Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 80s, myth and reality?

Edward

Bartender
I first saw this while Aldershot and a favourite it became. However, DeNiro's character is US Army Special Forces
thru its second half, Vietnam, his rotation back, and while on leave he is uniformed as would be normal while in service transit under kit. He returns to Vietnam in uniform, and only appears mufti at the gambling hall wearing white suit.
The concluding funeral service scene he again is in uniform, still on active service and hasn't been discharged.
So such signifies active service soldier wartime with normal uniform attire worn transit/leave.

Of course it reflects the normal practice in that regard - but it's still milked heavily for its symbolism in the film nonetheless.

Your ''metaphorical rather than literal'' is rather shopworn cliche. Larger Vietnamese culture writ literal cruelty based
on reality. The film was broken down with American officers in attendance whom openly discussed American atrocities and that of the North Vietnamese regulars and irregular Viet Cong in quite even handed frankness.
Surprisingly more favourable than might be supposed but the Americans held their former foes with high regard.

It's certainly (often, if not universally) true in my experience that those who actually were involved in a war, more or less any war/ "police action" / military operation have an awful lot more nuanced a view than many civilians when it comes to this sort of thing.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Of course it reflects the normal practice in that regard - but it's still milked heavily for its symbolism in the film nonetheless.

It's certainly (often, if not universally) true in my experience that those who actually were involved in a war, more or less any war/ "police action" / military operation have an awful lot more nuanced a view than many civilians when it comes to this sort of thing.
I enjoy the inherent symbolism of Deer Hunter--the bowling alley scene where a uniformed Bobbie D runs down
a lane to rescue his civilian friend lodged in the pin setter captures the American involve with attempting to rescue
South Vietnam from communism. That particular scene does milk it but weaned off the tit perspective, it's not so much ploy codpiece but stage wardrobe to stake a valid claim separating those within and without that era.

Cock Robin is kind of an airplay phenomenon, here in Europe. Nearly everyone likes them, althought they seemed to be not that popular in the US.
Peak of AOR chorus stuff. I still love it over headphones.

Fifty150

One Too Many
There was a boy being raised by a single mother. They moved around a lot. He had a hard time fitting in and making friends. This older man enters his life. He begins to spend more and more of his time with this older gentleman. The man is giving him clothes to wear. Taking him for long walks on the beach as the sun is setting. Giving him alcohol. They spend the night together in his gardening shed. Taking him to his cabin at the lake. Giving him cars to drive. The old guy is giving him massages. Suddenly his mom is out of the picture, and the old man is taking him on trips. Next thing that you know, they're moving in together. This senior citizen was a real groomer.

Fifty150

One Too Many
This song came around, right when people started to realize that The 80's were over. The Quaaludes ran out. Weird, that it's still being performed, and a new generation is singing it.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 22.42.22.png

Screenshot 2023-12-12 22.42.46.png

The big thing here in the 80s was drugs.

Aah, now I also remember a statement from Falco about the early 80s in Europe, whicht confirmed it in a short but pregnant way. In an interview, he said things like:
"In the begin of the 80s, I thought naaah, the thing with cocaine and all the stuff is over. But THEN, it really STARTED!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner