Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Gijoe

A-List Customer
Last Week in the mountains.
- German Panzer Trousers
- Pendleton Wool Shirt
- Swedish Army Boots

1930s-50s Ski Trousers are the best option for Mountain Adventures.

for me there is two types outdoor wear.
Very stylish like a english Lord...that is not very comfortable and sometimes dangerous, or fewer stylish, but functional

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
You look very smart GIJoe.

You are right I guess, Tweeds are a bit hard going, however, they do blend in to the countryside, depending on the tweed and time of the year.

Are the trousers very roomy? if you know what I mean, for when you have to climb over something or strech you legs quite wide? I wear breeks but have been thinking of adapting a pair of trousers similar to yours. But seeing your outfit I may settle for the trousers as they are.

KR

Gijoe

A-List Customer
The Panzertrousers are high waistetd and have enough room . Also for climbing !
Last Weeks i found a few pics from english Gentlemens in the Mountains.
http://maxminimus.blogspot.com/2009/04/savile-row-meets-mt-everest.html
Some wear Norfolk Jackets and "plus fours".
I was in Summer in "plus fours" in the Mountains,it was o,k but not as well as with the ski trousers. The socks slips a bit !

We can make a simple test.
Pulls a Tweed Jacket on and keeps the hands high over the head, make the same with a thick Wool sweater...........

Creeping Past

One Too Many
The 'Norfolk jacket look', as seen in the famous Mallory photos, was the form of dress chosen for wearing around camp, not for climbing. Until the rediscovery of Mallory's body and subsequent recreation of his clothing and kit, people mistakenly assumed he climbed in tweeds. That's not so.

Some Mallory links: here, here and here.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Gijoe...

Lookin' good!

Can you give us more detailed info on your clothes. As an avid hiker, I'm really interested in what kind of boots you're wearing.

Thanks!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Got My Answer...

WWII Impressions Russet Service Shoes.
Gonna check'em out and see if I can dig up enough shekels to purchase...

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Hello C.P.,

Did you read " Mallory Myths and Mysteries. the Mallory Clothing Replica Project" by Mr. Parsons and Mrs. Rose? Very nice booklet, I got a copy at www.thebmc.co.uk/
Creeping Past said:
The 'Norfolk jacket look', as seen in the famous Mallory photos, was the form of dress chosen for wearing around camp, not for climbing. Until the rediscovery of Mallory's body and subsequent recreation of his clothing and kit, people mistakenly assumed he climbed in tweeds. That's not so.

Some Mallory links: here, here and here.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Thanks, Mose, I'd not seen that before. I was following the story as it developed, from the discovery of the body to the reinvention of the clothing. A very interesting process. The rediscovery and reproduction of the 'pivot sleeve', in particular, caused great interest here and elsewhere.

I've read Parsons' and Rose's Invisible on Everest, which has been discussed extensively on FL before (in the "Historical hillwalking" thread in "Golden Era").

Are you a user of old-style hiking gear, Mose? I use some. My weak point, apart from being all-round generally unfit for purpose, is my feet. I've yet to find a pair of ready-to-wear leather boots that I can use on the hills for long periods. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Gijoe said:
The Panzertrousers are high waistetd and have enough room . Also for climbing !
Last Weeks i found a few pics from english Gentlemens in the Mountains.

Some wear Norfolk Jackets and "plus fours".
I was in Summer in "plus fours" in the Mountains,it was o,k but not as well as with the ski trousers. The socks slips a bit !

We can make a simple test.
Pulls a Tweed Jacket on and keeps the hands high over the head, make the same with a thick Wool sweater...........
QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Gijoe,You have convinced me to try the trousers, hope I look as smart as you.

You look much better in the panzertrousers IMHO, somehow more suited to the Alps too:) not that you look bad in the tweeds, but you have convinced me with 1940-50 ski trousers, that's the future my friend.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Ditto...

I've yet to find a pair of ready-to-wear leather boots that I can use on the hills for long periods. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Although, after Gijoe's posts, I'm curious to try the russet service shoes.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
B.T. Yep, that's how I found the booklet, and the Invisble on Everest, too.

Hello again, Mr. Past. No, I'm more of an urban explorer.There's not that many hills to walk in the Netherlands, but the weather can be harsh and I have a passion for old bicycles so I'm putting a sort of historical all-weather cyclotourist get-up together. Basically the same things you'd need for walking except I don't know the podiatric equivalent of a Brooks saddle. I've got a nice boot collection going but I couldn't really comment on comfort for weak feet. I know the Trickers and especially the White's boots I've got give me plenty support. The high heel and arched soles are really easy on my back. White's do a M.T.M. service for little or no extra money. I think they do Vibram soles as well.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
I've yet to find a pair of ready-to-wear leather boots that I can use on the hills for long periods. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Hello C.P.

Brasher hillmasters. You may have tried these already, while not vintage, they have some old fashioned quality to them, rather than the ultra modern boots these days.

My pair have lasted 10 years, sadly I need a new pair and have been a trusy pair of boots. They stood up quite well on a 12 day trek in Sumatra, Indonesia, where it was quite humind and hot. I live in an area full of flint and it nick's the leather somewhat but after a good clean and spreading of dubbing, they have held up very well.

Hillmaster_GTX_Mens_Brown.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Thanks, Mr G. I've had pairs of those Brasher boots in the past. Very comfy. But I'm hard on boots and the soles wear away to nothing quite rapidly on me.

Thanks for that, Mose. I didn't spot your location. I'm originally from eastern England, so I know all about flat, reclaimed landscapes. Very good cycling country, but not so good for the vertical explorer. If you were to start a special thread on historical cyclotouring I'm sure you'd catch a lot of interested readers.

My current vintagey hiking boots are Alfred Sargeants, leather and rubber soled versions of their veldtschoen style, but they've never broken in satisfactorily. I've had a couple of pairs of Trickers shoes in the past year and they're very good. I've been thinking of going for a pair of their boots and seeing if I can get them nailed up properly.

I'm interested in White's, but they've no retailer in the UK that I know of. My experience of buying footwear on the internet is not good, especially with customs and postage charges...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy