Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You may also look at his repro M1938 legging. They are as just about as tall as the one in the photo you supplied. They are just a bit different in their manufacturing. But dang close. All The repro leggings are also better constructed for 21st century calves!!! An added bonus!

I can use all the "added bonus" I can get. :)

Renault

One Too Many
Those leggings were used way up thru the Philippine campaign. U.S. equipment was issued, re-issued, and re-issued again!!! Especially this time period. And especially with state troops and NG. So it was t out of the ordinary.

See!!!

Philippines^^^

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
I don't know I'f they are MJ? There was discussion on another forum concerning the leggings. If I remember correctly it was they were not producing them anymore. There was some issue mentioned and I just can't remember what it was. This started a whole new conversation on WPG possibly producing them. That was if Jerry could acquire a decent original pair for a pattern. It's been a while and Ive slept since then. But this, I think, was the crux of it all.

Might not hurt to check with them again? I dunno?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Worth a check with them, anyway. Jerry's leggings are excellent, though. I have an original pair of M1908 leggings and a pair of his repros. Absolutely spot on. I can't say that for everything they make; I had to return his WWII cotton enlisted trousers because the legs twisted up so bad they were unwearable, let alone work for a military impression.

On another note, has anyone had any experience with the Span-Am era campaign hat offered by the quartermaster Depot?

http://www.quartermasterdepot.com/1889-campaign-hat-p-49.html

Again, it looks good, but no mention of whether is is fur felt, a blend, or wool. I suspect the latter, but who knows, maybe they got a good deal on a nutria felt or something.

Big Man

Is Coon Creek still in business? Their website is up, but last updated in 2011. They carry a set of Span-Am leggings that look good, but I've never had any experience with their stuff.

http://www.cooncreekoldwest.com/coon_html/Leggings.html

I know their Span-Am enlisted shirt is not accurate, being cotton, but I'd order anyway...if they made them in tall.

Thanks for the link. I sent them an e-mail asking about the leggings they offer. We'll see what they have to say.

Big Man

Thanks for the link. I sent them an e-mail asking about the leggings they offer. We'll see what they have to say.

Well, they must still be in business. I sent them an e-mail asking about their leggins and received a reply within about five minutes.

Renault

One Too Many
I went back and searched for the discussion on the leggings on the other forum I mentioned above. All the posters had mentioned was the Coon Creek leggings were not up to his standard for his impression. But they were just fine for a CAS impression or just wearing in the woods type deal. Other posters agreed with him.
I've never seen a pair in person so I can't say. But I imagine for hunting etc, they would be just fine.

Big Man

This thread has inspired me to work on putting some things together. This is a start. Maybe one day I can get it all together for a true adventurer.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
If I were a Rough Rider, I'd have to ride a Clydesdale. [huh]

Remember, the only Rough Rider on horse back at Kettle and San Juan hill was TR. So you are just fine. I do like seeing the Spanish American War getting some respect.

Big Man

ou can Adventure with style now. Hey, you had an amazing adventure with your granddaughter climbing that mountain, it is one she will remember always maybe more so if you undertaken your outings with your gear, minus the rifle I guess!.

We were out hiking the other day and saw someone on the cliffs high above us, but too far away to make out who it was. Later that evening after we had returned home, I got a message from someone on another forum I visit saying he saw me on Shortoff earlier in the day. He said, " I knew it was you because of the hat."

Most likely he knew it was me because I'm 6'-6" and 360 lbs, AND always wear a hat. Makes me kind of hard to miss - even at a distance. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21