Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Jerekson

One Too Many
At any sign of adventure, this is my typical outfit. Akubra Federation, some custom shades (made from a vintage reading pair), an old dress shirt that breathes well and sheds dirt easily, my "field khakis" with a web belt, and my vintage work boots. It's a pretty flexible outfit; often times I will go ahead and add my old Army jacket, and, depending on the situation, a machete and LED flashlight will go on the belt. A BB gun in a flap holster is also an option, for snakes or rats, etc.

Kev_portrait_38.png

Kev_portrait_39.png

Kev_scene_1.png

Boodles

A-List Customer
Originally posted by scotrace
Does anyone know of some other source for Moleskin breeks other than the pricey Orvis models?
I have had good luck with a brand called Wathen Gardiner made, I think, in England. I have both the Orvis breeks as you show in your post and a pair made by Wathen Gardiner. Except that the Orvis version is a bit larger in the waist the breeks appear the same to me. Both are 36" but the Orvis is closer to 36.5" while the Gardiner is closer to 35.75." As my Orvis version indicates made in England I could believe both have the same origin, but that is a guess. I bought the Gardiner's from a OFAS vendor from whom I'd bought a moleskin vest. As I recall the Orvis version was $125 at the time and I bought the Gardiner's for right about $75. Unfortunately it's been 2 years and I don't still have the notes to use to locate the vendor.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Jack, this one isn't waxed, it's a safari jacket with a bi-swing back and a tailored fit. It comes out on the 10th and I will be ordering it then.

That'll be a sharp jacket, indeed! I look forward to the full review...and pics, of course!

Hemingway Jones said:
I was in N Conway this weekend and I stopped in the Orvis outlet, which is nothing less than extraordinary. They truly have some high quality stuff.

Ah, Orvis. This shot bears repeating.

johnzebrachairsm.jpg

Some day...

Hemingway Jones said:
So what did I buy?

I bought a quilted Barbour jacket for $75 and a realistic stuffed life-sized cheetah for $30! lol You'll be seeing him in future photoshoots! I named him "Baby." Not too creative there!
Baby! That's classic! I would not have thought of that, I have to admit. That'll be an real conversation starter, though. You can tell visitors that you shot it in your pajamas.

Story

I'll Lock Up
of tangential interest

South Africa Allows Killing of Elephants
By CELEAN JACOBSON – 6 days ago

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) — South Africa said Monday that it will start killing elephants to reduce their burgeoning numbers, ending a 13-year ban and possibly setting a precedent for other African nations.

Environment Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk said the government was left with no choice but to reintroduce killing elephants "as a last option and under very strict conditions" to reduce environmental degradation and rising conflicts with humans.

There will be no "wholesale slaughter," he told reporters.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hUYjJJiZnA6gpuz-BtqIRWc2LQ9QD8V1ILAO0

Mike K.

One Too Many
Jerekson said:
A BB gun in a flap holster is also an option, for snakes or rats, etc.
You'll shoot your eye out kid!

Sorry couldn't resist that one. :D

By the way, that's a great shot of you on the rocks with the cityscape behind.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Story said:
South Africa Allows Killing of Elephants
By CELEAN JACOBSON – 6 days ago

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) — South Africa said Monday that it will start killing elephants to reduce their burgeoning numbers, ending a 13-year ban and possibly setting a precedent for other African nations.

Environment Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk said the government was left with no choice but to reintroduce killing elephants "as a last option and under very strict conditions" to reduce environmental degradation and rising conflicts with humans.

There will be no "wholesale slaughter," he told reporters.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hUYjJJiZnA6gpuz-BtqIRWc2LQ9QD8V1ILAO0

I'm glad to hear this. They are running amok in Angola also. They trample all kinds of banana plantations, etc. And it's not like you can chase them away either. When they get pissed, watch out!

Jerekson

One Too Many
KeyGrip said:
Not with those glasses he won't. I'd be surpirsed if the BB survived the impact.

Well, there is a reason that these are the pair I reach for at an adventure ;)

Mojave, this was a whole project I dreamed up a couple years ago and it worked out extraordinarily well. So if you want to do the same, I'd say go for it.
It's a really cool way to get a good vintage look with some level of customization, since you're picking out the frames yourself.

I got a pair of 30's or 40's reading glasses on eBay for $10.

100_7365.jpg

I took them to the nearest eyewear dealer (I happen to know the girl that works there) and I got extra-dark polycarbonate polarized lenses put in. Costed around $60 for the lenses. Took about a week to get them back.
Here they are:

Glasses_13.png

Glasses_11.png

Glasses_three.png

Kev_portrait_27_2.png

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Sharp, Jerekson! I've been looking on Ebay for frames, but they're always such a gamble. I finally pulled the trigger on a pair recently, but when I got them the frame had been soldered at some point in the past and no optometry shop would touch them. I think I'll just have to keep perusing the thrift shops for a good pair. The size you have is perfect for your face, though.

Story

I'll Lock Up

Mike K.

One Too Many
Story said:
On the topic of plain dressing
Came across this relevant article -
And looked up the guy. Note that he (and others hunting in Africa) are unremarkable in dress.
Plain dress has its function. Light earth colors are remarkable camouflage for many African plains habitats (plain clothes for the plains). These colors also help conceal dust & dirt, and do well at keeping the intense sun at bay. Did you know they also help keep mosquitoes away? Those little flying suckers are attracted to color, especially that on the ultraviolet end of the spectrum. In other words, khakis are better than blue jeans. I work outside in the backcountry of southern Florida and these plain colors truly are what works best. You all are right though, they definitely need better hats! I'm guessing the backs of their necks are completely sunburned. A nice Akubra Riverina or Territory would make the look.

Man, would I'd give to bag a kudu like that!!
odusch3.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
The story I've heard on the emu feather for the cav and mounted infantry units was that the troopers would display feats of horsemanship by pulling the feathers out from a running emu.

I hated wearing a beret. It was hot, didn't do a thing for the sun, and was a pain to get it to look like anything but a French baker's hat.

Interesting that they have an Assyrian winged bull emblem as used by troops in Mesopotamia c 1600BC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925