Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Thanks for the review. I'd like it as a travel jacket for hours upon hours in a plane and to throw a tie on with it when I need to look presentable. I have an Orvis Rhinohide travel jacket that is a little heavy/cumbersome. I also don't think it's dressy enough for a tie so I end up packing a blazer, too. Does it resist/shed wrinkles pretty readily (assuming one doesn't wash it)?

TM

A-List Customer
Here’s what another explorer wore in 1909 while walking across western China. This is Edwin J. Dingle, and English reporter who became intrigued by unexplored central China. So he spent a few years trekking about, unconcerned that he could not understand a single word of the many languages spoken there. He published his adventures in “Across China On Foot” in 1911.

dingle.jpg

Tony

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Does it resist/shed wrinkles pretty readily (assuming one doesn't wash it)?[/QUOTE]

You will be suitably messy. If your shirt is neat and unwrinkled, and you use a knit tie, and your slacks are perma pressed or very good quality light wool, you can get away with having and wearing a wrinkled jacket.
Buff us those shoes as well, and all can kiss any part of you you feel strongly enough to suggest that they kiss.lol

It is EXCELLENT for airport waiting and untold hours being abused by the airlines. Some Slim Jims or beef jerky stuffed in the inside pockets and you are good to go, being put upon at any major U.S.airdrome. (and most minor one, too.)

Geeze!! Check the price!
I sent forth twice the amount. What can you lose. At that price you can afford the cleaners once in a while.;) Buy the damned thing. You will not be sorry.
It is less than the cost of a half decent italian dinner at a mediocre shop.lol

Mark G

A-List Customer
Well, you guys got me, I had to order one too. Couldn't resist the price and I've been looking for something like this to travel in for some time.

eightbore

Suspended
OK, how about some reasonably priced adventure gear!

WOW, the more I look at some of the safari gear for sale in the US, the more I think I need to go into that business! If an item screams Africa or represents an accessory for a double rifle, the profit margins get absolutely amazing! I particularly love fact that campaign chairs are running between $500 and $700 each?!?!? When you think about what campaign furniture was actually designed and used for historically, this is a little strange, no?

Anyway, I ran across a really nice site selling reasonably priced safari wear and thought I should share it. The problem is, it's in Africa and people in the US would need to order as a group to really exploit the lower price and save on shipping. Here's the site....

http://www.npbcontrust.co.za/khaki-drill.htm

The above gear is actually made by these folks....
http://www.supplycompany.co.za/

Now, Supply Company is the actual manufacturer for the stuff being sold in the US by Long Grass Outfitters who seems to mark the stuff up 120%. That said, $45 for a shirt from them isn't all that outrageous but why spend it when you can order from the conservation trust for $20? Also, I think you will in fact have to order from Conservation Trust as Supply Company will likely refuse in order to protect Long Grass Outfitters business.

Hope people find this info helpful.

Best,

eightbore

p.s. This is obviously my first post and let me say that I absolutely love this site and plan to stick around for a long long time. Cheers!

As promised for a long time, here are my British Army tropical issue shorts. These are post-war, and sourced by our very own Alan Eardley.

1950 pattern with the cross-over belts waist closure. I vowed i'd never wear these until i could get onto the second notch of the belts. Well, that day has arrived!

1950PatternShorts1.jpg

rear 2 pockets

1950PatternShorts2.jpg

The left waistband belt.

1950PatternShorts3.jpg

Buckle (this photo from the 1950 pattern trousers i own, but the same on the shorts)

1950Pattern3.jpg

1957 pattern, a reversion to the mid war wide waistband and belt loops. 2 pairs of these, once more sourced by Alan.

1957PatternShorts1.jpg

And finally some i found myself. In Twinkled, off Carnaby Street. A probably 1950s pair of non-miltary sports shorts. With belt! made by Bukta Sportswear "Rigmel" shrunk.

Shorts1.jpg

Alan can tell you (and me) about the shirt. It came from him, too. And those are my recently thrifted R M Williams boots

bk

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
If you're ever at High St. Ken., go up Ken Church St.(I think) and check out the Op' shops- I scored an unused pair of Tony Mora Engineer boots for £20.
Also Notting Hill Op' shops. Posh areas- posh junk.

Nice Khakis- proper shorts... none of this Ghurka gobbledigook.

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BK

You look great in the shorts! The original 1950s fit comes as standard. Note waistbands on both types of KDs - the 'repros' never quite capture that. Those are Size 1, (28") for fit young things like you. I take Size 2 (30"), for middle-aged blimps.

The shirt is a British 1950s jungle shirt. Nice, ain't it?

Alan

Baron Kurtz said:
These ones are Ghurka-sized, i can tell you. Whew, they pinch the waist, and that ain't no joke!

bk

Cobden

Practically Family
Here's a pair of prewar Army officers, or wartime RN, shorts:

shorts002.jpg

shorts001.jpg

In the pre war fashion, I have starch the Bejesus out of them!

I would wear them, and have a photo taken, but

1) It's 0830 here
2) My knee license has yet to be approved

Cobden

Practically Family
I think they're almost identical, especially the officers one's. The Ratings seem to have had double front buckles, like the army.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace