Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Accursed "Boomerangers"

vintage68

Practically Family
MikeBravo: Life is strange. It gives us the test first, and the lesson after

No testimony without the test.

Also, I think people internalize things a bit much in a bad economy which is an external, objective circumstance. Unless someone has serious mental or emotional problems, or is just plain lazy or immature, no one over a certain age would choose to live with one's parents.

I for one believe we are in the early stages of a new economic depression, and I believe we'll begin to see whole generations of families consolidating resources and living under the same roof.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
vintage68 said:
Unless someone has serious mental or emotional problems, or is just plain lazy or immature, no one over a certain age would choose to live with one's parents.

OR someone comes from a culture where there is an expectation that you will stay home until you marry. Or your parents have reached a point where they need your care. There are definitely reasons why intelligent and socially well adjusted and able people may live at home. We're only about 2 generations away from it being the norm to have a large extended family living pretty much under one roof.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
I also landed back home from 21 - 25. I get along extremely well with my mother, but the first year back was very, very taxing on both of us.

Same here (I was in college) except that it was a very, very demoralizing experience the entire time. The constant criticism, my mother's high maintenance personality, and their treating me like I was ten years old and retarded, even though I was a military veteran and a mechanical engineering major at a university, made me happy to get the hell out of there.

vintage68

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
OR someone comes from a culture where there is an expectation that you will stay home until you marry. Or your parents have reached a point where they need your care. There are definitely reasons why intelligent and socially well adjusted and able people may live at home. We're only about 2 generations away from it being the norm to have a large extended family living pretty much under one roof.

I agree with you. Generations of families living under one roof was the norm, and for the record I relocated to look after aging parents, so I'm not judging anyone for living at home (all things being equal).

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
vintage68 said:
MikeBravo: Life is strange. It gives us the test first, and the lesson after

No testimony without the test.

Also, I think people internalize things a bit much in a bad economy which is an external, objective circumstance. Unless someone has serious mental or emotional problems, or is just plain lazy or immature, no one over a certain age would choose to live with one's parents.

I for one believe we are in the early stages of a new economic depression, and I believe we'll begin to see whole generations of families consolidating resources and living under the same roof.

This is a very scary and real possibility that my dad and I have discussed many times over the past two years. It has definitely led to much higher competition for federal jobs, as everyone wants the job security since the private sector has become so risky.

I'm trying to see the silver lining to these possibilities though. The scenario you speak of in which generations pool their resources may return our society to the social bonds and cohesiveness that it seems our culture has lost in the modern age. In other words, even while these changes can definitely be painful and a change, they may not be all for the worse.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
I'm trying to see the silver lining to these possibilities though. The scenario you speak of in which generations pool their resources may return our society to the social bonds and cohesiveness that it seems our culture has lost in the modern age. In other words, even while these changes can definitely be painful and a change, they may not be all for the worse.

This is what I'm thinking is going to happen. In the words of the immortal Monty Python, "Always look on the bright side of life."

Brad

HepKitty

One Too Many
No way could I live with my mother again for sure, but she passed away last year and my dad is getting up there so I worry about him. I don't like living so far away and I was hoping that he would want to move closer to me but he wants to move back to MT [huh]

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
I'm disheveled and I'm disdainful/And I'm distracted and it's painful

I am, as of two Mondays ago, twenty six years old and caught in such a condition. I finished my master of public administration degree last December and since have been favored with but two interviews for professional positions, neither yielding employment, which is a great shame because both were nearly ideal positions for me. I am not very good at giving interviews, especially 'behavioral' interviews, which I think is what would be produced if some very bored and malign think-tank were to work to design an interview form to flummox me.

I've not even done well in finding more ordinary work. I was a census enumerator for a few months, but people seem reluctant to hire somebody with a master's degree to be a clerk or what-have-you.

My parents have been mercifully exceedingly gracious in housing me. Just like *sigh* the 'old days'.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Delthayre said:
I am, as of two Mondays ago, twenty six years old and caught in such a condition. I finished my master of public administration degree last December and since have been favored with but two interviews for professional positions, neither yielding employment, which is a great shame because both were nearly ideal positions for me. I am not very good at giving interviews, especially 'behavioral' interviews, which I think is what would be produced if some very bored and malign think-tank were to work to design an interview form to flummox me.

I've not even done well in finding more ordinary work. I was a census enumerator for a few months, but people seem reluctant to hire somebody with a master's degree to be a clerk or what-have-you.

My parents have been mercifully exceedingly gracious in housing me. Just like *sigh* the 'old days'.

I feel for you Delthayre. Just keep the patience and the resilience, and know that you're not alone.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Delthayre said:

I had a horrible time finding a job after I finished college, but I'm so far away from my family that living with them was not an option. Rent got paid by loans from friends and xmas gifts of cash. As for ordinary work to get you by, I learned after the fact to keep a dumbed-down copy of your resume for such jobs because if they see that you have degrees and/or good experience, they know you will bail on them when you find something better and won't bother with you in the first place.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
With the economy the way it is, companies don't want to hire new graduates. There are plenty of people on the market with a few years of experience, so they don't want to take some kid from college and give him a few months of training about "how it works in the real world", they want someone who at least has already had that training and will be able to be productive right away.

Since you're living in a situation where you don't need to worry about supporting yourself so much, take advantage of it. Find a low- or no-pay internship that will gain you that all-important real-world experience. Just make sure that the company doesn't think "intern" means "unpaid slave to make coffee and file papers", but thinks it means "inexperienced new grad that we can train and evaluate as a future employee with little cost/risk".

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
adamjaskie said:
With the economy the way it is, companies don't want to hire new graduates. There are plenty of people on the market with a few years of experience, so they don't want to take some kid from college and give him a few months of training about "how it works in the real world", they want someone who at least has already had that training and will be able to be productive right away.

I have determined this to definitely be part of my problem in the current economic climate. I feel that new college graduates (including ones with perhaps a few years of work experience in their field, which include myself) are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

On one hand, new college graduates cannot compete with those in the work force who have years upon years of work experience who have suddenly lost their jobs, or have decided to transition to something different.

On the other side of the token, many employers don't want to hire new college graduates with some work experience who perhaps are slightly over qualified, for the fear of losing them at some point or another when they finally transition into what they really want to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner