Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

tonypaj

Practically Family
Mark G said:
Mojave, I've been thinking about getting those LL Bean boots for about two years now, but have not been able to pull the trigger on buying shoes mail order. Just haven't had good luck buying without trying them on.

Also wanted to mention that while I was in Kenya I found a great magazine on East Africa; www.oldafricamagazine.com. It has subject matter from every perspective and I read every issue I could get my hands on. I have a friend in Nairobi that is getting me all the back issues and I'm going to subscribe. I know it's a little off topic but I'm sure Mojave Jack, Mike K, Nick Charles, and all the other "Floungers" interested in East Africa would get a huge kick out of this mag.

How was Kenya? I'm planning to take the family there for Christmas, 2-3 weeks. Would be staying with friends, a safari for a few days (Finch-Hattons or like), a few days in Zanzibar, as well. What was the security situation like, I keep getting mixed info, don't know about going to Western Kenya, however I can't see too much worries about Nairobi...

Mark G

A-List Customer
Tonypaj, we had no problems whatsoever. Even in Nakuru and Navasha it has been safe enough to take tourist to the parks. If I hadn't heard any news I would not have been aware of any trouble. Kenya needs the business so I say go ahead with your plans.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Those Bean engineer boots are too darn heavy!! They are essentially the Chippewa 6" work boot marketed through L. L. Bean. I have a pair purchased from the Sportsman's Guide. They run about a half size large and they are definitely not built on a Munson last like the old army boots (e.g. Corcorans). Did I mention how heavy they are?

My daily footwear is the Hi-Tec Fastpack boot. These are very light weight, and have withstood years of grueling "combat" work in Florida's backcountry. I have owned similar Hi-Tec boots over the years and all have been very comfortable right out of the box and have lasted many years and many miles. Maybe they aren't too vintage-looking, but they're the best!
colourId_4719_detail.jpg

Mark - thanks for the info on that publication. I'll definitely be checking it out. Hope I'll be able to see some photos from your safari sometime soon!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Jack the sportsmansguide boots are pretty dead n in size and the wide toe gives you plenty of room. I've had mine for 3 yars and the get the crap beat out of them, they are pretty good boots. If you look really close on a blow up of the LL beans you can tell they are the same Chippies.

An the magazine looks great mark, but is $50 for a sub and the entire back issue set is only 40 go figure.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick! Welcome back! You've been conspicuously absent for several pages here.

I'll have to check out your boots the next time I come that way. Between the mail-order thing and Mike's review on the weight, I'll have to heft yours and see what I think. That SunBody was one heavy hat, so you'll pardon my hesitation! ;)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Mike K. said:
Probably above the 6th or 7th eyelet, but that's exactly the idea! I haven't decided between the Corcoran desert jump boot and the russet historic version they make. Either would be nice and the historic version would make for a higher quality (i.e. more rugged & utilitarian) reproduction of the original WWII service shoe, with the main difference being number of eyelets. Something like this...

1510.jpg

Im liking that desert boot as well as the cutdown idea very much.
I wouldnt mind a boot w/ a zipper running down the side.

But why cut down russet corcorans when you could jsut order service shoes from a reproduction house like AtTheFront?
us_boot_serv_shoe_main.jpg

Nick Charles

Practically Family
well if you weren't a skinny twig your neck might be stronger;) The boots are a little heavy but you forget that I come from a western packer and cowboy Hats background. they tend to be heavier items.

Mark G

A-List Customer
Nick Charles said:
An the magazine looks great mark, but is $50 for a sub and the entire back issue set is only 40 go figure.

Nick, they only list half the back issues for $40 USD. I don't know why they haven't listed the others. They are up to issue 15.

Mike K. I'll try to post pics and a mini report on the "Steamer Trunk". in the next couple days.

Mike K.

One Too Many
MrBern said:
But why cut down russet corcorans when you could jsut order service shoes from a reproduction house like AtTheFront?
us_boot_serv_shoe_main.jpg
That was originally what I planned to do. Is their leather thick enough for actual field wear as an everyday work boot? The only pair I've seen was from WPG and the leather was thin and not up to the task of being daily work wear.

Mike K.

One Too Many
nobodyspecial said:
That's a nice looking boot.

I bought a pair of Asolo TPS 535 boots last year and like them a great deal.
http://www.rei.com/product/694262

It was all I could do to not buy a boot with a Norweigen welt. I still can't get myself to look at gore tex boots or boots with fabric uppers. Maybe someday.
Hey, those Asolo boots are great! I still have a pair, but the leather seems to have shrunk and they're rather tight now (must have got 'em wet). Don't worry about looking for Goretex boots, they aren't worth it. An all-leather boot can be waterproofed just as good. Also for Goretex to work there must be a significant temperature differential between inside & outside the boot in order to drive the water vapor through the membrane. That means unless you are wearing the boots in cold weather all the time, the fancy waterproof-breathable membrane will only be waterproof...forget about breathability!! And as for that waterproofness, if you ever get water over the top edge of the boot you can forget about it ever leaving. I'll buy a Goretex winter jacket, but will never again get any waterproof-breathable boots - they're very hot and they don't really breathe unless you have just the right weather conditions. I'd rather have all leather boots or a simple leather-fabric combination - something that will actually breathe and will dry fast.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I'm of the same mind with boots. Waterproof boots are great if you stand around in water all day, but for general hiking and backpacking I've never needed completely waterproof boots. If boots keep water out they will keep sweat in. It's just the way it is.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Now why, if the Australians can incorporate a classic piece of headgear into their modern uniforms, can't the US Army?

1a3vx.jpg

That's just cool, that's what that is.

Sorry about the huge pic gents, but I swiped it from another site.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
The story I've heard on the emu feather for the cav and mounted infantry units was that the troopers would display feats of horsemanship by pulling the feathers out from a running emu.

I hated wearing a beret. It was hot, didn't do a thing for the sun, and was a pain to get it to look like anything but a French baker's hat.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I really like that hat. they look like they mean business. Who cares it something on it looks funny its the principal of the thing that matters, especially to the wearer.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Good point. Maybe they push them back on their backs, suspended by the chinstrap. Like a cowboy. I guess that could be a bit of a liability if they went into action, with that thing flopping around and falling in front of your face or something.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
Good point. Maybe they push them back on their backs, suspended by the chinstrap. Like a cowboy. I guess that could be a bit of a liability if they went into action, with that thing flopping around and falling in front of your face or something.
If it was made of kevlar instead of felt then.....:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn