Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Don't forget the Volcano storm kettle/flask. Brew up quick sharp with twigs, moss or grass...

A September trip, eh? When is it? Would Ausländers be wilkomen aus den Bergen? Excuse my poorly-remembered German.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Sigg reintroduced the oval bottle with the metal cup a couple of years ago. It's the same as the classic one, only with a modern cap versus the cork stopper.

For a stove, it's hard to beat a Borde Bomb.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Gijoe said:
My Cap with the Edelweiss. A civilan Edelweiss not Gebirgsjäger

For Coocking i have WWII Coleman Stove , but it is not necessary for a one day Trip.
The wool Socks are Homemade from my Girlfriends Mother.
My "WWII Impressions" US Service Shoes have many miles under the soles. There is very good shoes, a good option to Hobnail Boots. A problem of vintage shoes is, you get wet foots. I have always spare wool !! Socks in the Backpack.

We make in September a Mountain Trip with more people.
Reenactors from all epochs , and peoples from the Retro Scene.
I was surprised over the large interest !!
To time is a tendence to more active events. Reenactors want no more hang around a weekend in a " Plastic Camp".Many reenactoren have also interest on civilian "impressions "
Here the pics from my last week Trip
http://picasaweb.google.com/VEREINBRO/RealpGoschenen0206091928?feat=directlink

In September we make the same Route, i hope without Snow :D

Homemade socks? That's just too cool.
I like the anorak in this shot. Where did you find that one?
WA.jpg

Looks like you have a US GI mechanics sweater in some of those shots too. Very well done. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
In some of your pictures the area looks like a lake in a volcano.

It's a shame there isn't more vintage hiking going on on this side of the pond that I could see. Of course in California it is all Gortex & fleece. Anyone in the States do this kind of hiking? Is it more prevalent in other parts of the Country that I haven't been exposed to as of yet?

Cheers!

Dan

Gijoe

A-List Customer
The Anorak is a swedish Arctic Parka. You can find it from time to time on ebay.uk. I replaced the nylon cords with cotton cords.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swedish-Army-SNOW-PARKA-4-Shooting-Stalking-XL-XXL-T644_W0QQitemZ260395098544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE?hash=item3ca0c1e1b0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Here a few pics from climbing on the " Eiger Nordwand" 1938.
Some of the mountain climbers wears Army Snow Anoraks and windproof trousers.

2-eiger-erstesbiwak-voerg.jpg

eiger_erstbesteigung.jpg

a3e69ef6ff95a34dad7303cbf0c3da14_image_document_large_featured_borderless.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Great photos, GI.

Daniel, I've got a cotton one in blue and one in rust-brown khaki linen/cotton mix. I'd be interested to know about yours (fit, fabric, etc.), just for comparison.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Yes, I got both from the same Chinese seller, but it was over a year ago and I'm sorry to say I've forgotten which one. *

The blue one's okay quality cotton and construction, but I've lost weight and now it's too big. But it looks okay worn with the collar open and a cravat/neckerchief. The linen/cotton mix one is great quality and construction.

I'd have liked them a couple of inches longer, but they wear fine with high-waisted trousers (as they're meant to). They ride up when worn with jeans.

I can recommend the Aertex-style shirt currently available in limited sizes from Battledress and Bayonet (Ebay). These are also pullover shirts and they wear well in hot weather. Mine's an issued shirt and it's got a lot of marks from storage and some snags, but it's fine otherwise and does the job perfectly well. Also, as with the Luft-shirts, no one else is wearing them. That's always a plus.

* EDIT: BT's knows; see below.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
How about a WW2-era (perhaps a bit earlier) U.S. Navy or Marine tropical uniform? A nice bush style jacket. Heavy duty cotton twill.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

The only jacket button it had.
005.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Mr. Creeping, I think your shirts were from Barrylyndon...etc.
He has the cotton/linen.

I have a few similar "German" shirts from a vendor in Germany.

B
T

BT: That vendor would be Spearhead Militaria, correct?

I just received some confirmation on the shirt & some questions from Ant-Z. Chen seems to be fairly thorough. I may have to buy some of the pants that he is offering, they're exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the referral in that direction BT, most appreciated.

Cheers!

Dan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
How about a WW2-era (perhaps a bit earlier) U.S. Navy or Marine tropical uniform? A nice bush style jacket. Heavy duty cotton twill.

Mr. Thunder- is that an eBay purchase?
I bought a vintage, American khaki service jacket from eBay a while back
which has an air of vintage USN but it has a peaked lapel.
The jacket has a lot of hand stitching and seems more like a costume piece than a service piece. The"pleats" in the inverted pleat breast pockets are fake and so is the box pleat in the back.
Even more peculiar is that it has the same* "Thompson" stencil mark inside.

You can see it here:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25917&highlight=Can+You+Identify+this+Military+Jacket?

B
T

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thunder...nice one!!

Will - that's a lovely jacket. I'd be replacing those buttons anyway (I'm sure that would be your intention) with possibly leather ones. A matching belt would look great with that baby!

Never thought I'd start considering getting a bush jacket! that's this place for you [huh] You guys cast a line out into the water and every so often I just 'bite' that hook!!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Mr. Thunder- is that an eBay purchase?
I bought a vintage, American khaki service jacket from eBay a while back
which has an air of vintage USN but it has a peaked lapel.
The jacket has a lot of hand stitching and seems more like a costume piece than a service piece. The"pleats" in the inverted pleat breast pockets are fake and so is the box pleat in the back.
Even more peculiar is that it has the same* "Thompson" stencil mark inside.

You can see it here:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25917&highlight=Can+You+Identify+this+Military+Jacket?

B
T

They look like they're from the same pattern. I think you've got a match.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes, I use one regularly, with a modified Esbit stove to fit its narrow cup.

Works OK.

nobodyspecial said:
Sigg reintroduced the oval bottle with the metal cup a couple of years ago. It's the same as the classic one, only with a modern cap versus the cork stopper.

For a stove, it's hard to beat a Borde Bomb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters