Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

WH1

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Richard H. Stewart was my great great uncle. He was head photographer for the National Geographic, and worked for them from 1924 to 1966. Open up almost any old national geographic and you will see his name.
He died in 2004, but was sharp until just shy of the end.
I wish I could find some better photos of him (there are plenty by him), you'd get a kick out of them, I'm sure.

stewartleft.jpg

Wow, your great great uncle could probably be a thread all his own. He must have been a facsinating gentleman to spend time with. Did he ever write a memoir? You were very fortunate to have had the opportunity to know him. Very high on the list of "cool" relatives.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
WH1 said:
Wow, your great great uncle could probably be a thread all his own. He must have been a facsinating gentleman to spend time with. Did he ever write a memoir? You were very fortunate to have had the opportunity to know him. Very high on the list of "cool" relatives.

He never wrote a memoir, but look through old national geographics and you can see a good part of his life.

It's amazing the people of my family from that generation. One brother was head photographer, one was head lab technician, and one started his own architectural photography company.

When I go back to maryland in a couple of months, I'll see if I can dig some things up and start a full blown thread.

Mike K.

One Too Many
RBH said:
Thanks BT, I wanted the hat for its 'rural' look, but it has that adventure style going for it also.
It just may be a very versatile hat.

clothfedlx5.jpg
Does this hat have a specific name or particular search terms on ebay?
Looks about like what I've been searching for too.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Mike, there has been a cache of these being sold off on eBay for some time.
My one is French- maybe using "French" will help, when searching.

B
T
Those look a lot like the bush hats the French wore in Indochina. I can't find a good pic of one of them, but the style carried on into the US war in Vietnam, worn by a lot of ARVN units, but were expecially popular with the Air Force Air Commandos. They were all made in country, and the 1st Air Commando had authorization to wear them(authorized by none other than Curtis LeMay). When I was in AF Special Ops, I looked everywhere for one in my size. I even tried to get my unit to start using the Air Commando arch on our stuff, but they weren't into it. Too much history for them, I suppose.

hat.gif

A lot of units in Laos, Viet Nam, Cambodia, and others still wear them, but they are remarkably hard to find, at least in a 56 or 57.

5750e42c0.jpg

I you can find one, they are great hats. The French version was very floppy, and had a rounded crown, but it could have been bashed like the one in your picture, Mike. The US and later versions are stiffer, and thus hold up to rain a bit better. The one I had (that didn't fit, dang it) and the ones I've seen are pretty stiff.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Postwar British bush hat

I have just acquired (for 7 GBP) a mint example of a felt British bush hat, like the wartime pattern, but with a (very feint) 1946 date. This is the first one I have seen, and previously I had assumed (with others, I suspect) that the (JG) 1944 pattern was the only issue until the (KD) 1950 pattern came along.

I am pleased to be proved wrong. How exciting is that?

Mike K.

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Mike, there has been a cache of these being sold off on eBay for some time.
My one is French- maybe using "French" will help, when searching.
I'm still coming up empty...maybe using the wrong search terms.
What did you guys type on the auction search for this specific hat?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have three questions here:

1. Which hat is better for adventure gear, a cotton Tilley (ugly to some but definitely durable) or a fedora (nicer but only durable when expensive).

2. How sensible is a leather jacket for real outdoor wear? I know Indiana Jones wears one, but that is just a film.

3. Is a trench coat or great coat a good idea for outdoor wear?

Mike K.

One Too Many
avedwards said:
I have three questions here:

1. Which hat is better for adventure gear, a cotton Tilley (ugly to some but definitely durable) or a fedora (nicer but only durable when expensive).

2. How sensible is a leather jacket for real outdoor wear? I know Indiana Jones wears one, but that is just a film.

3. Is a trench coat or great coat a good idea for outdoor wear?
Answer: It all depends!

-I tend to do most of my work (and adventure) in tropical/subtropical locations. A cotton or straw hat works best because it shades the sun but is also much cooler than a felt hat. Doesn't matter to me if it's a boonie hat, fedora, etc.

-Leather jackets are best left for cooler conditions but are rugged (depending on hide). When I venture northward, I'll take the good ol' leather flight jacket. Also, when I'm hanging out the airplane window tracking wildlife (even in summer), the leather jacket is great for cutting the wind chill. Otherwise, it's a cotton drill bush/safari jacket for me.

-Trench coat? Forget it. Even if we're talking about a long-length rain coat, you'd be better off with other options. They just restrict movement too much. Cowpokes might say otherwise.

But again, this is for what I do. Your adventuring needs might (and probably are) quite different.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Before the great outdoors gear swindle engulfed us with hideous membranes and whatnot, hillwalkers in the British Isles wore what they had to hand, and that may have meant wearing a raincoat if wet — perhaps even a trenchcoat. Others may have photos proving this assertion.

Think Wainwright.

H.Johnson said:
I have just acquired (for 7 GBP) a mint example of a felt British bush hat, like the wartime pattern, but with a (very feint) 1946 date. This is the first one I have seen, and previously I had assumed (with others, I suspect) that the (JG) 1944 pattern was the only issue until the (KD) 1950 pattern came along.

I am pleased to be proved wrong. How exciting is that?

I would be extremely interested in seeing this, HJ. Maybe next time you're sarf-wards??? I have an example, myself (5 GBP) which i am convinced is earlier than the one you mention, but would be worth a comparison. It's JG.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn