Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

RBH

Bartender
Creeping Past said:
If it's a 59cm one may I have it, please? Otherwise, can I pm you and ask for its dimensions, as my friend is working on a pattern for a version of same.
Please PM and I will try later to get the dimensions for you. Mine fits my 60cm head pretty good.
One thing I would do is make the crown a little higher.

I will be out most of the rest of the day but I will be glad to try and help you.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Mojave Jack said:
Don't paint it?! It's zebra stripes, actually, something like this:

RockadileRear.jpg

Love those Willys!!! Right now I have a '97 TJ that I did the Zebra job on. I used to have a CJ7 painted like that as well. Both were used in foreign commercials and photo shoots done in South Florida.

I did the paintjob by spray painting the Jeep white, drawing out the lines with a sharpee, and drawing an "X" on the ones that would be black. Then I proceeded to mask it off and spray painted it black. I need to redo it due to a lot of wear and tear, and this time I'm putting a clearcoat over it except for the hood square which is to stop the reflections (makes a nice difference).

I have been considering a change to a desert tan theme, but I like the zebra look a LOT!
Here are a couple of pics.

BeachJeep5.jpg

BeachJeep3.jpg

Photo53a.jpg

ZebraRun.jpg

InZebra.jpg

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
Talk about timing... I snapped this picture for this thread yesterday morning at breakfast. This was parked out in front of the resturant.

3695106850_07979d86b0_o.jpg

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
Kelly stoves

A few folks mentioned that they were looking for this style stove on the US side of the pond. Garrett-Wade tool company offers this and many other vintage, and vintage-esque tools, and other items. Just my .02

CH

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Havana Joe said:
Love those Willys!!! Right now I have a '97 TJ that I did the Zebra job on. I used to have a CJ7 painted like that as well. Both were used in foreign commercials and photo shoots done in South Florida.

That zebra paint job looks great! In the snow it almost works as camouflage. You've even got the snorkel to blend in with striping, nicely done.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
outstanding, Joe! Now that's what I'm going for! :eusa_clap

Nice looking one, too, Gutshot. Did you get a chance to talk to the driver?

I haven't done much with the Willys lately, beyond adding an old German oxygen bottle box to the bed. It's like a big glove box that I can lock. I strapped it to the footman loops with zip ties, so I can easily take it out when I need to.

Nels, our new Conservation Law Enforcement Officer started about two weeks ago, and he has a Series IIa. I think it is a '68. Does that jibe? He rhinolined the entire thing, inside and out. I had a pic in my phone, but seem to have deleted it. I'll get another soon.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Mojave Jack said:
Nels, our new Conservation Law Enforcement Officer started about two weeks ago, and he has a Series IIa. I think it is a '68. Does that jibe? He rhinolined the entire thing, inside and out. I had a pic in my phone, but seem to have deleted it. I'll get another soon.

A '68 Land Rover would certainly be a IIA, though likely the later style IIA than mine. At some vague point around then they changed from the metal dash to a plastic covered dash and moved the headlights from the breakfast to the wings giving the trucks a quite different look.

Rhinolined out the outside? That's interesting, I want to see that :)

People do interesting things...the best one was a truck I saw on eBay where the owner stripped all the paint and polished the aluminum, kind of like the way old airliners looked.

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Roorkhee chairs

The design I really like is the roorkhee chair:

Roorkhee%20khaki%20canvas%20on%20dock.jpg

These are available from a couple of sources, but again at ridiculous prices for a few sticks, a couple of belts and a piece of canvas...[/QUOTE]

I thought that perhaps you gents might like to know that a pair of (non-vintage) roorkhee chairs are for sale on UK Ebay at the moment. They might be worth a look.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've added one more piece of adventure gear to the stable, a 2006 Triumph Scrambler. It's perfect for desert riding, where roads can turn quickly from asphalt to dirt and from dirt to trails.

Scrambler.jpg

Now I'm on the hunt for some vintage riding apparel that will not make me melt in the 113 degree temps we've been hitting this week! I have my Filson tin chaps ready for cooler weather, but my cotton A-2 flaps like a sail when I'm on the highway. Gotta find something more like what Steve McQueen wore when he did his desert racing.

bonntt.jpg

c-20.jpg

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Interest

I'm thinking about getting rid of my WWII US Mountain Rucksack. I just picked up a French that fits my needs better, as well as saving towards a British Bergen (for reenactment). It's a nice piece, how rare are they? Anybody interested? It's in good shape, leather all decent. One repair made with a vintage piece of GI shirt.

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

PICT0036.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Here’s a piece of Adventurer’s Gear I wouldn’t mind having:

1946_Ford_Super_Deluxe_Marmon_Herri.jpg

Too valuable to take off road these days, but I’ve lately been dreaming about doing something similar with a ‘60 Falcon station wagon to compliment my ‘61 Futura (which will remain 2-wheel-drive, thank you very much).

-Dave

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
David Conwill said:
Here’s a piece of Adventurer’s Gear I wouldn’t mind having:

1946_Ford_Super_Deluxe_Marmon_Herri.jpg

Too valuable to take off road these days, but I’ve lately been dreaming about doing something similar with a ‘60 Falcon station wagon to compliment my ‘61 Futura (which will remain 2-wheel-drive, thank you very much).

-Dave

That is pretty awesome.

DC3

New in Town
The fly jacket on my copy of Robert Services collection is a bit worn from travel and stained from a few wet nights of camping in Maine and parts out West. The book fairly opens itself to page 29 and "The Shooting Of Dan McGrew" The opening line not only sets the stage but prods you to read on.
"A bunch of the boys were whooping it up in the Malamute saloon;"

I can just see a bunch of us boys sitting around the fire on our roorkhee chairs, hats tilted back an inch or to after a great day, three fingers of single malt in etched glass tumblers, listening to one of us read a bit of Robert Service. Ah, what a pleasant image.

The story that follows, and his poems are more like that for me, is The Cremation of Sam McGee. You will laugh so hard, scotch or not believe me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo