Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mike K.

One Too Many
I took the better suspension out of an older pith helmet that I just use as office decor and added it to the African Pith Helmet. All it involves is carefully removing the adjustable leather sweat band, sliding the suspension over the grommets, then reassembling the whole affair.

Incidentally, submerging the helmet to redye it did not soften the pith. My concern was that it would either cause the overlying cloth to shrink or remove the adhesive bond between pith and cloth. No problems either way.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
And this one
FF024_505x599.jpg
is it jsut me, or does that hat have some taper to it?

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Not sure what that surveyor is doing, or why his stance is so...odd.

FA076-673x371.jpg

From the looks of it, he is using his right leg to prop up the umbrella while he writes in a journal or on a pad of paper. I admit though, it is difficult to tell from the back!

The jeep is great though...

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
bruce wayne said:
is it jsut me, or does that hat have some taper to it?
Isn't that great?! He must be a veteran that just kept on wearing his campaign hat into his civilian job. All the description says is "Circa 1920. USGS Topographer." He must have had that hat a while, since by 1920 the Montana peaked hat had been issued for about 8 years.

Max Flash said:
From the looks of it, he is using his right leg to prop up the umbrella while he writes in a journal or on a pad of paper. I admit though, it is difficult to tell from the back!

The jeep is great though...
Good eye. That's a reasonable explanation. I downloaded the hi-res version of the photo, but I can't tell a lot more about the truck, unfortunately. If I can ID an older vehicle, it is usually by the front end! What intrigues me, though, is that cover on the back. It looks like it has roll up sides, but it doesn't look like canvas. I wonder if that was a purpose-built thing, or if it was a standard utility option.

They have a desert water bag hanging at the very back, though. I have one but it's not fit to drink from, and those things get more and more rare. They really work! The water gets so cold sometimes it can almost give you a headache!

I have the Elizabeth Campbell's autobiography, and she talks about her and Bill taking their Model T out into the Mojave and Colorado deserts on archeological expeditions. It's crazy the places that would take that thing! I'd never think of going some of those places with my 4WD Colorado Z71, yet they were going in a 20 hp Model T, miles from civilization, no form of communication, with bootleggers all over the hills protecting their stills.... Great stuff!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Three on eBay last week.

B
T
I see a couple on there right now! I do a search for them every now and then, but some of them don't look like I'd ever want to drink out of them. I have one, and it works great, but the taste is really awful. If I buy one again, it'd have to be brand new, since most of the ones on eBay seem to have been hanging in someone's garage for 40 years. Yuck! They used to issue us those in the Marine Corps, and I should have appropriated one or two then. Not enough foresight when I was 22, I guess.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Bingo! Too bad I don't need between 49 and 500 of 'em, though! Any idea where to just get one or two?

Well, it says "49 or less" for $52, so I would think you could get one or two there. That's just my guess, though. I didn't actually look in to it since I can't even think about spending that kinda scratch for a water bag (poor college student w/ baby on the way = very little extra money).

WH1

Practically Family
Issued for Desert Shield/Storm. One of the great old designs. Still have it and use it on occasion, that and my old squad stove. I saw a couple during last deployment to Iraq, but they are rare due to use of bottled water we freeze prior to rolling. Not romantic or nostalgic but it tasted a whole lot better.lol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
Mike, you re-dyed a helmet? I've been wanting to do that to a helmet to get a darker khaki, closer to a brown color. My ideal would be the color of Dr. Leidner's helmet in Murder in Mesopotamia, the A&E version.

Incidentally, while doing some research on using an alidade, I came across some great photos at the USGS site of surveyors at work.

FF025-454x653.jpg

FA092-432x650.jpg

This one looks like home!
FA074-669x362.jpg

I particularly like this one
FP043-648x406.jpg

And this one
FF024_505x599.jpg

Jack, those are great photos! As a Land Surveyor I'm always on the lookout for stuff like that. :)

Cheers!

Dan

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
Jack, those are great photos! As a Land Surveyor I'm always on the lookout for stuff like that. :)

Cheers!

Dan
Glad you like them!

I'm also glad to hear you're a surveyor; I may need to hit you up for some tips and tricks. I've been developing a demonstration on classical archaeology, using tools from the era. I have a transit from the 1920s, as evidenced by a plat found with the transit dated 1924, but it is in quadrants. All the transits I've ever used have a 360 degree scale.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
You should be able to find transits in Quads fairly easily on e-bay. I've seen plenty of the old original pocket transits that are in Quads quite a bit on e-bay as well. Only problem is that when they come up there are some rich surveyors out there that seem to snatch them up at a hefty price, but if you're crafty and patient you may be able to snag one up for a fair price. Good luck on that front. Either that or you can get a new Brunton pocket transit that is on their site or other sites. You can get them in Azimuth, Quad or Mils. In any case they're not cheap for either a new model or an antique, but they are a great practical too to have around.

Cheers!

Dan

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
DanielJones said:

Cheers!

Dan

I was a surveyor for the army from 1986 to 1989. It was the best job I ever had. I really wish I would have continued surveying and began a civilian career doing it!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
You should be able to find transits in Quads fairly easily on e-bay. I've seen plenty of the old original pocket transits that are in Quads quite a bit on e-bay as well. Only problem is that when they come up there are some rich surveyors out there that seem to snatch them up at a hefty price, but if you're crafty and patient you may be able to snag one up for a fair price. Good luck on that front. Either that or you can get a new Brunton pocket transit that is on their site or other sites. You can get them in Azimuth, Quad or Mils. In any case they're not cheap for either a new model or an antique, but they are a great practical too to have around.

Cheers!

Dan
Yes, I have the transit, now I just need the experience using it. It is a White Midget Transit dating from the 20s. I got it with the original tripod, too. Everything works really well, except that it only has the cross hair reticule, and not the reticule with the three horizontal lines for finding distance with the range pole.

SlyGI said:
I was a surveyor for the army from 1986 to 1989. It was the best job I ever had. I really wish I would have continued surveying and began a civilian career doing it!
Artillery? I was an artillery meteorologist in the Marine Corps on my first enlistment, and our section was combined with the surveyors. I had a real opportunity to learn the craft, but at that point in my career I was more interested in getting out of work than adding more work! I really kick myself now. I got a lot of it whether I wanted it or not, though, so I can still get by a bit. The skills come in very handy noew that I am an archeologist.

By the way, BT, have you seen the new offering from Territory Ahead? The new Zzyzx Field Coat looks very Sahariana-like!

110444_dt.jpg

The name may sound strange if you're not from California, but it is but it is named for the town of Zzyzx, in the Mojave National Preserve. It's right down the road from me, and I've done some of my research there; there and at the Granite Mountain Research Center, and many other locations within the Mojave National Preserve. It is home to the Desert Studies Center, and is a beautiful piece of desert.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was looking at the Terr. Ahead just now, checking out the jacket.

They have Bill's Khaki's M2 in stock for $97.50. Hemmed length up to 35 inches.

Aren't these the ones that are considered "authentic-y" and usually have to be ordered from Japan or something?

I seem to remember I couldn't find them easily, from up here anyway. Is the price okay?

Thanks gents.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Doug C.'s Mountaineering book

Doug C said:
I was at the book store the other day, and thumbing through and reading parts on a Big ol' Mountaineering book but the name of it escapes me now, it was mostly vintage mountaineering, plenty of old pictures.....

Doug C

Did you find out the title/author yet?

Hope you'll let us know, M.M.

(I hate to see great little posts like Doug's get lost in the FL/Adventurers Gear Jungle. Can't somebody turn this chaos into a forum full of priceless information that's already there but really deserves to be sorted out.I'm spending so much time researching/retrieving two weeks old posts here to be able to research the wonderful old stuff I'm/we're really interested in.
There appears to be enough room in the F.L. to discuss Golden Era stuff like House M.D., Olympic Parade Suits, for a pictureless=useless WAYWT:" Today: Old cap, repro jacket, old shirt, old pants, old socks, old shoes. Wow, sounds dapper, Mose! ......?")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland