Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BK

This is exciting - something very rare...a bit like discovering a new dinosaur! That pattern (x-belts and buttoned belt loops) is how the later jungle green (long) trousers were. No-one I have spoken to recalls seeing the equivalent pattern in shorts. If it says 'shorts' on the labels, it would prove conclusively that they were not cut-down trousers (there used to be problems with wear at the knees) and add something to what we know. Go forth and investigate on all our behalves! (Can you say 'behalves'?)

Frustratingly, I have lent out my copy of 'Khaki Drill and Jungle Green' (the definitive reference to British Army warm weather clothing of the period) so I won't be able to check on this until I get it back.

Alan

Baron Kurtz said:
Interestingly Alan, I have a memory forming of one of the pairs having cross over belts AND buttoned belt loops.

I think most had maker's marks.

bk

Okay, the shorts marked "Ghurkas" - which i will nip back tomorrow and pick up a pair - have no cross over belts or belt loops. They are 1950 pattern.

It looks like the shorts with cross-over belts and belt loops are NATO issue. One pair says so, the other pair does not. Maybe i should pick these up just so i can document them properly. They're cheap as hell.

All except the "Ghurka" (should we be dropping the inverted commas? :eek: ) marked ones are 34 waist.

There is, on the same shelf, a pair of black leather self-belted German short shorts with mid-war type ZIPP and RiRi zippers. The pockets and hems are grey leather and the side seams are split and laced for about 2" from the hem. Fetish interest anyone? 34" waist.

bk

Mike K.

One Too Many
A few free gifts...

Found these old luggage decals and thought y'all might want some copies.
Just print onto whatever adhesive label size you wish and stick 'em on that vintage suitcase.
Enjoy!!
sp2150.jpg

js4034.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Good research.BK.

Yes, I think that for genuine Ghurka items we can say Ghurka.

For ordinary British Army issue items (or copies thereof) that some unscrupulous vendors are seeking to make more attractive by association with the Ghurkas I suggest we carry on using 'Ghurka'.

On this scale these from Michael Kors are ''''''''Ghurka''''''''' shorts, by the way.
http://www.marissacollections.com/marissa/product.asp?s_id=0&pf_id=PAOHADECELOHFOFA

When you say 'NATO issue' do you mean that it says 'issue' on the label or that they have a NATO stock number?

Alan

Baron Kurtz said:
Okay, the shorts marked "Ghurkas" - which i will nip back tomorrow and pick up a pair - have no cross over belts or belt loops. They are 1950 pattern.

It looks like the shorts with cross-over belts and belt loops are NATO issue. One pair says so, the other pair does not. Maybe i should pick these up just so i can document them properly. They're cheap as hell.

All except the "Ghurka" (should we be dropping the inverted commas? :eek: ) marked ones are 34 waist.

There is, on the same shelf, a pair of black leather self-belted German short shorts with mid-war type ZIPP and RiRi zippers. The pockets and hems are grey leather and the side seams are split and laced for about 2" from the hem. Fetish interest anyone? 34" waist.

bk

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
I think it says 'NATO stock number'.

bk

BK,

That dates it - after a certain date (which I have noted somewhere) MOD issue stuff had to have a NATO stock number. It doesn't mean it was used by other NATO forces, by the way.

Alan

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mike K. said:
Found these old luggage decals and thought y'all might want some copies.
Just print onto whatever adhesive label size you wish and stick 'em on that vintage suitcase.
Enjoy!!
sp2150.jpg

js4034.jpg

I have had a drink in the Norfolk chaps ...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Cross-belted shorts

I have just received a pair of unissued British Army late-model cross-belted olive shorts from Baron Kurtz and I can say that they are splendid - and only 20 GBP even at London prices. The great thing about British military kit is that they don't change it much. These shorts are in the 1950 pattern but were produced in 1999! See above for a few pictures of KD 1950 pattern shorts from the 1960s

Thanks, Baron!

Alan

Speedster

Practically Family
Cool vest BT. In Canvas Duck? Is this going to be part of your human candle outfit with pinetar dressing?

And then there is that shirt again.... Have you tried to get the manufacturers name out of the German vendor? Since he is not getting his stuff from Central Europe anymore maybe he would reveal it to you? Could be useful for your product-range-to-come-sometime-in-the-future...

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BT, that vest is excellent! That is exactly the sort of vest I search for constantly. It has a good blend of functional pockets without going over the top into photojournalist territory. I wear vests a lot in the field, and have to have at hand my compass, maps, field notebook, pencil, pen, Sharpie, and GPS, and sometimes a few other items, such as a camera, photo scale, loupe, etc. I find that these sorts of vests work perfectly for that. The cartridge loops work great as pen pockets (a .600 nitro express round being about the same size as a Sharpie!), and the lower pockets look perfectly sized for a field notebook. The drawbacks to most available currently, though, in addition to the proliferation of pockets, is that they have zippers. I hate zippers! I also like that your vest has the square bottom. Most vests have too much of a cowboy feel to them when they have the notched bottom.

I hope you've acquired this item to add it as a candidate for your forthcoming line!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Funny thing...

Mojave Jack said:
BT, that vest is excellent!
That is exactly the sort of vest I search for constantly.

Jack-
the surprise is, that it's Polo, Ralph Lauren.
Brand new, with the tags. $30-something on the eeBway.

I forgot to mention, it has a full-width poacher's pocket in back.

Polo!
And it looks vintage. Even hs designer dirt and stains!

"Maine" Canvas Vest.

B
T

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Jack-
the surprise is, that it's Polo, Ralph Lauren.
Brand new, with the tags. $30-something on the eeBway.

I forgot to mention, it has a full-width poacher's pocket in back.

Polo!
And it looks vintage. Even hs designer dirt and stains!

"Maine" Canvas Vest.

B
T
Nicely done! The poacher's pocket can be quite handy in the field also, especially for larger maps, a sweater, or something like that. Great find! I have a couple things from RL that are pretty decent. I have a linen jacket from RL that's almost a dead ringer for an A-1, except that it has a flapped breast pocket and it zips. I'll have to add RL to my typical search terms!

BTW, did I miss the discussion on that shirt? Love that half-front pullover style, of course.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I look at Filson and find that they are function without form- no style at all...
Utilitarian with no character at all.
I only bought the RL vest because of the vintage styling.

Jack, that shirt is the same ole, same ole.
From way back- my mannequin wears it every day.

Jack- find me a smaller one(this one's XL, a little large) and you can take this one. Keep yer eyes open on the eEb.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails