Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Super! Thanks a bunch BT, most appreciated. The barrylyndon28 one I think is Spearhead Militaria. I like their stuff & super fast shipping. I got one of their black Panzer M43 caps a while back. makes a great cool weather hat.

Cheers!

Dan

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes, I agree about the fit and pattern (probably made frm photographs), but I'm interested in the material he had his 1044 Pattern stuff made from, which looked (from photographs, admittedly) a lot more accurate.

Panzerfaust is in Kowloon, near to where I work when I am there. I have spoken to him on the 'phone and had arranged to visit him last September but a typhoon intervened. I still have his details, I think, and could try to meet him in September.

I'll be in Singapore and Malaysia again in November (a chance to give my tropical 'jungle gear' a good work-out) so I could meet Barrylyndon.

I haven't had personal experience of Pirshen's stuff but from photographs it looks to be among the best. Is he in Shanghai? I expect to go there next year. Those Italian OTH jackets are something else, aren't they?

BellyTank said:
Yes.
But I found all his stuff ill-fitting/non-fitting, especially the jackets.
I found that the olive green DAK trousers were not very high-waisted but
it seems, by looking at other examples, that they were perhaps, not so high.

Pirshen1975 seems to be on the right track, as to correct, 70-years-ago construction and fitting. See his Italian jackets, very nice.
I arranged to meet him in Shanghai a couple of years ago, to do business but when we were there, he couldn't make it.

Re visiting: what about the others, Panzerfaust and Chinesemoonday(?),
et al?

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Pirschen, Chen, is not in Shanghai but he did offer to take the bus,
600km from where he was, to meet me.

So, 600km from Shanghai but can't remember the city. SW from S'hai,
I would guess.

Some of his stuff probably isn't so good but he's trying very hard on the Italian uniforms.
He seems able and willing to do the 1930s era "tailoring" that we would expect.
Jackets from HKK tend to be sacks with low/deep cut/set sleeves.
I think maybe HKK got himself in trouble.

Yes, I like most of the Italian gear. The Sahariana style especially but the two Grigio-verde jackets/tunics that Chen does look very nice- did you see that one of them has a "game pouch" to the rear?

B
T

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hey BT: What are these short pocket watch chains called typically?
DSCN3461.jpg

DSCN3498.jpg

I'd like to be able to find that variant for my 1886 Waltham. I currently have a graduated Albert Chain for my vests, but ti seems excessively long for the watch kept in the trousers.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Gijoe said:
Another Trip in the Swiss Mountains.
A walk to "St. Gotthard " 2091m 6860 ft.
2008/09 was a winter with much snow. The old street is still closed for traffic.
Some passages where a bit dangerous.
I need Ice Creepers !
More Pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/VEREINBRO/StGotthard0806091806?feat=directlink

Great gear you have GiJoe. Think you could give us a breakdown of the items? I really like the sweater, is it original or reproduction?
Where are you at in these photos in relation to St. Gotthard (north, south, east or west)? In one of the photos where you're wearing the windproof mountain jacket, is that a bunker in the background or just a wall?
Thank you for sharing & welcome to the Lounge, glad to have you here.

Cheers!

Dan

Gijoe

A-List Customer
Thanks.
- German Panzer Cap
- Breton Shirt
- Dark Grey Army ? Wool Sweater. I bougth it for 3.50$ in a Army Surplus Store.
- German Panzer Trouser
- Rusette Service Shoes
- Gebirgsjäger Anorak-
- Swedish backpack
- Swiss Army Snow shoes.

The first Pics are from Gotthard South. The Pic with the Mountain Jacket is Gotthard Hospiz ( the highest Point) , the last ones are from the north side
The Gotthard is armed with Bunkers from all times.
It was a stratecic important point in Europe.

Today I bought a pair US Army WWII Ice Creepers on ebay, for future Mountain Adventures.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
ADVENTURE CLOTHING and GEAR

I was just watching Peter Jackson's King Kong and admiring the clothing. I have yet to see Asutralia, but the clothing there seems great too ( I really like Hugh Jackman's hat!!!! Anyone know what it is? modified Akubra ?)

I have always like how they dressed in the 30s and 40s, even for adventure.
Where do you guys find the stuff that fits that bill?

I was able to get two pairs of Swedish wool skiing pants and four pair of military trousers a while back (though I have to go back down to a 33 waist!)

The pants back then had a higher waist, which I think looks better.

Also the shoes, or boots, without the big rubber lug soles or the "sneaker" look.

My favorite shirts are the Cabellas Serengeti Safari, but pants seem more difficult to find.

I have an Akubra Territory that I have been trying to modify a bit from the stock, overly down-bent brim.

I like to explore and Jeep, but don't like the "just out of bed" clown-shorts, ragged t-shirt, flip flop look. Neither do I like looking like I'm earing a costume.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Well

The above post by me was relocated from elsewhere, so sorry for the redundancy of my post.

I didn't know this one was here until I was redirected by one of the moderators.

Hello!
:eek:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Gijoe said:
Thanks.
- German Panzer Cap
- Breton Shirt
- Dark Grey Army ? Wool Sweater. I bougth it for 3.50$ in a Army Surplus Store.
- German Panzer Trouser
- Rusette Service Shoes
- Gebirgsjäger Anorak-
- Swedish backpack
- Swiss Army Snow shoes.

The first Pics are from Gotthard South. The Pic with the Mountain Jacket is Gotthard Hospiz ( the highest Point) , the last ones are from the north side
The Gotthard is armed with Bunkers from all times.
It was a stratecic important point in Europe.

Today I bought a pair US Army WWII Ice Creepers on ebay, for future Mountain Adventures.

Very cool! It appears that the cap has the Edelweiss pin or patch on it. Is that correct? Are the socks the mountain or tanker socks? Thank you for sharing.

Cheers!

Dan

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes. Fantastic. For my regular hillwalking I have used a WW2 British Army cape like yours since I was a teenager (50 years or so!). It stopped being waterproof some time ago, but I can't blame it! Battledress and Bayonet does a repro that looks OK, but obviously I can't speak for its effectiveness in bad weather.

I also use a replica Gebirgsjager reversible windbluse (made by a friend) and ski cap, with an original 1940s Bergan rucksack. British boots, though, and French woollen trousers.

What do you cook on, may I ask? I use a Swiss army stove/canteen/bottle combination.

We have quite a 'vintage hillwalking' thing going in the UK at the moment - it's good to see it as an international phenomenon.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Thanks

Mojave Jack said:
Hey, Joe! One more post and you'll be able to PM.

Thanks for the compliment! Do you mean the hat in my avatar? It is an Australian issue slouch. I got it about 8 years ago, before I started learning about the value of different and better felts. Art blocked it like Robert Redford's in Out of Africa, and he told me it is some wool/fur blend. I wear it a lot now that it's cooler (a lot cooler today; it's snowing! In the desert!!), but I avoid it completely in anything over about 60 degrees. If I am exerting myself at all, it is just too hot. I plan to replace it with an Akubra Imperial Grade slouch sometime. It's still one of my favorites, and stays on my head better than my Akubra Flinders if it is windy, which is every other day here!

Sorry for the late "Thanks", but thanks! I've haven't been around for awhile and just noticed your reply.

Thanks!

Gijoe

A-List Customer
My Cap with the Edelweiss. A civilan Edelweiss not Gebirgsjäger

For Coocking i have WWII Coleman Stove , but it is not necessary for a one day Trip.
The wool Socks are Homemade from my Girlfriends Mother.
My "WWII Impressions" US Service Shoes have many miles under the soles. There is very good shoes, a good option to Hobnail Boots. A problem of vintage shoes is, you get wet foots. I have always spare wool !! Socks in the Backpack.

We make in September a Mountain Trip with more people.
Reenactors from all epochs , and peoples from the Retro Scene.
I was surprised over the large interest !!
To time is a tendence to more active events. Reenactors want no more hang around a weekend in a " Plastic Camp".Many reenactoren have also interest on civilian "impressions "
Here the pics from my last week Trip
http://picasaweb.google.com/VEREINBRO/RealpGoschenen0206091928?feat=directlink

In September we make the same Route, i hope without Snow :D

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Then more power to your elbow, as we say. I love Switzerland. It's good to see vintage walking is alive and well there.

I can recommend two items of Swiss gear - one is the large 'corrugated' bottle/cup/cooker combo (a good alternative to a Trangia as it's more versatile) and the other is the small eliptical bottle and cup, such as the old version in BT's photos. Excellent kit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou