Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Thanks for the heads-up H.J.

H.Johnson said:
Dave,

Needless to say, I agree with you completely. Every word. But we have been through this type of discussion on the forum before. Expect to make enemies...

If this has been covered before, I apologise for raising it here. But as a relative newbie, I can't be expected to read everything before posting anything :eek:

I object when people who are obviously not up to the standard decide to wear things that they have not earned.
The same goes for the guys who reenact the WW2 British Paras (Airborne to our colonial cousins :p ). If one of them has served and eared his jump wings, then I'm ok with them wearing some. BUT when I see a 250lbs man stuffed into his battledress and Denison and wearing the cherry beret and jump wings, my blood boils.

How would those people feel seeing some guy wearing the Medal of Honour or Victoria Cross when they know he did not earn it but only bought it ?

DDR

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
OK, OK Subject / rant over

Mike K. said:
There has been a lot of debate on this topic in many different threads. You are not alone in your opinion. Then again, you also have just as many who take the opposing stance. Consider that some of those guys in the photo perhaps did not earn those badges themselves, but instead wear a reproduction of the uniform worn by a father or grandfather (and do so out of tremendous respect, and would be all too obliged to tell the tales of gallantry of their late family members). My point is that this is a matter of very personal opinion, and as such there are many different views on the subject.

On a slightly different note, while everyone is entitled to voice their opinions on the lounge, this particular thread is not the place. The Adventurer's Gear Thread has been, and should continue to be, the place for discussing articles of outdoor clothing, gear, and accessories. Let's please keep it that way. ;)

O.K. Rant over. If I feel the need, I'll start another thread ! I don't wish to spoil this thread any more than the LRDG reenactors would have.

I DO appreciate keeping memoires alive but accuracy is also important as we don't want every American thinking that Ben Afleck and his American Eagle squadron won the Battle of Britain, stole an Enigma machine or founded the SAS lol Just because my Grandfather won medals does not qualify me to wear them. Nor would I wear them to a Rememberence Service. I would wear his regimental badge alongside mine as lapel pins (which I do).

DDR

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Warning

Those French boots are seriously stiff. After 3 months of trying to wear them at work on site, I gave up. My feet were broken in to the boots and not the other way around ! :eek: They probably make good plant pots though .......

DDR

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Dudleydoright said:
Those French boots are seriously stiff. After 3 months of trying to wear them at work on site, I gave up. My feet were broken in to the boots and not the other way around ! :eek: They probably make good plant pots though .......

DDR

They are very stiff at first, but they are worth breaking in. Mine were finally broken in after a year. It helps to rub some warm olive oil into the leather. They'll last a lifetime.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Mmmmmmm

You've not 100% convinced me but I'll dig them out and give them a try. I've never used warm olive oil for that particular purpose ........shhhhhhhh :eek: Must make a bit of a mess of your socks though ! Does the oil help prevent blisters as your feet are sliding around all the time ?
Cheers,
DDR

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I once had a pair of them that weren't SO stiff, actually fine but I've also seen very hard ones in surplus stores and wondered if they were surplus because they were actually un-wearable.
I also had a nice pair of black Bundeswehr boots, which were very stiff,
just not enough flex in them- blisters unavoidable. Castor oil can soften thick, hard leather but it can also rot stitching.

B
T

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Not good drills

eightbore said:
baker.jpg

Is that guy's hand over the end of the barrel ? I have a friend who did that and blew off his thumb back to the palm. He had to have his little finger removed to replace it. Not clever and not pretty.

The sight of all these now endangered species in these photographs shows us how things have changed...............
[edited for bad splleing :)]

Cheers,
DDR

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
True

BellyTank said:
I once had a pair of them that weren't SO stiff, actually fine but I've also seen very hard ones in surplus stores and wondered if they were surplus because they were actually un-wearable.
I also had a nice pair of black Bundeswehr boots, which were very stiff,
just not enough flex in them- blisters unavoidable. Castor oil can soften thick, hard leather but it can also rot stitching.

B
T

Perhaps mine were not stored properly and have fossilised ! lol I do recommend their Ranger boots which are the black, commando soled current issue version. Not suitable here as vintage but a good boot just the same.

DDR

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Dudleydoright said:
You've not 100% convinced me but I'll dig them out and give them a try. I've never used warm olive oil for that particular purpose ........shhhhhhhh :eek:
:eek:

Must make a bit of a mess of your socks though ! Does the oil help prevent blisters as your feet are sliding around all the time ?
Cheers,
DDR

Nah, the oil never leaked through the leather so no need to worry about your socks (just as long as you don't put too much on). The olive oil will also help water proof 'em.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Pecard's will also work well for these stiff boots - that is what we use on our newly acquired and stiff boots. Plus, I believe you have a better chance of Pecard's not going rancid on you as olive oil surely may.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Orvis sale

I was browsing the Orvis website and saw that the earlier mentioned Navigator Microtwill sports jacket was on sale from $189 down to $34 in all sizes. So I promptly bought a 46". RESULT !! I've received my Orvis confirmation and shipping e-mails but now can't find the sale or the jacket listed anywhere on their website. Do you think I got the benefit of someone's cock-up ?

DDR

Trotsky

A-List Customer
DSCF1211.jpg

Same event as the last one, the next year though.

Sorry I "spoiled" the threat with my last shot.

All uniform bits are WPG, slouch is unknown, but a very soft fur felt, it came with a Cadet badge on it. The pistol is a No.2 Enfield. My watch is a near perfect replica bought, of all places, Wal-Mart. You never, ever know, what you will find, I suppose. It was hotter than hell this year, but luckily the KD kept me and my mates cool, or at least as cool as it could!

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Spoiled ? Not exactly

Hi Trotsky,

I hope my post hasn't offended you and I don't consider the thread 'spoiled' (if you are referring to THAT photo).

But I have to say that this photo is WAY better IMVHO. And I do appreciate the work that you guys put in to keep this part of history alive. I really do.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The reality is that very few (and least of all myself) could do the period LRDG look of near starvation rations and stress. Keep the memories alive.

Cheers,
DDR

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Nick Charles said:
Wolsely Pith, LL Bean shirt, Orvis Jacket and Bills Ghurka Pants with the chippewa boots ffrom Sportsmansguide.

pith001qh3.jpg

pith002hw8.jpg

pith003jx9.jpg

I really like that jacket, but I can't seem to find that style in the current Orvis catalog. Do they still offer it?

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Magnum

Give yourself a moustache and I could see you doing a fair Jonathon Higgins from Magnum impression.

'Spot-on old chap, spot-on'

DDR

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dudleydoright said:
Is that guy's hand over the end of the barrel ? I have a friend who did that and blew off his thumb back to the palm. He had to have his little finger removed to replace it. Not clever and not pretty.

The sight of all these now endangered species in these photographs shows us how things have changed...............
[edited for bad splleing :)]

Cheers,
DDR

That photo looks like it was taken in a studio. That makes it likely the gun was empty for the shot.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
NO !!!!

carebear said:
That photo looks like it was taken in a studio. That makes it likely the gun was empty for the shot.

THAT is SOOOOOO American !! Every weapon must be treated as if it were loaded and with the safety off.

First rule of weapon handling is ONLY POINT A GUN AT SOMETHING THAT YOU DON'T CARE IF IT GETS KILLED / DESTROYED.

The attitude that something is unloaded and so safe is the one that regularly sees people getting killed or killing someone whilst cleaning or handling it and forgetting it is loaded or not having the skills to check it is unloaded and if not, make it 'safe'. Only idiots play with guns. Smart soldiers handle them with great care and respect.

Lesson over.

DDR - ex Parachute Regiment / Royal Egineers.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dudleydoright said:
THAT is SOOOOOO American !! Every weapon must be treated as if it were loaded and with the safety off.

First rule of weapon handling is ONLY POINT A GUN AT SOMETHING THAT YOU DON'T CARE IF IT GETS KILLED / DESTROYED.

The attitude that something is unloaded and so safe is the one that regularly sees people getting killed or killing someone whilst cleaning or handling it and forgetting it is loaded or not having the skills to check it is unloaded and if not, make it 'safe'. Only idiots play with guns. Smart soldiers handle them with great care and respect.

Lesson over.

DDR - ex Parachute Regiment / Royal Egineers.

Easy there tiger.

I don't need a lesson from you or anyone else on firearm safety.

Weapons that have been cleared in the presence of all involved can be and often are safely used for photo ops., static displays and other particular instances under controlled circumstances.

There is a world of difference between a staged photo shoot, with a cleared weapon and all ammunition accounted for and placed elsewhere and "playing with guns".

Keep your high and mighty attitude under control and perhaps ask questions before lecturing others under the assumption your knowledge and experience is greater than theirs.

Matthew Carberry
Sgt., USMC Recon. '91-'04
Graduate of Ayoob's LFI 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy