Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Jerekson

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
The BAG is cool but the print has transformed it into "Streetwear".

I've seen so much useful vintage surplus turned into "Streetwear", with the addition of red stars, prison numbers, etc. One of my favourite surplus stores, in Copenhagen seemed to take their whole stock of European vintage military clothing and give it this treatment- rendering it useless for my purposes.

B
T

I would probably end up modifying it anyway.

BellyTank said:
I've seen so much useful vintage surplus turned into "Streetwear", with the addition of red stars.
B
T

It's funny how much romanticism there is for the revolution to produce the old Worker's Paradise, over here they still love Che and Fiedel. It's Commie Chic.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
1970s suede sahariana

Not mine, I hasten to add. Just thought it'd give BT something to think about...! And perhaps tease out a few wrong turnings on the road to adventuring style.

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
Does anyone know where to find cartridge-holding-suspenders like Val Kilmer wears in the movie 'The Ghost and the Darkness'. I've tried to scour the internet and have come up empty.

-Allen

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gatsby84 said:
Does anyone know where to find cartridge-holding-suspenders like Val Kilmer wears in the movie 'The Ghost and the Darkness'. I've tried to scour the internet and have come up empty.

-Allen

Probably easier to find a local holstermaker and have them made.

I keep ending up with that option on numerous holsters I see in odd books and such.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Buy Of The Week

I scored this Tilley bush jacket for $9.95 at the local thrift store on Saturday. It's in nearly new condition - I don't think it's even had its first washing. I've wanted a Tilley jacket for a long time, but there's no way I could ever afford the 250 bucks they cost new. I am one happy little monkey!

jacket_tilley.JPG

Jerekson

One Too Many
Perfect find! I'll bet your totally happy about that one. How is the fit?

I've never been able to wear jackets like that. My style is decidedly short in the waist (as a rule for buying jackets, if the bottom flair extends past my wrists then it's no good). Now, if I could find that jacket with the bottom pockets cut off...

Warbaby

One Too Many
To say that I'm enormously pleased would be an understatement. The fit is absolutely perfect - couldn't be better if it was custom made.

The previous day in the same thrift shop I found a cashmere hounds-tooth check jacket in pristine condition for $1.50 (it was half-price day). I posted some pix of it in the 'Show Us Your Thrift Shop Finds' thread. It's a tad large - I wear a 40 and it's a 42 - but the fit is perfect with an Irish turtleneck sweater (which is prolly the only way I'll ever wear it, but at the price I can afford to have it for just one purpose).

Some days you just get lucky...

Warbaby

One Too Many
It's a cotton/poly blend of their own creation - here's what they say about it:

"Tilley AdventureCloth, a polyester (65%) and cotton (35%) blend for strength and comfort. This fabric is comfortable to wear, easy to care for, needs little or no ironing, and will stand up to the most rigorous travel and adventure. The thread is cotton-wrapped polyester for strength.

# Lockstitched with cotton over polyester thread for durability
# Wherever possible - Twice sewn seams
# Bar tacked at every stress point
# Guaranteed for life never to wear out! "

Note that last item - not many things these days are "guaranteed for life never to wear out." I guess that's why Tilley stuff is so bloody expensive.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Band of Historical Hillwalkers

Band of Historical Hillwalkers

"The group advocates the exploration of the great outdoors wearing attire made by underpaid adults in the United Kingdom, as opposed to fashion-wear made by underpaid childern in the Pacific Rim.

Tweed, wool and leather boots are worn in preference to inferior man-made materials. The BHHW considers zips, velcro, gortex and other such imposters objectionable and the wearing therof is viciously discouraged.

Through drawing, pinhole photography and engaged observation the individual is encouraged to commune with the natural world in the correct manner. The BHHW are proud to blend in with their native flora and fauna, rather than stand out like a lot of roughs at the disco."

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Thanks very much for that.
Weird...

I'd been there before(must have been very recently) and must have dreamed about it, forgotten about it, then remembered it as just a dream.
It is not exactly as I remember it. Too good to be true.

So... you're a member?
They look like exactly my type of folks- need to start a Scandinavian chapter.

Cool.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past said:
Yup, I'm a member of the club. There's a couple of pics of me wearing a beret and a couple of acres of wool shirt.

Aahh... Cliffe, Ginger and Greyback.
Me and my old Dad did a bit of trailblazing in Wales, back in 2000.
Showed him some narrow gauge rail(Ffestiniog, etc) took in Snowdonia and Port Meirion- all the usual.

I spot some cool gear in those photos- tweed and vintage rucksacks- corduroy and berets-
big socks and nailed Lennons- Anoraks...

The lovely dark haired girl has an interesting looking khaki cap with a peak.
Know anything about it?

I think I'd probably fit in with this crowd.

B
T

shortbow

Practically Family
CP, that's a fine trip you folks are on. I have for years been just gagged at the sight of all the synthetics and plastics and electronics people now use to "experience" the outdoors. I have decided most people are intimidated and afraid of Mother Nature and go for all that stuff to insulate themselves from her. Kudos to all youse guys.:eusa_clap

Doug C

Practically Family
I was at the book store the other day, and thumbing through and reading parts on a Big ol' Mountaineering book but the name of it escapes me now, it was mostly vintage mountaineering, plenty of old pictures. What struck me most about the shots from the "golden era" is that many of the climbers wore Cords (of Roy, :) ) trousers, well they were calf length (as opposed to knee length) and the cord material was widely grooved and thick looking and textured, I particularly noticed the front pockets to be slits, like jean pockets but at a straight angle. They were alway a loose baggy fit. These were often coupled with awesome thick sweaters or Loose thick tweed jackets. I'd probably buy some of those pants if someone still produced 'em.

Doug C

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to see that book!
I've seen climbing breeches like that.
The pockets are straight, so yer pocket guff doesn't com oot.
Heavy corduroy- not so much "grooves" as ridges- they're called "wales" and the fewer there are per inch, the fatter they must be. A heavy, 5 wale cord is chunky.

B
T

Doug C

Practically Family
I plan on going back at some point and getting it, but it was expensive and large, almost coffe table sized. Some of the clothes, boots, hats, ropes, etc were very inspiring. When I go back there I'll take note of the book name. Are their any movies besides the earlier sceens of Seven Years in Tibet that show good alpine type gear? Surely there are, actually I remember an old black and white film starring Spencer Tracey (as an older brother) to Robert Wagner (I think), they were mountaineers and most of the film was mountain climbing sceens with great wool gear - anyone know the name?

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner