Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Baggers

Practically Family
LordJohnRoxton said:
I understand that the British officer's ammunition boots are too thin for heavy outdoor use.... I was hoping for something that I could wear with leather gaiters...

Well, you got me there. I have a pair of those from his first run, and thin would have not been the description I would use. That style was narrow in the last and the tongue was the same thick leather as the rest of the boot. They are currently sitting in the closet awaiting to be sold off.

If you're looking for a boot to actually use, might I suggest his (or anyone else's for that matter) U.S. Type 1 garrison shoe? They're a similar style and color to the ammo boot but have a rubber heel and half sole that will be much more comfortable and give better traction than the slick leather sole and metal heel irons of the british boot. Trust me, hobnails and heel irons are not a good idea on smooth polished surfaces. :eek:

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
Well, you got me there. I have a pair of those from his first run, and thin would have not been the description I would use. That style was narrow in the last and the tongue was the same thick leather as the rest of the boot. They are currently sitting in the closet awaiting to be sold off.

If you're looking for a boot to actually use, might I suggest his (or anyone else's for that matter) U.S. Type 1 garrison shoe? They're a similar style and color to the ammo boot but have a rubber heel and half sole that will be much more comfortable and give better traction than the slick leather sole and metal heel irons of the british boot. Trust me, hobnails and heel irons are not a good idea on smooth polished surfaces. :eek:

Cheers!
I wish the WPG garrison shoe were as thick as your ammo boots! I've been afraid to that my garrison boots would rip if I put them to any real use. That's one reason that Mike K. and I were discussing cutting down a pair of modern Corcorans. My Corcoran Maruaders are tough as nails, but black boots when I'm off duty just ain't my style :D I'd love a garrison shoe that I could wear like any other boots.

I haven't had any experience with other types of garrison shoe, but no matter where they come from, they're always a bit expensive to wear in the bush. My garrison shoes are reserved for re-enactments exclusively. I'd like to hear reviews of other vendor's boots, though.

EDIT: I see that WWII Impressions still carries the Corcoran boot in the garrison shoe height for $150. I may have to pay a visit to Juan and try a pair of those on!

200136profile.JPG

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
I see that WWII Impressions still carries the Corcoran boot in the garrison shoe height for $150. I may have to pay a visit to Juan and try a pair of those on!
If you do, let us know how they are. Since most decent hiking or work boots run $80-150, I don't have an issue spending that money on garrison shoes but I do want them to be up to the task. Heck, they were originally used in combat and a good reproduction should be just as tough. I'm wondering if you thoroughly wet the thinner boots and then heat them (like in a microwave), if the leather will shrink down and thicken. I know this sounds really harsh but trust me, I've done this before with other leather items and it works. A lot of our gear, especially boots, can be subjected to far more abuse than we give it credit for. Mojave, those black boots can be completely soaked in a 25-50% bleach solution for several days, then scrubbed with a plastic bristle brush while still wet. It will remove the black finish and you can then re-dye with Fiebing's leather dye to brown, russet, or whatever color you choose.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
If you do, let us know how they are. Since most decent hiking or work boots run $80-150, I don't have an issue spending that money on garrison shoes but I do want them to be up to the task. Heck, they were originally used in combat and a good reproduction should be just as tough. I'm wondering if you thoroughly wet the thinner boots and then heat them (like in a microwave), if the leather will shrink down and thicken. I know this sounds really harsh but trust me, I've done this before with other leather items and it works. A lot of our gear, especially boots, can be subjected to far more abuse than we give it credit for. Mojave, those black boots can be completely soaked in a 25-50% bleach solution for several days, then scrubbed with a plastic bristle brush while still wet. It will remove the black finish and you can then re-dye with Fiebing's leather dye to brown, russet, or whatever color you choose.
I'll definately post a review if I get down there to try them on. I'm just about done ordering shoes via mail. I keep getting hit but hard with shipping fees (no comments from you, Nick!), so I'm going to stick with known brands and sizes or something I can actually try on.

I may try your trick on some other boots, but until I retire, at least, I still need my Corcorans to be black. They are Maruaders, too, though, so the cordura would be black no matter what I do. They're still some of the most comfortable boots I have, though, so if Juan's are true to Corcoran sizes and fit, I can confidently order them online. Still, I'd rather just go down there and try a pair on. I don't think he's open on Saturdays, however.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Actually if you bleach Marauders, the black finish will loosen up and the cordura will turn a rusty-brown color from the bleach.

Drive to Juan's tomorrow!!!:D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I'd love to! But I think work would wonder where I am...

I'll keep your suggestion for my Marauders in mind, but until I retire, I need them to stay black! In the meantime, though, a set of service shoes would be nice for daily wear. I usually have on vibram-soled boots, and I track rocks all over house.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Finally!

The Barbour Twill Trooper!

Here's the back. There's action pleats behind the shoulder, but you can barely see them in this photo because they lay nice and flat.

The front has both buttons and a zipper, both are very heavy duty.

The front open:

BTW, that's my Ralph Lauren safari shirt, the best safari shirt I've ever owned, but I digress! Here's the inside lining:

This jacket is very tough and well made. All of the stitches, brass buttons, and zips are heavy duty. Also, the tailoring is great. It fits as if it were made for me. This is coming to Venice with me in May.

The D.A.

Familiar Face
Hem, that jacket looks fantastic! I've been thinking about getting one myself, but I wanted to see your pictures first. Two questions:

1. Is it true to size, or is it oversized for wear over layers?

2. Is it made in the UK?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Sharp jacket, Hem! That should serve you well in your travels. I look forward to your pics from Venice. To where else are you and Miss Daisy off? Are you going to concentrate on Venice or travel around a bit? I always vacillate between going as many places as I can and just staying in one place and enjoying it more fully.

And, hey! You're only making fists in one picture this time!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The D.A. said:
Hem, that jacket looks fantastic! I've been thinking about getting one myself, but I wanted to see your pictures first. Two questions:

1. Is it true to size, or is it oversized for wear over layers?

2. Is it made in the UK?
Hello D.A. Thanks for the positive comments! It's not the least bit oversized I am an off-the-rack 42L and this is a L.

It doesn't say where it was made, but as far as I know, all Barbours are made in the UK except for those made by a separate license in NZ, but those are only waxed cotton jackets.

Jack, I thought you would like it! We're going to Rome, Florence, then Venice for two weeks, so it should be quite the trip. I cannot wait; just a little over a month now.

Yes, the fists, that's the Hemingway pose, a man of action!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
The Barbour Twill Trooper!

Here's the back. There's action pleats behind the shoulder, but you can barely see them in this photo because they lay nice and flat.

The front has both buttons and a zipper, both are very heavy duty.

The front open:

BTW, that's my Ralph Lauren safari shirt, the best safari shirt I've ever owned, but I digress! Here's the inside lining:

This jacket is very tough and well made. All of the stitches, brass buttons, and zips are heavy duty. Also, the tailoring is great. It fits as if it were made for me. This is coming to Venice with me in May.

I'm confused. Is this the jacket you were all excited about, or was it the BR one?

drjones

A-List Customer
jacket makes the man

you have impeccable taste my friend! LOVE the jacket. I wouldnt mind picking one up for me. :)

DRJONES

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Hi Hemingway,

Great looking jacket. I used to have similar looking jacket from Camel Trophy but it fell apart after lots of use. Now I can see how to replace that void it caused with it's demise.

Looks good on you, too.

On another note have just found a great "fade to glory" sand/khaki twill shirt in Walmart while on vacation and with the exchange rate this makes it £6, now that's good value also it's thick material and has washed well. I also got one in stone and one if green. Not very vintage but suits the safari look I tend to wear.

KR

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Several "newish" things at Kakadu?

This site had some really cool stuff that seems very reasonable:
http://www.kakaduimports.com/default.asp I have seen a couple of mentions (e.g., Outerwear) but have any of you purchased their stuff and if so what is the verdict?

I especially liked their version of the trench coat which isn't so, Polo, as it were, but seems more in keeping with what I think of as a trench coat (you know, like it might be worn in, I don't know, a trench!). ;)

MJCR

One of the Regulars
skbellis said:
What you must remember with Sportsmansguide is alot of their gear is military surplus. So, you take a chance in a sense. Sizing isn't always exact and quality depends on the age, usage, and country of origin of the item. For example, most items from Eastern Bloc countries are usually of a lower quality than the surplus items from Western Europe.

So, buying a surplus item from them can be an adventure in itself. Personally, I have found their customer service very accomodating. Often times if I complain about an item they will allow me to keep it and they will send out a replacement as well if I like.

Cheers,

---Scott

Sorry skbellis, I used the wrong quote button on my response to a different post and accidentally commented on the Sportsman's guide post.! Apologies for the confusion and I'll re-do the post.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
mtechthang said:
This site had some really cool stuff that seems very reasonable:
http://www.kakaduimports.com/default.asp I have seen a couple of mentions (e.g., Outerwear) but have any of you purchased their stuff and if so what is the verdict?

I especially liked their version of the trench coat which isn't so, Polo, as it were, but seems more in keeping with what I think of as a trench coat (you know, like it might be worn in, I don't know, a trench!). ;)

I bought the shoulder bag from Kakadu but, to be honest, it was pretty poor quality and not a particularly great design. I like the look of some of their other products, but I wouldn't buy anything else unless I could see it in person.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
drjones said:
you have impeccable taste my friend! LOVE the jacket. I wouldnt mind picking one up for me. :)

DRJONES
Thanks, DrJones! I can't wait to see your LL Bean Jacket, if you decide to go that route!

Mr. Godfrey said:
Hi Hemingway,

Great looking jacket. I used to have similar looking jacket from Camel Trophy but it fell apart after lots of use. Now I can see how to replace that void it caused with it's demise.

Looks good on you, too.

KR
Thank you, My Friend. I really love this jacket. I only wish it would warm up so I could wear it!

BellyTank said:
Nice jacket, Mr. Jones.
Ahh... the fists.
Lucky you have cuff buttons, so you can get those bad boys through.

B
T
Thanks, BT! You know me and the fists. I'm like a comic book character! :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy