Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

rumblefish

One Too Many
LordJohnRoxton said:
Very good point! I'm looking at the 8x56mmR version... not quite certain about availability of the ammunition at present....
I believe the 7.62x54 Russian can be sized to 8x56R, dies probably can still be found.

Keep us posted!

Story

I'll Lock Up
LordJohnRoxton said:
I'm thinking of picking up a Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 this weekend. My weapons apparently need to be vintage ;) Does anybody have any opinions on that particular weapon?

Current prices on the carbines are still bargains, as they are generally in arsenal-refinished condition and the only work required is a detailed stripping-and-cleaning. On many, the actions are just machine-slick and feel like a bank vault door.

The 8x56R RECOIL is stiff in the carbine, to be polite.

Surplus ammunition used to be direct cheap, now it's not. The M95 magazine also requires stripper clips, which can be pricey.

Ball, w/ stripper clips
http://www.impactguns.com/store/steyr_8x56r_ammo.html
Hunting rounds, no strippers
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0037464215974a.shtml

A potential long-term project is to use the action as the basis of a sporter, with a different caliber barrel and perhaps magazine.

To keep this On-Topic, the Italians inheritted several hundred thousands M95s (in different configurations) after WWI and shipped them to East Africa, as part of Mussolini's "One Million Bayonets" program. We all know how that turned out. lol

After Italians surrendered Addis Ababa in 1941, the Commonwealth collected up what weaponry they could for re-issue. However, the 'shifta' (bandits) and 'patriots' (pro- Halle Selassie rebels) kept whatever they could get their hands on. Good chance that your standard Bad Guy in a post-WWII Safari movie would be toting around a Steyr (or Carcano or Mauser).
http://history.farmersboys.com/Battle_Honours/eritrea.htm
(The height of post-war Eritrean bandit fashion. Note the swanky head-turbans)
eritre9.jpg

Read up on the Steyr straight-pulls here
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=30&sid=6cf762ca557e91efd0d624907ed5ce8b

Moison Nagants and 7.62x54R are cheap, but they're generally not as nice as the Steyrs.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
My Barbour Washed Twill Trooper came! I have never been so happy with a jacket. This jacket is tough, stylish, and so well-tailored. The fit is perfect. It's such a well-designed jacket that I could wear it classically or with a modern twist.

Plus, it is perfect for the field. It has huge pockets, zips up the front with a heavy brass zipper, and has buttons; so you don't need the zip. It has a semi-detached half-lining. I think the tailored jacket is an advantage in the field; none of that extra fabric to get caught on things.

I will post photos when I can. I cannot wait to wear this thing in May in Italy!
Hey, Jones! Where are those pics?! ;)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Welcome back Baggers!

I like that jacket too. Actually there's a short-sleeve version that is also made. I was wondering what would be better - the vest or the short-sleeve jacket made into a vest. What do you all think?

Here's the short-sleeve jacket. Picture it without any sleeves.
By the way, MidwayUSA has much better prices than anyone else on these items!

highresimage.jpg
highresimage_2.jpg

For the lady adventurers, there's also one made for you!

5302311.gif

This was lifted off another site so never mind the custom embroidery.

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave, Mike, thanks for the welcome. I've been missing this place. As for my absence, I've been lurking, but haven't had much time to participate in the conversation. Things are easing up, so I should be able to get back into the game.

I went to MidwayUSA, and you're right, Mike, the prices there are unbelievable compared to Boyt. I'm leaning towards the short sleeve bush jacket, but the sleeves look cavernous. They look as if they have an underarm gusset that the long sleeve version doesn't seem to have. Also, the take up tabs seem totally superfluous on something that already has short sleeves. I do like the waist adjusting tabs, though. I'll sleep on it and decide in the morning.

I also have a question regarding which repro of the M1883 campaign hat I should get, but I'll post over in the Hats Section and see if Deanglen notices.

Cheers!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Baggers said:
Also, the take up tabs seem totally superfluous on something that already has short sleeves. I do like the waist adjusting tabs, though.
Yep, I agree. Maybe those sleeve tabs are meant to attach to the epaulette in order to turn the whole think into a tank top. lol
I wish the vest had the waist tabs too (it's probably the one I'll go with).

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I don't know, Mike, that jacket would make an excellent vest, and with a price difference of only $9, the top pockets and waist adjustment tabs, plus the inside pocket, might be worth it. Of course, you'd have to factor in the cost of having the sleeves removed, unless you can do it yourself (which I could, I suppose, but not very well! lol). I've been watching for a decent jacket on eBay that I could truncate into a vest, but none have all the features of the Boyt.

Baggers, I hope some of your lurking has been in my Marine Corps Campaign Hat thread! (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=535213#post535213#cbfg535213) The hat I started with was a Resistol 3X beaver. Not a great hat, but only cost me $16 and a little work. Still trying to find the right ribbon, and I have to punch out the snowflake vet, but so far I'm pretty happy with the results. Now for that Krag .30-40....

Baggers

Practically Family
Okay, I went with the long sleeved version in khaki from MidwayUSA. At 76 bucks (including shipping and 50 cents for the NRA roundup donation) it was a steal compared to Boyt's pricing. I'll post my impressions when it arrives.

Mojave, I looked at your thread, and you've done a great job with that Resistol so far. What got me interested is that the wife and I visited Fort Davis in West Texas for the first time last week and they have a restored Army post down there. I had a chat with one of the period uniformed volunteers who was wearing a repro M1883 that he'd gotten from Limpia Creek Hat Co. right there in Fort Davis. Needless to say, after handling his, "I just had to get me of of THESE (to paraphrase Will Smith in Independence Day)" and hastened thither to fondle the sample in the shop. Discretion being the better part of valor, I didn't order one on the spot, but decided to see first what wisdom the Lounge had to offer. Of note, the ones I saw In Fort Davis had a single brass wire mesh ventilator on each side, not simple punched holes in a pattern. They also had two rows of brim stitching.

And don't get me started on Krags, I haven't got enough room in the safe for all the Enfields I already own! :D

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
LordJohnRoxton said:
Has anyone here seen the American Mountain Ski Boots put out by What Price Glory? I'm wondering if they are any good...

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/usboot.htm

I can't make any comments about his mountain boots specifically, but I have two or three of his other styles and am quite satisfied with the fit and quality, especially the officer's russet low quarters and the M1940 Mounted Boots. Jerry offers excellent value for the dollar.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav