Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mr. Godfrey said:
Hello Chaps,

I have bought a Akubra Safari hat, "Styled like the safari hats of old but with a modern flair" It's my first felt hat and I am really pleased with it

Took three months of waiting for it to arrive but I have brought it along to Indonesia with me to shade me from the sun. Or rain! (Out here working)

It needs to have a bit of a bashing to make it more of an adventures hat and I am working on it. I lost the hat feather on some aircraft flying around here.

I have also just got a chin strap from Perth to sew into it, the hat's the next size up rather than a tight fit (odd head shape). The chin strap would help with the windy weather.

So I have two questions?

1) Have any of you experiance on this style of hat and is it any good?

2) Is the chin starp a good idea or have you had bad examples of one?

Before I sew it in.

Regards
Mr. Godfrey

shopexd.asp
Mr Godfrey, I think those are excellent hats. I debated between the Safari and the Riverina, and went with the Riverina because of the fantastic deal at Outback Outlet. This is my third Akubra, and they are all great hats.

The chin strap can be very handy. I use the one on my Akubra bush hat quite a bit around here, where it can get very windy. It's not necessary to have it cinced down tightly to be effective, and sure beats chasing my hat down. There are a couple ways to attach a chin strap, depending on if you want it to be removable or not. Here's one method for Akubras from the David Morgan site. This tutorial is for use with their Australian bush hat issue chinstrap:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/chinstrap.html?keywords=attach a chin strap&

You can also use the method for the stampede string, which uses a cotter pin. THat's a new method to me, and I don't have any experience with them, but you can read a little about them in the "Trip to Egypt in April 2008 - Felt or straw?" thread in the Hats forum. Some folks there recommend them as an easy solution to putting on a chin strap.

Hope that's helpful! Incidentally, where are the pics of this Safari?! Looking forward to seeing the hat itself, with or without the chinstrap!

Yorker said:
I don't know when the official transition to the Montana peak was? ~1910 the old style was still in use at Canp Perry:
Ah, Camp Perry! I have many memories of that place, particularly trying to shoot for score with the wind coming right off Lake Erie at about 25 knots. Talk about windage adjustments! (Still shot expert, mind you, just had to work harder at it!)

Thos epics look great! Can you post slightly larger ones or links to larger ones? I'd like to see the detail. I'm not sure whent he changeover occurred, but I'd be willing to bet that there was a period of a couple years when either could be worn. Are these guys Guard or Reserves? If so, they may have retained the older style campaign hat a little longer than active units, too.

Mike K.

One Too Many
First off, Akubra makes outstanding hats. Second, the stampede string w/cotter pin that Jack mentioned is definitely the way to go. The pin itself is small, much smaller than the local hardware store variety, and usually comes with the stampede string. The pins are inserted between stitching on the sweatband, then spread open to hold in place. They are easily removed and do not cause any damage to the hat (unlike stitched-in ones). I've seen some Akubras that actually have small attachment points already in the sweatband for the chinstrap. I plan on picking up (or making) a stampede string for my safari hat. Seems that flying through the backcountry swamps of Florida at 20mph on an ATV blows my hat off...go figure.[huh] :D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Yes, definitely let us see the results! I'm debating the Stampede String option, though I prefer the issue bush hat chinstrap. I'd be interested in your experiences.

In the meantime, here's my brand new Riverina, delivered by Santa on Monday afternoon. Oddly, Santa was wearing brown shorts and brown shirt and driving a brown truck. Guess the whole reindeer thing is passe.

Pc265149.jpg

Pc265151.jpg

RiverinaFrontView.jpg

The pug is from my Eddie Bauer Akubra, and is temporary until I make my own. I like it the way it is, though, so no hurry for the new pug. I had to change the band out right away, since a co-worker thought it was a pretty good deal and got the exact same hat. To avoid the obvious inferences, I went ahead and pulled off the braided band post haste, and threw this pug on. It fits so well, I may just get another pug for my Eddie Bauer Akubra! lol

Like Alan, I deepened the pinch a bit. I also spent a bit of time crumpling it up and straightening it back out again, and it softened up wonderfully.

Mike, the color is absolutely perfect. Alan's photo looked a bit brown on my monitor, but there is a greenish tint to it in person. The fit is incredible, and this has taken the front seat for all daily wear.

Bigfeet

New in Town
Indy Magnoli said:
Not sure if I've already posted these to this thread (at 65 pages, it's hard to keep track), but these are some full-lacers I made for someone tramping through the Amazon:

mc-explorer-lg1.jpg

They were requested with lug soles, but could easily be made with flat soles for a more traditional look.

And, of course, there is always my version of the traditional field boot:

mc-fieldboot-lg1.jpg

Kind regards,
Indy

Indy,
What is the largest size you make, and how can someone get in touch with you? I tried to send a PM but it seems that I can not.

Thanks,
Bigfeet

Mike K.

One Too Many
Well Jack, I think you and I ended up with the same hat. My computer monitor also showed it as being more brown, but if it has a greenish hue then I'd say it's the same. Darn, I could've saved some cash had I known long ago. I love that pug you added! Hmmm, should I purchase another and try some other hat band options? :rolleyes:

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jack, it looks great! Uniquely yours with that pug. Akubra really ought to sell the Riverina like that, but I guess it's better for us that they don't.

Mike, of course you should. :D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thanks, guys! Mike gets the credit, though, for tracking down the definitive hat. It's perfectly suited to my line of work, not to mention the climate here. I've been wearing my Hardeman fedora, which is a pretty casual fedora, but nonetheless a little too formal for where I work. The snap brim doesn't really do much to protect my neck from the sun, either!

Mike, you made the right choice! You'll never seen that good a price again, and it's always good to have a spare! I'll be curious as to how the color compares to your original, too. Meanwhile, I have to explain yet another hat to the wife when she gets home tomorrow!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Good job. ;)

Now you can answer whether or not the hat we have is the same color as your initial Riverina. I think your money is certainly worth solving that riddle.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
These lace all the way up and are not quite knee high. Bottom half is eyelets, top is hooks.
They are ladies boots (I'm pretty sure from their diminutive scale), and I THINK maybe about 1930's? They are in remarkable condition. In fact, there's nary a flaw or scrape outside the slight sole scuffing. That scuffing is just enough to obscure the maker's mark, and they are not marked anywhere else except for a series of numbers printed inside each, twice, near the top (all numbers are the same). They certainly have an A&F feel to them, or maybe early Bean.
They're well made - may have even been custom. What do you think? Boots for a lady to go shooting? The heel is too high for riding. Thoughts?

IMG_6685.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
scotrace said:
These lace all the way up and are not quite knee high. Bottom half is eyelets, top is hooks.
They are ladies boots (I'm pretty sure from their diminutive scale), and I THINK maybe about 1930's? They are in remarkable condition. In fact, there's nary a flaw or scrape outside the slight sole scuffing. That scuffing is just enough to obscure the maker's mark, and they are not marked anywhere else except for a series of numbers printed inside each, twice, ear the top (all numbers are the same). They certainly have an A&F feel to them, or maybe early Bean.
They're well made - may have even been custom. What do you think? Boots for a lady to go shooting? The heel is too high for riding. Thoughts?
They look great, Scott! That plaid wool skirt looks like the perfect compliment, too. To me, tall boots, long skirt, white blouse, and a hacking jacket is one of the most attractive outfits a woman can wear.

carter

I'll Lock Up
That's a terrific pair of ladies boots. From the comments so far, it appears an entire wardrobe may be assembled around such iconic footwear. Gifts for years to come. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn