Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mike K.

One Too Many
You're in luck. I usually take a 7-3/8 and this puggaree is one size smaller (i.e. 7-1/4) even though it is marked as and supposed to be my size. I guess quality control in Australia doesn't check their sizing for accuracy. It's brand new, never worn, and yours for the price I paid ($20). PM me if interested.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Best of luck with that Edward. You might try the Nitro Express forum elsewhere on the internet for some leads, but most will tell you a decent "cheap" double rifle will usually start around $8000 (Chapui, Blaser, etc.). Heck, a good quality bolt action these days costs $500-$1000 new. When you get into doubles the likes of Purdey, Holland & Holland, etc. you're looking at a cost equivalent to the down-payment on a home. One reason double rifles are so expensive has to do with regulating the twin barrels so they align at nearly the same point of aim/impact. This requires a lot of diligent hand craftsmanship. Pedersoli gets around this somewhat with their Kodiak Mk.IV by using a different brazing process for joining the barrels. If you have some gunsmith skills, or know someone who does, there are a few useful internet how-to articles for converting certain side-by-side shotguns into functional double rifles for a reasonable cost.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
DanielJones said:
Well, this one finally came down in price, & they even had my size. So, I just ordered one from J. Peterman. Should be here by March 1st.
http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Items/The-Kipling-Blazer
2594.jpg

I'll post some real pics when it comes in. It reminded me of some coats that BellyTank had posted here early on that I had admired. Hopefully this will make a nice three season coat for just about any activity.
Cheers!

Dan

Nice! The price was always a sticking point, on the Peterman. If it had the belt, I'd probably break into the piggy bank, and order one.

Boatwright

New in Town
Mike K. said:
You're in luck. I usually take a 7-3/8 and this puggaree is one size smaller (i.e. 7-1/4) even though it is marked as and supposed to be my size. I guess quality control in Australia doesn't check their sizing for accuracy. It's brand new, never worn, and yours for the price I paid ($20). PM me if interested.

Thanks for the offer, but after looking at my hat against the color of your puggaree, the colors just won't go together. My hat is more brown than I had originally thought (it's been in the back of my closet for years). Do you know of any websites that sell puggarees in a khaki or brown?

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Bruce Wayne said:
Has anyone else happened to notice the new banner ad at the top of the page?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

I'm a little late on replying to this, but just wanted to add another vote for the Overland Journal. I've subscribed since the first issue and enjoyed every one of them. I'll probably never get to actually do the types of trips covered but it's great reading about them. The Classic Kit section is a favorite too, as many interesting old items have been featured.

Gummy

New in Town
Boatwright said:
Thanks for the offer, but after looking at my hat against the color of your puggaree, the colors just won't go together. My hat is more brown than I had originally thought (it's been in the back of my closet for years). Do you know of any websites that sell puggarees in a khaki or brown?

The color you see is probably not right as the background is casting the green color on the puggaree so I think it's likely that the right color is khaki. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Gummy :)

laotou

One of the Regulars
Boatwright said:
Excuse me if this has been asked before, but where can one buy a puggaree? I have a nice crusher safari hat I got from EMS that is screaming for one to be added. The narrow olive colored band it came with looks booooring.

Try these folks.
Shushan's

Shipping is by order cost and seems a tad high if you only want one.
I would give them a call to check on shipping.
I think I'll get three or four.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Jonathan,

Charles and I are in the same boat, in that we are both in England ... neither of us can PM you yet as you need to build up your post number to 15 to send or receive messages.

Speedy

Cobden

Practically Family
Boatwright said:

Maing a pugarree is very easy, and IMO, looks far better then the pre-made ones. You just need to make up a sewn strip between 1 and three inches wide in the colour of you're choosing (I use white and dyed with teabags myself) in the length you want (longer means more folds), start from the top and work down, overlapping the previous layer slightly, twisting the material at the front and back (I find it looks better if you press the twist into shape), and pin it into place at the top (and bottom if needed)...I think Lawrance Ordnace have a guide that demonstrates the twisting (can't find my camera, otherwsie I would demonstrate)...it's not as complex as it seams

OJEditor

New in Town
I didn't know about the minimum post count (should I just hit send on this one ten times . . . ?).

It's easy to contact me via email on the magazine's website.

Regards,

Jonathan

draws

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
My great uncle- Richard H. Stewart- Head photographer for the National Geographic. Some time in the '30s?

scan0001.jpg
Nice shot. A good indication of the common use of breeches and lace-up work boots by men during that period. Practically everyone wore them in the outdoors. Somewhere, I have photos of my dad on motorcycle during the
30s in the same gear. Thanks for sharing.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
What a great photograph! Dinerman, the photography is in your family DNA - I really liked your avatar before I saw your thread about the Ike jacket and realised your Dad is a pro photographer - your Uncle too! Are you following the same path of adventure photography?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Speedbird said:
What a great photograph! Dinerman, the photography is in your family DNA - I really liked your avatar before I saw your thread about the Ike jacket and realised your Dad is a pro photographer - your Uncle too! Are you following the same path of adventure photography?

You got it. My dad's a professional photographer. His dad was a professional, as were his brothers. My grandfather's father founded an architectural photography business in the '30s, while his brothers went on to be the head photographer and head lab technician for the geographic from the late '20s through early '60s.

I don't have much of a desire to follow in the family footsteps in terms of photography as a career, it is an important part of my life and of the way I view things. I'm working on burning a whole bunch of photos to disc at the moment. Somehow I've managed to take 60 GB of photos in the past six months or so, and kept putting off burning them since it takes so much time.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
So, it would seem that I am doing rather well at my estate sale expeditions. Today I found a brilliant National Carbide Lantern from 1927 with a name plaque for the Lincoln Building in New York City on it. I also found this old knife that I would like to restore. I am hoping to restore the lantern also to add to my collection of adventure gear.
102_0197.jpg

102_0183.jpg

102_0187.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo