Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
RockBottom said:
How do you feel that Corcorans compare to Danners? Are the Corcorans all made in the U.S.? I've been looking for a new pair of hot weather boots for a planned two month jaunt to Baghdad.
I had a pair of Go Devils, and they were warm and tough, but they never really broke in well. Still, I think Danner is a superior boot to the Corcorans. I've worn my Corcorans in the field and never had any problem with them at all. I did have toruble with a blister on my heel when wearing them in chem gear about a week ago. We were in MOPP 2 for three days straight on 12 hour shifts, and I'm not sure if it was something to do with the overboots or with my Corcorans. I've never had that problem before, though. That having been said, though, when I was in the desert I wore the Schwartzkopf boots. I still think they are one of the most comfortable boots ever made.

Mike K. said:
I've been toying with the idea of purchasing this model boot and having it cut down to a shorter 6" height (something along the lines of a WWII service shoe). I think it would just be a matter of some minor restitching. Any thoughts on whether to proceed?
Mike, that is an intriguing idea! I can try and talk to my cobbler tomorrow and see if it is something that can be effectively done. I like that idea, though. What would you think, cut it off just above the sixth or the fifth eyelet?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
A slightly crude mockup, but something like this?

CutoffCorcorans.jpg

Intriguing.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
I had a pair of Go Devils, and they were warm and tough, but they never really broke in well.
I had those toand they stayed a little stiff due to the goretex bootie and thick leather which really protected mylegs. For me the perfect balance has been the Acadia, tough but with a strong nylon upper. They broke in perfectly after 2 days and I have never looked back!:)

indycop said:
I had those toand they stayed a little stiff due to the goretex bootie and thick leather which really protected mylegs. For me the perfect balance has been the Acadia, tough but with a strong nylon upper. They broke in perfectly after 2 days and I have never looked back!:)

I had a pair of Ft Lewis Danners that were superb but my foot has continued to grow and they don't fit. I have some Bellevue or is it Bellvederes that are similar to the Acadias that are nice.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:

I had a pair of Ft Lewis Danners that were superb but my foot has continued to grow and they don't fit. I have some Bellevue or is it Bellvederes that are similar to the Acadias that are nice.
It wasn't until I got Danners that I learned I wear a wide!:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

kiltie

Practically Family
Danner

Did you trade up on the Danners? I've been wearing the Mountain Light II for about seven years now, and prior to that, the original Mountain Light. They are collectively, the best shoe/boot I have ever owned and the only reason I traded up is I gave the first pair away. The Mountain Lights are, for me, the quintessential "ready for action" shoe, being comfortable enough to wear all the time, subdued enough to wear with almost anything, but always looking ( and acting ) like they mean business. Certainly the best shoe I've ever owned, and probably the best ( favorite ) piece of clothing/ accessory.

Duck

Practically Family
I wear the all leather Danner Strikers, and I like them very much. They are a very comfortable and tough boot.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
kiltie said:
Did you trade up on the Danners? I've been wearing the Mountain Light II for about seven years now, and prior to that, the original Mountain Light. They are collectively, the best shoe/boot I have ever owned and the only reason I traded up is I gave the first pair away. The Mountain Lights are, for me, the quintessential "ready for action" shoe, being comfortable enough to wear all the time, subdued enough to wear with almost anything, but always looking ( and acting ) like they mean business. Certainly the best shoe I've ever owned, and probably the best ( favorite ) piece of clothing/ accessory.

Danner is transitioning to a new hot weather model, so their Acadias are on sale if you buy them directly. They don't have all sizes--I normally wear a D width but all they had was an EE in mine, but it seemed to work out well.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
A slightly crude mockup, but something like this?
CutoffCorcorans.jpg

Intriguing.
Probably above the 6th or 7th eyelet, but that's exactly the idea! I haven't decided between the Corcoran desert jump boot and the russet historic version they make. Either would be nice and the historic version would make for a higher quality (i.e. more rugged & utilitarian) reproduction of the original WWII service shoe, with the main difference being number of eyelets. Something like this...

1510.jpg

Copper

One of the Regulars
indycop said:

The 8" Insulated Danner Acadia is the finest boot I have ever worn. I wore one pair on patrol for nearly 5 years, just resoling them once per year. Even years later they are still waterproof, and amazingly enough, still on the original pair of laces.

Mark G

A-List Customer
Mojave, I've been thinking about getting those LL Bean boots for about two years now, but have not been able to pull the trigger on buying shoes mail order. Just haven't had good luck buying without trying them on.

Also wanted to mention that while I was in Kenya I found a great magazine on East Africa; www.oldafricamagazine.com. It has subject matter from every perspective and I read every issue I could get my hands on. I have a friend in Nairobi that is getting me all the back issues and I'm going to subscribe. I know it's a little off topic but I'm sure Mojave Jack, Mike K, Nick Charles, and all the other "Floungers" interested in East Africa would get a huge kick out of this mag.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My Mrs. and I both have the Bean Engineer boots. They are oddly not at all warm in cold weather, and take some breaking in time, but we love 'em.

They show up on eBay for lots less now and then.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
FlArchaeologist said:
Thanks Mojave,

Aye, different environments but one common goal. Just out of curiosity, where do you find those socks? I've been looking for some cheap but comfortable pairs to wear underneath my BDU pants when on survey (I know...blasphemy...but I trash a pair in about 3-4 weeks, and they're expendable...).

Cheers,
Adam

Try Sierra Trading Post for socks. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ The selection is hit or miss, but they will have them from time to time. I bought a pair by Bridgedale for the Lake Pepin ride last year and the socks have held up nicely. Keep checking their website and sooner or later you'll find some.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Too bad LL Bean doesn't make the Katahdin Iron Works Engineer Boots in a tan roughout or a smooth finish. They're darn close.
I've had a pair from Chippewa that are simmilar. They were on the dull side when I first got them. They quickly got a descent smooth look after about four months of wear. Not quite polished , but not suede looking either. Sportsman's Guide has them fairly cheap at times.
121100_ts.jpg

One boot manufacturer I have had trouble with was Rocky. They've always taken back boots that have fallen apart, so they do care about customer support. I've heard so many good thing about them, but in the past four years I went through three pairs of boots of theirs. Two were the same lightweight boot which I used for rabbit/bird hunting and warm days deer hunting, the other a "sneaker boot"(not made anymore), very light weight. I finally gave up and bought a light boot by browning.
i811960sq02.jpg

They held up well this season, still waterproof and they are comfortable.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Since boots were mentioned .... does anyone have experience with Red Wings outside the realm of "work boots"?

My wife and I had to start wearing them at work (for electrical hazard and steel toe necessities), but those stupid work boots have turned out to be the most comfortable shoes I own and the only ones that fit correct on my extra wide foot.

Purely out of that one good experience, I am thinking of purchasing a pair (even if it costs me two or three hundred dollars) of their casual or hiking boots. Anyone have Red Wing advice or a model they particularly enjoy?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mark G said:
Also wanted to mention that while I was in Kenya I found a great magazine on East Africa; www.oldafricamagazine.com. It has subject matter from every perspective and I read every issue I could get my hands on. I have a friend in Nairobi that is getting me all the back issues and I'm going to subscribe. I know it's a little off topic but I'm sure Mojave Jack, Mike K, Nick Charles, and all the other "Floungers" interested in East Africa would get a huge kick out of this mag.
Mark, that looks like some fascinating reading. I checked out the website briefly, but I'll have to go back and look closer. It looks like the articles they have online are all full text. Thanks for the heads up!

scotrace said:
My Mrs. and I both have the Bean Engineer boots. They are oddly not at all warm in cold weather, and take some breaking in time, but we love 'em.

They show up on eBay for lots less now and then.
Scott, how do you find the fit compared to your normal shoe size and fit? Like Mark, I've had trouble getting a good fit when ordering online, and resist doing so whenever possible. In fact, I tried all of LL Bean's mid-weight hikers, and could not find a pair that fit well. I spent about $100 on shipping them back and forth until I finally gave up.

My dad has a pair of Chippewas that he has had for 30 years, at least. Fortunately we wear the exact same size, and I've worn his for extended periods. They were some of the most comfortable, tough, and warm boots I've ever worn. They used to be called their "40 Belows" but I'm not sure what they call them now.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
HamletJSD said:
Since boots were mentioned .... does anyone have experience with Red Wings outside the realm of "work boots"?

My wife and I had to start wearing them at work (for electrical hazard and steel toe necessities), but those stupid work boots have turned out to be the most comfortable shoes I own and the only ones that fit correct on my extra wide foot.

Purely out of that one good experience, I am thinking of purchasing a pair (even if it costs me two or three hundred dollars) of their casual or hiking boots. Anyone have Red Wing advice or a model they particularly enjoy?

Reinforcement of the old addage, "If the shoe fits, wear it." I have strange feet and finding a good fit is not easy. If Red Wing works for you go for it. Red Wing also owns Vasque so you may want to look there as well for hiking boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn