Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
lol Maybe! I look like a mushroom in it!

On a separate note, anybody know a good source for the P37 binocular case? Doesn't have to be WWII dates, but preferably one that hasn't been blancoed to death. I've been hunting for some time, and it seems like when I wasn't looking for one they were everywhere!

Deutsche Optik may have them.

Corto

A-List Customer
nobodyspecial said:
Anybody have a knife collection?
I do, actually.

In terms of "vintage knives", I have a WWI-era German bayonet and a WWII-era and a spike bayonet for a Lee-Enfield.

In the "vintage reproduction" catagory, I have a WWII-style Kukhri, EK commando knife (with cord wrapped handle) and Ka-Bar. (I also have a Syrian dagger someone brought me back from said country and a stag horn-handled Scottish Sgian Dubh. Guess I had more knives than I thought...)

Brand new knives, I have a matte-black Camillus Ka-Bar, a simple Leatherman and a couple Gerber multi-tools floating around somewhere.

The Camillus Ka-Bar is something I use for everything from opening boxes to doing simple around the house tasks...It really is indispensable, as is the Gerber multi-tool. If I was going camping, I'd take the Ka-Bar for major, unforeseen cutting tasks (and hammering those tent-pegs in), and I never take a walk out in to the woods without a multi-tool. The multi-tool is something I never leave home without anyways. One for the car, one for the daypack, etc.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Corto said:

Guess I had more knives than I thought...

The Camillus Ka-Bar is something I use for everything from opening boxes to doing simple around the house tasks...It really is indispensable, as is the Gerber multi-tool. If I was going camping, I'd take the Ka-Bar for major, unforeseen cutting tasks (and hammering those tent-pegs in), and I never take a walk out in to the woods without a multi-tool. The multi-tool is something I never leave home without anyways. One for the car, one for the daypack, etc.

Ain't that always the truth. They seem to follow me home and breed in the drawers.

You've reminded me to check on my old Ka-Bar. Gave it to a buddy to make a sheath for me. Time to get it back. That thing has as much time in the Marine Corps as I do. :D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thanks for the tips, Alan. I think I'll have to keep watching OFAS. The prices at Silverman's and Soldier of Fortune are a bit steep, not to mention SoF says of theirs that "picture shows a unissued Khaki but one supplied will be green blancoed." $40 US plus the shipping across the pond is a bit much for a canvas pouch! lol

Carebear, I still have my original issued Camillus, too. It sort of found it's way into my bag when I checked out. It's good to be friends with the supply sergeant, since a radium dial watch accompanied it. :D I got a Ka-Bar later, and much prefer it to the Camillus. The round grip on the Camillus slips too easily while you're hacking on brush or doing heavy duty cutting, but the oval grip of the Ka-Bar stays put properly. Since I got the Ka-Bar, I couldn't even tell you where the Camillus is! I always know where the Ka-Bar is, though.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I don't have any vintage knives, but I do seem to be accumulating more knives each year. Lately my weakness is for alox scaled Swiss Army Knives. I just bought Victorinox Cadets in Olive and Orange. A Ka-Bar is on my short list of knives to purchase. I also have several knives by Grohman, Mora and more many more SAK's along with Leatheman tools for every day of the week.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Thanks for the tips, Alan. I think I'll have to keep watching OFAS. The prices at Silverman's and Soldier of Fortune are a bit steep, not to mention SoF says of theirs that "picture shows a unissued Khaki but one supplied will be green blancoed." $40 US plus the shipping across the pond is a bit much for a canvas pouch! lol

It's worth while checking regularly as SoF stock changes all the time (but they don't always update their website). Silverman's is expensive - I call them 'London prices'. A lot of the 37 Pattern webbing that is sold is actually modern Indian repro stuff. Some of it is good apart from the metal. It's cheaper than originals, but you still face the shipping charge. I'll keep a look out for one for you. If I see one cheaper I'll get in touch.

Alan

ukali1066

Practically Family
Here's my knife, I got it about 10 years ago at Newark antique fair for £6, I don't know the age of it but it's got a great thick sturdy blade.

knife.jpg

knife1.jpg

knife2.jpg

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I like that style of knife a good deal, but have yet to find one in an antique store that suits me. Knife collecting seems to be popular, I frequently come across knives on ebay selling for a good deal of money.

kenji

New in Town
Where do you get a custom sheath made for a Kabar? I'm in need of LH sheaths for all of my knives.

I like my Kabar but can't see actually carrying it. I carry a smaller knife for cutting tasks and would use a stone if I needed a makeshift hammer.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kenji said:
Where do you get a custom sheath made for a Kabar? I'm in need of LH sheaths for all of my knives.

I like my Kabar but can't see actually carrying it. I carry a smaller knife for cutting tasks and would use a stone if I needed a makeshift hammer.

I'd google for sheath makers or custom leather workers in Jersey.

A Kabar is about as big a knife as I find comfortable carrying. If I need a sword I'm doing something wrong. :D

CatFisH

New in Town
JRE Industries for custom knife leather...they can make any style sheath you would like...good guys to deal with

http://www.jreindustries.com/

I have a few custom and production knives...

Red Alox Pioneer
RedAloxPioneer1R.jpg

Iissaka Jarvenpaa with Birch bark handle from Finland
IJAitopuukko2R.jpg

Gene Ingram custom Sodbuster
IngramSodbuster1R.jpg

Charles May Skifa with S30V steel and Stellar's Sea Cow bone handle
blade5R.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
These were standard wear for Boy Scouts in the 40s, 50s and probably into the 60s. William Rodgers made a ton of them. It used to seem that half the teenage boys in England carried one. This is early and a nice one. The really fancy Rodgers sheath knives had a deer's foot as a grip.

Alan

ukali1066 said:
Here's my knife, I got it about 10 years ago at Newark antique fair for £6, I don't know the age of it but it's got a great thick sturdy blade.

knife.jpg

knife1.jpg

knife2.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mark, a few of us have owned that jacket including myself. It really does look great! Be careful if you get one and decide to wash it - they really shrink a lot. Also, the cotton fabric is really light and not quite substantial enough for true outdoor use. I've been thinking of modifying my Ralph Lauren safari jacket to include some cartridge loops like the Kalahari jacket has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner