Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Can some kind soul please point me to articles or blogs, or something of that nature on adventurers' shotguns?

I know everyone loves the massive safari rifles, but my father and brother and I were discussing styles of shotgun, over-and-under vs. side-by-side, double triggers, lever-action shotguns, etc. I was looking for details of what was actually carried by those who might be looking for adventure, or trouble. What was classic and what was notably eccentric?

Thank you in advance.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Did that go in guns instead of here? I could swear I saw gun stuff here before.

I can talk about hats instead. And my new Red Wing boots!

You might want to specify a time period for the shotgun and what area of adventuring you're considering: Africa, Asia, South America, North America, etc.

The coach gun is more of a Western vibe, although the same sawed off seems a bit more "urban adventure."

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I have heard that TR took one of the first M1903 “Springfield” military rifles to Africa when he was president - so how about a Winchester Model 1897? They acquitted themselves well in France, so it seems they’d be plenty rugged to go on safari.

-Dave

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
TR took several rifles with him to Africa in 1909. First was the previously mentioned "sporterized" 1903 Springfield. possibly the first 1903 "sporter" in existence. Secondly, he carried two of his "medicine" rifles, the Winchester 1895 lever-action rifle in .405 Winchester. He carried a classic Holland & Holland double rifle (in .550 Nitro IIRC) given to him by friends as well. He and Kermit, his son, carried others, and several pistols, but those two were the most famous.

In terms of "adventurer" guns, it was a matter of tastes and availability. The more "well-healed" gentleman adventurers chose German Mannlicher rifles. There is a great picture of Andrew Chapman holding a Mannlicher rifle in the Gobi desert in the 1930's. One purchased and used what one could afford. Ernest Hemingway smuggled a brand-new Smith & Wesson .357 magnum revolver with him while covering the Spanish Civil War.

A coach gun would be a very wise choice as an "adventurer" gun.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry to be so long-winded.

Pete

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
TR used a side by side fox double.

He carried a 12 bore to Africa, and a 16 for birds in the states. He wrote a letter to AH Fox about the quality of the shot guns of his manufacture.

The Fox is a fine weapon well thought of by gun smiths, and shooters alike (I shoot one).

The 97 was a great trench gun, but a well fitted doubles are favored by the safari crowd.

CH

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
... or trouble. What was classic and what was notably eccentric?

Thank you in advance.
I would think that Pete's note about Ernest Hemingway's choice would be the key to making a good choice. Shotguns are great for hunting, but there is nothing inconspicuous about them and carrying one precludes many other activities. Hemingway put himself in harm's way often enough to understand the benefits of a sidearm that is with you at all times and is a good example for both necessity and classic style. Unless I am traveling by air, a .357 magnum is with me at all times, and spare ammo stays in the gear bag.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
greatestescaper said:
So, it would seem that I am doing rather well at my estate sale expeditions. Today I found a brilliant National Carbide Lantern from 1927 with a name plaque for the Lincoln Building in New York City on it. I also found this old knife that I would like to restore. I am hoping to restore the lantern also to add to my collection of adventure gear.
/102_0187.jpg[/IMG]

Some interesting gear there. I'm curious about the lantern, what was that originally used for? It looks like it has a red lens in the back, was that lit or what was its function?

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Well, it seems that the red lens would share the light from the flame of the front of the lantern. It would also seem to me that this served as a sort of "for emergency purposes" or more simply as a guide. Perhaps a guard making rounds or something. Especially since it has a plaque for the Lincoln Building of Manhattan. Though, in reality these are but assumptions on my part. Perhaps there is someone here who could shed more light on the subject. (that pun was not intended)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone know where someone could buy a double rifle that is good quality but dosent kill ones saving account?

Edward

There are now a fair number of "moderately priced" working double rifles from Continental Europe in the US. In particular Chapuis and Merkel have American distributors and you can find used ones as well, and there a few others as well. Least expensive are the medium caliber ones in 8mm and 9.3x74r since these are pretty commonly used for driven game hunting on the Continent. These tend to range in the $4,000 and up catagory. These are good, solid, nicely made guns, used a great deal in Europe. (standard configuration tend to be boxlock, double trigger, extracters, minimal engracing, and then you can add on extras or options like nicer wood, more engraving, etc for more money. O/Us can be a little cheaper than SxS in Europe, but most Americans who want a double rifle don't want an O/U so they are not as easy to find in the US (relatively speaking).

If you want a large African calibre like 470NE, 375H&H, 500NE, etc these are more expensive on the whole, though Merkels in these calibres can still be had for under $10,000. If you want a larger one there are other makers Heym, the American Butch Sercy, etc. but these all take you in the 10,000+ range. But keep in mind we are comparing these to MUCH more expensive British rifles (40,000+) so "moderately priced is relative."

Some examples that are pretty typical that came up from quick google searching (note I'm not endorsing or promoting either gun):

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30&ctl=GunsDetails&mid=409&StyleID=3&GunID=1626

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/owatonna/fine_rifle/1540488_merk141e_owa.jsp?hierarchyId=11893

Hope this helps

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I ordered & recieved this wallet on Saturday.

pFILSON1-2241602dt.jpg

Personally, I think it is a wallet worthy of adventure.

Thoughts? Comments? Rude gestures?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

OJEditor

New in Town
Viola,

There were actually a couple of broad types of shotgun carried by 19th- and early 20th-century explorers. Most here are familiar with the typical side-by-side Purdey/Holland/Lang 12- or 20-bore, used for shooting Guinea fowl and the like for the pot. However, a lot of those explorers were also notable naturalists, and frequently carried very small-bore guns for collecting: 28-bore or even .410. Richard Meinertzhagen had probably the nicest one ever made, a Royal by Holland and Holland, but most were much less grand; some were single-shot, some even folded.

Steve Bodio (author of Good Guns), wrote a piece about these guns for the Classic Kit section of Overland Journal a couple of years ago. A very interesting and little-known category of weapon.

MB5

One of the Regulars
OJEditor said:
Steve Bodio (author of Good Guns), wrote a piece about these guns for the Classic Kit section of Overland Journal a couple of years ago. A very interesting and little-known category of weapon.

That was the Summer 2008 issue (p. 106), which happens to be the free preview issue. You can download a PDF of it on their website.

http://www.overlandjournal.com/journal/

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I hadn't thought of the little .410s at all, that could be very interesting. Especially in comparative rarity stacked up to the (still pretty sweet) Winchester Model 1897 shotgun I was pondering.

I guess I have a bit of the adventure = buffalo gun myself. lol

ChadHahn

New in Town
Bruce Wayne said:
I ordered & recieved this wallet on Saturday.

Personally, I think it is a wallet worthy of adventure.

Thoughts? Comments? Rude gestures?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

I have that wallet as well. I like it although I am on my second one and need to send that one back to Filson. The stitching keeps unraveling. I don't know if it's that I stuff it too full or that the thread is cheap.

At least since it's Filson, I can just call them up, tell them the problem, send it in and get a new one in the mail.

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo