Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone tried to use the U.S. paratrooper M42 jacket as a bush jacket? It has an American taste to it while remaining very dashing.

M42.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
DAK Shirt

BellyTank said:
Here's my vintage inspired Adventuring jacket, accessorised.
This jacket, I think, is the highlight of my Adventuring gear.

DSCN4531.jpg

DSCN4529.jpg

Repro DAK shirt, green polk-dot silk long as a neckerchief, vintage canvas shoulder bag, '30s 35mm camera
and very vintage leather army belt.

Jacket has been updated with old British Army Batchelor (removable)buttons.

B
T

Any link to those BT?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The vendor I got this shirt and several others from no longer has them.
They're better in the details than others that I see currently.

Try OFAS:
collectibles/militaria/original items/germany/uniforms.... and try "shirt"

Surprisingly, looking under repros yielded only one result.
All the repros are under "original items"... hehe..

Don't think I'm supposed to put a direct link...

Most have non-era-correct collar shapes, dodgy cloth/colour and ugly pockets/flaps.
Note the collar on my example- it has a good period look- long point and a back curve,
giving a not-too-fat shape and nice proportion, the others look too chubby, '70s-ish
due to a straight side and bad shape.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
Rooster, I've been waiting in line for that jacket since April. I've even tried the prototype :D

Glad you liked it Speedster.

Sorry if I have caused interest prematurely- I'm in no great rush. All I need is the right,
European manufacturer. I will only proceed when all is well and suits me.
Of course, I don't have the clout of a big business, don't wish to invest much cash, don't have the need for large production.
I have had a few false starts but no money wasted.
The things I have made, I can wear and I enjoy the process- it's my hobby.
Price is the major consideration, when manufacturing over here,
rather than over there. People will always ask and I don't want to be like others and have to lie to defend myself.
If someone else can duplicate my efforts, with the same passion, level of research and detail oriented design
and make a go of it, then good luck to them. I will not rush into this and limit my vision.
The genre of items I am producing is not necessarily so clearly defined as other vintage clothing and repro militaria.

I have noticed many WW2 gear vendors, in the UK, Europe and the US selling China and HK
(and Indian/Pakistan)made goods and denying that they are not respective, domestic produce.
But the trained eye can see that they are what they are- even using some of the original vendor's photos.
There must be something fraudulent there.

To the interested few, with respect, don't hold your respective breaths but don't forget...

B
T

Corto

A-List Customer
Rooster said:
Nothing more usefull than a bush jacket. I wear my repro from WPG just about every day.
MikeFriends.jpg

Do you have any more photos of you in that Bush Jacket?
I'm considering buying one from WPG and they don't have any photos on their website.

Mike K.

One Too Many
For the ultimate safari aficionado...

I just discovered my ultimate home decor collection - the Ernest Hemingway Collection from Thomasville Furniture. It's a bit pricey, but then again so is just about everything else I seem to like. The "Big Five Bar" is my absolute favorite, but would set the bank account back about four grand.
Here's a link to the website: http://www.thomasville.com/Collection101/Ernest-Hemingway.aspx
36792_930_350.jpg
36792_227_350.jpg
1214_15_DET_350.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
I just discovered my ultimate home decor collection - the Ernest Hemingway Collection from Thomasville Furniture. It's a bit pricey, but then again so is just about everything else I seem to like. The "Big Five Bar" is my absolute favorite, but would set the bank account back about four grand.
Mike, you and Nick Charles are going to cost me a fortune with your recommendations! Must...not...buy...more...stuff...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mike K. said:
Here's a link to the website: http://www.thomasville.com/Collection101/Ernest-Hemingway.aspx
36792_930_350.jpg
36792_227_350.jpg
1214_15_DET_350.jpg

Love it - escapism - there should be more of it!:eusa_clap

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Mike K. said:
They have a great looking Bogart collection too. There are a couple of threads on both floating around the Lounge someplace.

Edit:

Link to the Bogart collection:
http://www.thomasville.com/Collectio...gart-Luxe.aspx

Here’s the link to those other threads:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthrea...ht=thomasville

Gents. Upon my travels yesterday, the worst vintage shop in the world has got in a stock of:

"Shorts Drill green Ghurkas (dinna shoot the messenger. That's what it says on the label. But these are ones without the cross-over belts. Crivens!)
Sz6
31-32 Waist
40-41 Seat
made 1962 to the '57 pattern"
War dept stamp.

Shorts Olive Drab (these ones are the cross over belt type)
Size 2

Shorts Olive Drab
Size 4

All 20 GBP each. There's also an amazing US Army uniform jacket. Hand tailored, taped seams, with a piece of purple elastic across the back inside.

bk

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baron,

Thanks for this - it's interesting! The first item sound like the jungle (i.e. OD rather than KD) shorts made after the 1950 (cross-over belt pattern). Buttoned belt loops I take it? They are comparatively rare as 'jungle' uniforms usually featured long trousers (leeches and all, I suppose). They would have been standard issue to Ghurka regiments stationed in Hong Kong and deployed in e.g. SE Asia during the various insurgencies of the 60s. I've never seen the word 'Ghurka' on the label before...

The second item is rare! I would advise an immediate purchase if in good condition, if you are near the shop again. If you ever see the long trouser version, I advise two immediate purchases!

Are there manufacturers' names on any of these?

Alan

Baron Kurtz said:
Gents. Upon my travels yesterday, the worst vintage shop in the world has got in a stock of:

"Shorts Drill green Ghurkas (dinna shoot the messenger. That's what it says on the label. But these are ones without the cross-over belts. Crivens!)
Sz6
31-32 Waist
40-41 Seat
made 1962 to the '57 pattern"
War dept stamp.

Shorts Olive Drab (these ones are the cross over belt type)
Size 2

Shorts Olive Drab
Size 4

All 20 GBP each. There's also an amazing US Army uniform jacket. Hand tailored, taped seams, with a piece of purple elastic across the back inside.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn