare exception reliably are, but I'm wondering whether anyone thinks it's too short: I in fact ordered it one inch longer and I'm not sure whether it's too cropped. Have other loungers had any experiences with returns on something relatively minor such as this? Sir J
50hb_200311_0021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Good for riding but does look a tad short in front. Did you say its for a bike? Does it usually come shorter in front? I know the Racers do.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like it that way. I think it is good for a vintage look. It's 50s. The rise on trousers was higher, even on jeans. But I can just speak from my limeted expierience because I don't collect leather jackets. Just judging from short sports/work jackets of that time.

mrc

Familiar Face
I definitely agree in the distinction between the cafe racer fit and the 50s halfbelt fit. I really like my long length cafe racer (it's one of the Aero custom cafe' racers that a store in Seattle, Insurrection, carries), but my 40s Hercules halfbelt fits similarly to your Aero version and I have really enjoyed it for a more tucked-in and belted look. I think it was very smart to get the extra inch, which make the fit a little more modern. It looks great on you!

53Effie

A-List Customer
I like it as is. Very nice jacket. I too think it is kind of a matter of personal taste. The rise on trousers can make a difference in how things appear as well. That is just how I was hoping my Ike jacket would be cut, but unfortunately it turned out much longer.

Trust But Verify

New in Town
I think that the fit is correct for the type of jacket that Aero is trying to emulate. I recently found a 1930s halfbelt and was at first concerned over the much shorter fit, but I've mostly received compliments on how it fits me. But I totally understand where you're coming from; the halfbelt can be (imho) stepping outside of one's comfort zone if they've been into the longer, trimmer styles (like I have). Just let yourself get used to it for a bit, I think, because it's a great jacket that you have! Cheers!

Edward

Bartender
The length is period correct. Quite rare for Aero to get that right, but then, they're not really nuts and bolts reproduction company. Mostly they cut for the dreaded "modern taste/body".

bk

My experience with them has been all good, but yes I know exactly what you mean. Far too many companies these days claim to offer vintage cut items..... and then tell you they've altered it to suit "modern" tastes and shapes, which runs perilously close to negating the point in the first place, IMHO.

blethook

One of the Regulars
I find it strange that the back side can appear longer than the front side.

I suspect it's just the way you're wearing the jacket. Try zipping it up to balance it. Otherwise, it looks OK to me.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I think wearing a long sweater that shows below the hem of a jacket can give the illusion that it is too short. I would like to see another picture without the sweater - I bet the jacket covers your belt, it which case it's perfect. Nice half-belt, enjoy!

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
I prefer waist length jackets to hit at least 1" below the bottom of my belts. Try wearing it w/ a tucked shirt. I think you could get away with it but I personally would prefer more length in both the sleeves and waist.

FYI... usually when I have a sneaking suspicion that a garment doesn't fit right... my instincts prove right in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24