Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

NelsAnderson

New in Town
AlanC said:
FYI, our local TJ Maxx has some wood frame with canvas folding chairs similar to this for around $60. I don't know the brand, but they seemed pretty nice. I'm tempted to grab one.

Interesting, I didn't know TJ Maxx sold furniture,thought they were all clothing...if it really is similar it would be worth a look. Darn, they don't have any kind of online catalog though so I'd have to trek down to the actual store...

jhxkcd

New in Town
Mojave Jack said:
That chair doesn't look too bad, Nels. Sometimes I like the blend of the old and the new if it offers something useful, like the side table. As long as the polyester webbing isn't too bad, I'd use those chairs. Incidentally, I'm not sure how historically accurate it is (though they claim it is an exact copy of an original), but Lewis & Drake offer a similar chair....for $640!

thumb.jpg

On the Roorkhee chair, I showed them to my neighbor, who is a good woodworker, and currently on disability because a jackhammer exploded and sent shrapnel into his leg. I'm trying to talk him into doing some side business in things like these. I'll do the marketing side of things, and we work on the chairs and such together, as I have time and as his leg allows him. If Lewis & Drake is still in business (much like J.L. Powell!) selling those things at that price, surely there is a market (like us!) for a more affordable version. I've really been debating buying one, taking all the measurements I need to reproduce it, and returning it. That goes for both the Roorkhee chair and the Lewis & Drake sling chair. I'm just not having any luck finding the plans or the parts. For the sling chair, I've found the brass swivel and the stays, but I think the S- and Y-shaped plates would have to be custom fabricated. That would not be difficult, however, and I have a place locally that does very affordable canvas and leather work.

I know my opinion probably holds no weight here, but for GOD'S SAKE MAN, do this. I would buy whatever you had to offer.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
DSCN3484.jpg

BellyTank said:
Hi, Dan.

Closest thing I can find is item# 390056137712 on eBay.
The ones I have are WW1 pattern but used in WW2.
They are very shapeless and baggy, I like that.
The eBay vendor I got them from has disappeared(HKK).

If you don't need white, there are other options in HBT cloth,
from other German repro vendors.

I'll keep looking, I'm sure I've seen them elsewhere.

B
T

BT: Again, Thanks for the heads-up. I just recently put a bit on a pair that Chen is offering. They do look a lot like the Old Town/Tin House high waisted trousers. I may be able to pull a look like that off with a good navy sweater. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
orfords1.jpg

I figure that if I'm not thrilled with the off white I can always try and dye them something else to suit me too.

Cheers!

Dan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The "natural" colour(although it probably isn't) is nice but I put mine in the machine with an old British khaki bush jacket- gave them a bit of a very faded khaki hue. Dan, those (Chen) trousers should allow plenty of room for strategic tailoring, just to tweak them, if necessary. They will probably be quite shapeless, compared to the Tin House example.

Old Town/Tin House strike a great aesthetic with their combinations of cut, colour and texture. I have their High Rise trousers in "tan", which is slowly fading toward khaki.

B
T

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Swiss water bottle/ canteen

Just received my Swiss canteen / water bottle with cup that I won on ebay for $7.99. It is 1983 dated and a very nice piece of kit. It is made by Sigg and seems to be lined the same as their civilian water bottles. I really regret not picking these up when Sportsmansguide had them. The only downside is having to be careful how you carry it so that the cork does not come loose. Does anyone know what the original Swiss canteen covers may have looked like? And what is the nob on the top of the canteen cup for?

Cheers,

Scott

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
The "natural" colour(although it probably isn't) is nice but I put mine in the machine with an old British khaki bush jacket- gave them a bit of a very faded khaki hue. Dan, those (Chen) trousers should allow plenty of room for strategic tailoring, just to tweak them, if necessary. They will probably be quite shapeless, compared to the Tin House example.

Old Town/Tin House strike a great aesthetic with their combinations of cut, colour and texture. I have their High Rise trousers in "tan", which is slowly fading toward khaki.

B
T

Well that sounds perfect. I can take them in about the same time as some other items.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, I won the off white HBT trousers. They should be here in about two weeks. The shirt I won should be here fairly soon. I'll be sure to post pics & comments when I have them all together.

Cheers!

Dan

Gijoe

A-List Customer
skbellis said:
And what is the nob on the top of the canteen cup for?

Cheers,

Scott

you have a loop at the cord, pull those over the nop and the canteen does not slip out of the cup.
We used this typ cantten before 1989 in the Swiss Army, a bad thing !
Much too small. Sometimes a tank rolled over it , shhhhhhhh and a happy soldier got one of the new larger plastic canteens.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Swiss canteen

GIJoe,

Thanks for the response, now it makes sense. Yes, I thought it was sort of on the small side for a canteen, but it is a classic style. The one I purchased is from 1983. What does the Swiss mess kit look like? Currently my 2 favourite mess kits are my 1945 British Aluminium 2 piece kit and a 1954 dated 3 piece French mess kit.

Cheers,

Scott

H.Johnson

One Too Many
If you don't mind an interjection from H Johnson himself, the military bush jacket that I have given to BT is not khaki, it is 'stone' and is the current issue British Army No.6 Bush Jacket. It is in a fine-woven poplin that dries quickly and is reasonably windproof. The sizes are standard NATO military in metric, listing the height first, followed by the chest, then the waist. A 180/100/80 would be for someone six feet tall, forty inch chest and thirty inch waist. They are a trim military fit, but given the fact that there are more than ten different sizes you are highly likely to find a jacket to fit. Usually they don't come with buttons and buckle, but they are easily sourced. There is also a short-sleeved version, and don't forget the matching trousers, shorts and shirt (long and short sleeved). You should be able to get a full tropical outfit (long and short sleeved jacket, long and short sleeved shirt, shorts and trousers) for less than 40GBP.

I wouldn't claim them as 'H Johnson sourced', by the way - they are usually available in the best military surplus shops!

Creeping Past said:
Speaking of khaki bush jackets, BT, what are your thoughts on the H Johnson-sourced modern bush jackets? Fabric, fit, etc.

BTW - this is covered on the 'Bush Jackets' thread on Outerwear.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Safari Footwear

Since this thread has been quiet for a couple of days, time to start it up again. When I first posted some photos of my collection along the fringes was one set of footwear and more recently I've added another pair.

boots.jpg

Both come from Tag Safari:

http://www.tagsafari.com

The boots on the left are simply called the "Tag Safari Boot" and are made in Africa from cape buffalo skin. That makes them fit the safari theme I'm interested in. I've had them for a couple months now and off the shelf they've been comfortable and sized correctly. Though I'm not the most adventurous hiker I've put some mileage on them and have been satisfied.

The other pair are desert boots, safari boots, vellies or veldskoene depending on who you ask. I used to wear these all the time way back in high school and simply referred to them as "shoes"...having no idea of the origin. They have thick soles but soft uppers giving little support. Though sold by Tag Safari the label inside the shoes says "Bata" which seems to be an Italian company. Not that Italian shoes were bad but I was really hoping for African. I don't really find these all that comfortable for walking long distance...I wonder how they were used originally?

By the way, the background I've used in all these photos is also part of my safari themed collection...anyone recognize what it is?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
A dollar to the person who can find me this hat!
Matt - send a PM to RBH, he has/had one of these hats and might be able to provide some useful information. I talked with him awhile back about the same hat.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I was wearing mine yesterday.
French, from eBay, some years ago.
Khaki cotton twill, leatherette sweat.

They are (mine is) fully lined in thin cork, brim and crown.
I picked out the cork from the crown of mine.
It looks nicely battered and shapeless now.

I can't find any online.:(

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
It could be an easy one to have made from canvas or twill. The four-panel crown construction's not hard to fathom. Meanwhile, I've already asked a hat-making friend whether she can work out if it's possible. I'll report back.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
If it's a 59cm one may I have it, please? Otherwise, can I pm you and ask for its dimensions, as my friend is working on a pattern for a version of same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo